Sponsored

Cam cover oil leak warning

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I suspect it applies to all model yrs of GT. It would appear to be mainly down to an inability to tighten bolts correctly in the factory as the workers obviously don’t give a damn. The newer cars are made in the same facility by the same staff.

From what I've seen the Gen 3 has fewer bolts and locations to screw them into, so it does really only apply to Gen 2 Coyotes I reckon? I guess gen 3 owners will need to keep an eye on the bolts if they want to avoid oil leaks?
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6049-M50B
Sponsored

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just been to my local Ford dealer to get 10 of these bolts and they did not recognise the part number. They told me that because my car is UK registered the parts could well be different?? Oh yeah.. is that right????? They also told me the TSB does not apply to UK cars so there obviously isnt an issue with them??? I thought I looked about 58 yrs old, not 3!!

So, I need to try and get some from the USA now.

OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Just been to my local Ford dealer to get 10 of these bolts and they did not recognise the part number. They told me that because my car is UK registered the parts could well be different?? Oh yeah.. is that right????? They also told me the TSB does not apply to UK cars so there obviously isnt an issue with them??? I thought I looked about 58 yrs old, not 3!!

yeah they don't just put the steering wheel on the other side, they build a different version of the Coyote for the UK market. The USA version uses imperial bolts whereas we use metric. someone in the factory measures out the oil and coolant in litres for the UK cars and buried down on the crown of each piston our cars have a portrait of Her Majesty the Queen instead of Abraham Lincoln. Totally different part numbers.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah they don't just put the steering wheel on the other side, they build a different version of the Coyote for the UK market. The USA version uses imperial bolts whereas we use metric. someone in the factory measures out the oil and coolant in litres for the UK cars and buried down on the crown of each piston our cars have a portrait of Her Majesty the Queen instead of Abraham Lincoln. Totally different part numbers.
you forgot to mention the metric paint, oh and the panel gaps measured in 10mm increments rather than 1/4 inches.

OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer will be telling you that Ford build the UK mustang in Dagenham and the German one in Cologne next.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride

I don't know about the TSB (though I cannot imagine it would not affect export cars), but they may be right about the part numbers. When I've ordered parts from the local dealer, they've always had to spend some time figuring out what the EU part number equivalent was for the US part number I gave them. Unlike your idiot dealer, the dealer here did bother to take the time to figure it out though.

Based on the time it took, and them wanting to get a look at the broken part in my car too, I worry the Ford system is so primitive that they actually had to find the US part in a diagram, and then go to the EU version of the same diagram and find the same part and see what the part number was there. Hope it's not like that, but ...

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found the parts instantly at Levittown Ford in the USA but they want $68 for shipping!!! I know for a fact a Jiffy bag with 10 bolts inside, weighing less than 2lbs doesn't cost $68 to ship to the UK.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I found the parts instantly at Levittown Ford in the USA but they want $68 for shipping!!! I know for a fact a Jiffy bag with 10 bolts inside, weighing less than 2lbs doesn't cost $68 to ship to the UK.
If you ask in the levittown ponsored forum here, you may get a discount code that gives free shipping to e.g. stackry in the US. If so, you can try to see here if it will be cheaper to ship to you via stackry: https://www.stackry.com/en/shipping-calculator

That's how I order most stuff from the USA. But I don't understand why the local dealer refuses to order it for you.

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
E370F115-2C61-4FB8-9F54-C435123E19AB.jpeg
DF44EF52-55D2-4A4C-9DAC-D66805D473D6.jpeg

These are what you need. GT500 coil covers and full set of Bolts.
I had oil leakage whilst at the track from the back drivers side cover.
No chance of getting in there to fix the bolts or gasket. So it was full change up.
Not had any issues or leaking since and I don’t expect to.

OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe worth taking a bolt out and measuring it up etc. There was/is a place at the Silverstone circuit next to forza italia that will almost certainly have them in stock. They sell bolts and nuts and that’s all. Can’t remember the name of the shop though. Of course you will need new gaskets too, but maybe try another ford dealer/modurstang/gt101.

interesting Perspex lid on the air box above. Been meaning to do that myself for ages too

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the tips guys. I have found a kind soul who subs to my You Tube channel, “Nigels modelling bench” and lives in Detroit.
he is getting them for me.
Nick, the bolts are just flanged M6 x 40 or so. There is a sleeve which stops the bolt breaking the plastic cover which I could easily turn up on the large but at around $2 each for the bolt and spacer it’s not worth it.

Bridgie. I would love to go for the GT covers but here in the UK I think that would be expensive? Maybe if I take a vacation in the states I’ll visit a breaker?
Sponsored