Sponsored

Calipers Don't Clear Rotor

jwillis1204

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
So I've got a stupid question that I hope has a simple answer: I pulled my GT non-PP four pot calipers off while installing Konis, and now they won't clear the rotor on either driver or passenger side for reinstallation. I was under the impression that I wouldn't need to compress the pistons if I didn't touch the brakes (IE compress pedal or otherwise disturb them from where they were pre-removal). What gives?

If I do need to compress the pistons, do I need a special tool, or can I jury rig something up? Don't really want to have to get a rental to go to work tomorrow :paddle:
Sponsored

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Grab a big screw driver and put the handle side in there and force it open.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Push the pads in on both sides and insert the upper side of the caliper first. Make sure the pads do not move.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
They will creep in from bending the lines around and whatnot. Mine did the same thing but it won't take much to push them back far enough to slide them over the rotor.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
They will creep in from bending the lines around and whatnot. Mine did the same thing but it won't take much to push them back far enough to slide them over the rotor.
^^This, Almost every time I've ever had the caliper off any of my cars I needed to push the pistons in slightly.

OP
OP

jwillis1204

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
New stupid(er) question: Turns out my buddy managed to break lose a couple of the 4 bolts that hold the two halves of the caliper together, rather than loosening the 2 bolts that hold the caliper to the spindle. We saw it right away since the caliper immediately started weeping fluid. Tightened the bolts back, fluid stopped seeping, all seemed well, went on to the rest of the suspension work.

Fast forward to today, I notice that fluid is weeping from the caliper again, but all 4 bolts the hold the caliper together are tight. Is a seal toast, should I completely pull it apart and reseat everything, or do I just need a new caliper? If it's not painfully obvious, all my previous wrenching experience has been on cars with slide calipers.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
the rears definitely need a caliper piston compressor. had to rent one from autozone to get my rears done. however with the brembos you could push the pistons with your fingers. not sure about the non pp fronts

far as it leaking fluid...no clue on that one! sounds like a seal or a tear in the line?

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
New stupid(er) question: Turns out my buddy managed to break lose a couple of the 4 bolts that hold the two halves of the caliper together, rather than loosening the 2 bolts that hold the caliper to the spindle. We saw it right away since the caliper immediately started weeping fluid. Tightened the bolts back, fluid stopped seeping, all seemed well, went on to the rest of the suspension work.

Fast forward to today, I notice that fluid is weeping from the caliper again, but all 4 bolts the hold the caliper together are tight. Is a seal toast, should I completely pull it apart and reseat everything, or do I just need a new caliper? If it's not painfully obvious, all my previous wrenching experience has been on cars with slide calipers.

Is this the Brembo 6 pots or the non-pp 4 pots? You may need a new seal, but a caliper costs $80 iirc

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
use a c clamp to compress with the pads still in, like this

caliper3-25423.jpg
Sponsored