Sponsored

Calimer Stage 3 MT82 or Magnum XL

17BlueCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
Well.....the stock mt82 didn't last that long at all. After about 10 passes trying to shift into 3rd gear at 7800 is a no go! Added the blowfish bracket and that didn't help. Driving normal 3rd is ok but not under high rpms.

That being said, which is better, stronger, Calimer Stage 3 MT82 of Magnum XL? I want something thats going to perform and hold up. Eventually I will be adding a Whipple and really pushing the car.

Thoughts?

Still have stock driveshaft,clutch,shifter so I will have to buy these either way.
Sponsored

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I'd say grab the MGW shifter first, see how you like it, maybe boost the car with the Whipple, and save for the transmission until you absolutely need it. 3rd gear lockout (in my experience on my 15) is often a result of the body-mounted stock shifter not cooperating with the twisting of the car under load.

Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If its the Calimer option with the G-Force 1-4 gear set, I would say go with that. (If were talking 'strength')

The tremec is a badass transmission but with all of the extras needed it really adds up. Also worth considering is the fact that the T56 would ideally enjoy a numerically higher rear gear to make up for the different ratios- I see you have PP (3.73) which isn't terrible but Ideally you'd like to have a 4.10 or higher, especially if you plan on staying NA for a little while.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
The lockout normally isn't the transmission itself. I experienced high RPM lock outs with my MT82 and those went away when I replaced the factory fill with better fluid, added a Steeda trans mount bushing insert and an aftermarket shifter.

OP
OP
17BlueCoyote

17BlueCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
I'd say grab the MGW shifter first, see how you like it, maybe boost the car with the Whipple, and save for the transmission until you absolutely need it. 3rd gear lockout (in my experience on my 15) is often a result of the body-mounted stock shifter not cooperating with the twisting of the car under load.
I was hopeful that adding the blowfish bracket would have helped with locking the shifter down, but as of last night it still doesn't want to go into 3rd

Sponsored

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I was hopeful that adding the blowfish bracket would have helped with locking the shifter down, but as of last night it still doesn't want to go into 3rd
Oh okay I didn't know you were permanently locked out of third. I thought you were just having high rpm shift issues. How is 4th?

OP
OP
17BlueCoyote

17BlueCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
Oh okay I didn't know you were permanently locked out of third. I thought you were just having high rpm shift issues. How is 4th?
It's not permanently locked out. I will go into third at normal driving with a slight grind. But not at high rpms. 4th is fine

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It's not permanently locked out. I will go into third at normal driving with a slight grind. But not at high rpms. 4th is fine
If you were locked out 100% of the time, I'd agree with the notion that the trans is busted. Given the fact that you can shift into 3rd, and the only time it locks you out is at high RPMs then that's a pretty good sign that the transmission itself is fine for the most part, you're just being locked out due to either shifter or clutch not being able to keep up.

I'd start with a trans mounted shifter first before dropping $3000+ on a transmission and then pairing that up with the stock shifter and still having issues.

OP
OP
17BlueCoyote

17BlueCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
If you were locked out 100% of the time, I'd agree with the notion that the trans is busted. Given the fact that you can shift into 3rd, and the only time it locks you out is at high RPMs then that's a pretty good sign that the transmission itself is fine for the most part, you're just being locked out due to either shifter or clutch not being able to keep up.

I'd start with a trans mounted shifter first before dropping $3000+ on a transmission and then pairing that up with the stock shifter and still having issues.
I was thinking the same, maybe the stock clutch is shot. Just hate to spend more money on MT82 components if in the long run a magnum xl will be better. Such a dilemma lol

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
At your power levels, the Stage 3 MT82 is just fine.

I'd say if you were planning to throw 1000+ hp eventually, you might as well go with a TR6060 from the start and forget the MT82.

Sponsored

VTR16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 400A PP MT82
I had high RPM lockout going into 4th on my MT82 3.73 car w a Whipple. Had the trans bushing and RST in there as well and still couldn’t shift. Never even tried 2nd WOT into 3rd cuz it’s a useless gear at my power level w the 3.73. Mods are in my signature. Once I added an MGW it’s fine. Picked up an extra MT82 and Calimer has had it for over 3 weeks now to do his newer GForce gearset build. Switching to the 26 spline input shaft as well. I’m shipping the RST to McLeod to have it rebuilt into the RXT and figured I’d just opt for the 26 spline since the clutch it being rebuilt and having the trans built at the same time. There’s no extra cost from McLeod or Calimer to change to the 26 spline so I figured why not. Have a new OEM clutch master cylinder, OEM TOB and pilot bearing going on at the same time for good measure.

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So this is a great question. I’m in the throes of a TR6060 swap, and I often ask myself if I should’ve done the Calimer GForce. Maybe I’m wrong in my thinking, but I still think the TR6060 or Magnum are the way to go. My reasoning is the shifting due to better synchros. Am I wrong on this, but I assume the Calimer still uses single cone synchros... same as stock? If the shifting is as good on the Calimer MT82, then go with that. Why not? Save the money from buying a new driveshaft, new clutch discs, wiring, tuning, rear diff.... it goes on and on.

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
I had a stock MT82 with Mantic Clutch and QA1 CF D shaft. I went ahead and upgraded to the stage 3 MT82 w Gforce gears from Ben Calimer. I did not want to respline my clutch and send the d shaft to fit the tremec.

So far so good with the MT82 Stage 3. Night and day difference. I paired it with Barton Hybrid 3 and just smooth shifting.

My mods are Whipple Gen 3 E85 880-900 rwhp

Tricky Dickey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I had a stock MT82 with Mantic Clutch and QA1 CF D shaft. I went ahead and upgraded to the stage 3 MT82 w Gforce gears from Ben Calimer. I did not want to respline my clutch and send the d shaft to fit the tremec.

So far so good with the MT82 Stage 3. Night and day difference. I paired it with Barton Hybrid 3 and just smooth shifting.

My mods are Whipple Gen 3 E85 880-900 rwhp
How is it for sound? Noticeable whine now?

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
Yes I do hear the gear whine only if i turn down the radio and grandma shifting. Besides that my exhaust and whipple whine is louder.
Sponsored