Californians - front plate or no?

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
So, I'm debating whether to put the front plate on my new Mustang. I've gotten various opinions on whether California po-po actually ticket for not having the front plate installed, and I don't want to drill holes in my front bumper just to make the car look ugly. Thoughts?

Alternative question: if you're in Cali and did put on your front plates, did you use an alternative method to avoid said holes? If so, what did you use? Thanks!
I'm in California and have owned several performance V-8 cars over the past decade. None with a front plate. Plus, my cars have been louder than stock exhaust and tinted windows - all technically illegal. No police stops at all. I believe it is because I drive pretty mellow and maybe because I am older and probably not worth their time. If someday I am stopped for any of the above, I will simply explain that I have worked hard to have a nice car set up the way I like it and acknowledge that I'm wrong and above all be polite. Then I'll accept my ticket if it gets to that. Sometimes it's what one says that makes the difference.
Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I use my mustang as a daily so I have a front bumper bracket for the plate. It doesn't look bad at all, however for the viper I have a removeable front plate bracket that just sides into the front grille so it doesn't always have a plate on, just when parking in metro areas where police are more strict and likely to ticket. I am sure there is a product similar for the mustang, maybe one that would slide into/clip on to the lower grille section.

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I just want to share my experience living in the Bay Area. In general, a cop will not pull you over just for not having front plates. However, if they pulled you over for something else, say speeding/loud exhaust, they would likely cite you for no front plate as well.
As long as you drive responsible on the road, a cop will not pull you over for that

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I had a sto n show on an older car and it was ok. I upgraded that car with a tow hook mounted unit and used it for several cars.

On the mustang I have an attachment for my tow hook as well but never use it lol.

In CA you can also get a vinyl decal and that is now legal. I see a lot of cars here in the bay area do that and if your worried about getting pulled over I would go that route.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
In CA you can also get a vinyl decal and that is now legal. I see a lot of cars here in the bay area do that and if your worried about getting pulled over I would go that route.
Iā€™ll have to look into that, thanks.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I am split on this.
I wonder why vehicles fronts don't have a designed into the bumper spot for a front plate.
After watching so many you tube dash cam video's of hit and runs, where the rear camera would have had a clear shot at the front plate if there was one. And the amount of morons with faces in their phones rear ending people.
One hand I want the camera to have the plate of the tool that clobbers me from the rear, but also understand that the cheezy brackets the oems use to install a front plate are not pretty add ons.
One rear ending hit and run and I think your thoughts on this will change or at least be up in the air.

In "hollywood" do they fail the car when inspection rolls around for lack of plate?

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
I'm in San Diego, been driving without a front plate without issue for about four years, just couldn't bring myself to drill the holes. Even when I got pulled over they didn't mention the plate.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I lived in Illinois for 40 years and now California for 10 and Iā€™ve never had a front plate on any car Iā€™ve ever owned.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
In "hollywood" do they fail the car when inspection rolls around for lack of plate?
nopeā€¦lived there for 8 years the first time, and 3 the second time and the inspection never looked at the front bumper. They were too worried about smog šŸ„ø

funny storyā€¦just got my first front plate warning in Texas, have yet to run a front plate in almost 40 years of drivine in ā€œfront plate requiredā€ states šŸ˜‚

EdwardS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
You won't have a problem with no front plate in CA unless you get a parking ticket. Then they'll add the no front plate ticket on top. And if you get pulled over doing anything obnoxious--ie where you're endangering the public like 85mph+ in a 65 or anything wreckless then they'll throw the book at you including no front plate. And if you're catless and the car sounds obnoxious then the no front plate is an additional reason to cite you and throw the book at you. My general rule is if I'm street driving a car in Cali that isn't emissions legal, I keep everything else kosher... no tint, I keep the front plate on, and I obey the rules. Never had a problem in over 25 years.

Sponsored

DTeal23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium GT
3 cars with no front plate, no tickets, no hassell.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Never, on any of my cars. Get a ticket once a year at most, $25 fix it. The amount of times I've been pulled over for speeding, exhaust etc and the cop settled for giving me just a plate or tint ticket is wild.
Sponsored