Sponsored

California Special Splitter Install

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Pics are no longer linked from Photobucket. I uploaded a .PDF files with pics on post #97. Hope this helps anyone searching.

Today marks exactly 1 year since I have had my new Mustang. Yeah, I picked it up on Mustang day 2015, pretty cool. So as a birthday present I picked up a California Special front splitter from Levittown Ford. Here is a quick write up on the install.
As you can see the GT/CS splitter is wider and more aggressive looking. Since I have a GT Premium and not the Performance Pack I can bolt this splitter directly without changing the belly pan.
[FONT=&quot]I put the front of the car up on jack stands and removed the front wheels for better access. You may not have to but it worked well for me.

[/FONT]
I started by removing the 6 7mm screws from the front underside of the original splitter. I then removed the 3 7mm screws on each side of the splitter.
Next move the wheelwell and remove 3 plastic tabs in the front of the inner wheelwell. Push in the center of each tab then pry the tab out with a screwdriver or a panel removal tool. There is also a 7mm screw in the corner of the splitter here. Remove it.

There are 2 additional plastic tabs underneath that hold the fender liner to the belly pan. To remove this type of tab take a pick or other sharp tool and pry the center part up.

Take a screwdriver or panel tool and pry the center up to loosen the tab. You can pry it all the way out if you want but this isn’t necessary. Then use the tool to pry out the entire tab.
There are also 2 more plastic tabs to remove in order to pull the fender liner out of the way. There is 1 located at the top inside of the fender liner and another holding the liner to the fame. These remove as shown above. Keep these separate! They are a different size and will not interchange. Once removed pull the liner back and tuck it behind the brake rotor to hold it out of the way.
It was at this point I decided to remove the last 2 screws and remove the belly pan. Simply remove the 2 screws in the rear of the pan and slide it back. It will drop free.
With the belly pan out of the way you can see the remaining hardware hold the splitter in place. A 7mm screw on the end, 4 plastic tabs and a final 7mm screw all the way inside. Sorry for the poor photo. Remove these from each side. Don’t worry, the splitter won’t fall off.
After the last tabs and screws are removed, gently push the splitter backward from the center and it will drop free.
You can see how much larger the GT/CS splitter is than the original.
Lift the splitter in place and push it forward to slide the 4 tabs into the matching slots. At this point all the holes should match up. If not gently move each end forward or back until the holes line up. At this point I started the 7mm screws at each end and in the center but left them loose until I had all the tabs and screws started. Installation is now almost the exact reverse of removal.
You will see there are 3 types of plastic tab. The larger one is for connecting the plastic pieces together (fender liner to belly pan) and the smaller ones are connecting the splitter to the nose and the plastic fender liner to the frame. They won’t interchange. The last tab is for the front of the fender liner.
All finished. Total time was less than 2 hours.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I just looked on levittan fords website and it said the PP belly pan is required. So that's not the case. Just a direct bolt on without any mods?

OP
OP
Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Not for the California Special splitter. It is a direct bolt on for non-performance pack cars. No change in belly pan needed.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Installed mine from Levittown Ford last week. Love the new look. Much more aggressive!

I also have the non-PP premium model and it was a direct swap. I went ahead and dropped my belly pan for easier access to the inside clips and the two 7mm bolts that are on the inside.

In all took about 1 - 1.5 hours.

Sponsored

Armen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Vert
What was the cost of the CS splitter?

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
So you're saying I don't need a new belly pan?! I have the v6 model so this will look awesome!

OP
OP
Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
The GT/CS splitter is a direct bolt on for non-PP cars. In fact it won't fit on PP cars. The PP belly pan is different and won't match up.

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
it will fit on pp cars...just gotta buy the non pp belly pan.

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
Hmmmm.... I wonder what this would look like on a non PP ecoboost...

OP
OP
Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
It will look great. And it will fit with no issues. :thumbsup:

DB23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T 200A Auto Ingot
This is excellent thanks so much. I plan on making a day of installing the CS splitter and a new FMIC in the near future.

Pintoracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
15 V6 051A Deep Impact Blue Reverse sensors
Ordered mine Friday! Thanks for the great write up.
Sponsored