California New 2019 Law!!!

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I wonder if any stock exhausts will exceed the 95 dB?
My stock GT350 got dinged at 101.4dB at Laguna Seca at my last track day there. I would assume the F-Type, and even the new 2018 GT Mustangs are at or above 95dB too.
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
My stock GT350 got dinged at 101.4dB at Laguna Seca at my last track day there. I would assume the F-Type, and even the new 2018 GT Mustangs are at or above 95dB too.
What’s this with the valves opened? Also was it 101 db peak? And at what distance

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
What’s this with the valves opened? Also was it 101 db peak? And at what distance
Valves open. About 50ft away. Even if you have it in Normal/Quiet mode, the valves automatically open at a certain load/RPM.

I pass the sound booth at about 5 minutes into the video below. I get the dB reading once I pull into the pits.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Valves open. About 50ft away. Even if you have it in Normal/Quiet mode, the valves automatically open at a certain load/RPM.

I pass the sound booth at about 5 minutes into the video below. I get the dB reading once I pull into the pits.

Did your stock exhaust get you disqualified?

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
Did your stock exhaust get you disqualified?
Yeah, but I knew that going in. You just have to lift and cruise past the sound booth every lap, then you can go all out the rest of the track. Sucks for lap times but at least you can still have some fun at every other part of the course. I was curious and wanted to see how loud it could get so I went flat out during the last session of the day. Laguna Seca has a 90dB sound limit for most track days because of stupid, old, retired folks that decided to move close to a racetrack that's been around since the 60's and then complain about how loud it is.

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Welcome to 2019 where even stock exhaust, regular road cars are encumbered by non-safety laws...On a racetrack...

I wonder how well it would go down if you weren't allowed to "disrupt" the sand in a sand-pit at a country club golf course because the stray silica sand could affect neighbors and they end up getting silicosis....

Or hit a baseball too high at a ball park because the ball might impact an endangered mosquito.

I realize I'm being a bit facetious here, but people don't understand when I tell them just how regulated this hobby is. About the only thing more regulated I can think of is gun lovers - but even they have the second amendment...Us? Bupkis.

My apologies for diverting on this thread. I've get off my soapbox now :facepalm:

Bubba Bear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Sheesh...I was thinking the same thing. How many more idiotic laws will California pass? Good news is we sold our house and are moving out of State. Can’t wait to leave this goofy Sanctuary State. Good bye.
Some of our CA migrants are whining on my city's FB page about how loud exhausts are bothering them and how we need local noise ordinance (to go with all the other stuff they want)

I'm glad we moved out of there a couple of years back so I don't need to worry about this foolishness

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but I knew that going in. You just have to lift and cruise past the sound booth every lap, then you can go all out the rest of the track. Sucks for lap times but at least you can still have some fun at every other part of the course. I was curious and wanted to see how loud it could get so I went flat out during the last session of the day. Laguna Seca has a 90dB sound limit for most track days because of stupid, old, retired folks that decided to move close to a racetrack that's been around since the 60's and then complain about how loud it is.
Sounds like the jackass who built his house on property adjoining a motocross race track that has been there for years. Doesn't like noise and dust and calls the police to complain race days. F*cking people.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to 2019 where even stock exhaust, regular road cars are encumbered by non-safety laws...On a racetrack...

I wonder how well it would go down if you weren't allowed to "disrupt" the sand in a sand-pit at a country club golf course because the stray silica sand could affect neighbors and they end up getting silicosis....

Or hit a baseball too high at a ball park because the ball might impact an endangered mosquito.

I realize I'm being a bit facetious here, but people don't understand when I tell them just how regulated this hobby is. About the only thing more regulated I can think of is gun lovers - but even they have the second amendment...Us? Bupkis.

My apologies for diverting on this thread. I've get off my soapbox now :facepalm:
All excellent points. Some people need to be put in a bubble.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like the jackass who built his house on property adjoining a motocross race track that has been there for years. Doesn't like noise and dust and calls the police to complain race days. F*cking people.
Same thing got my local racetrack closed down about 10 years ago. Altamont Raceway, the birthplace of the 24 Hours of LeMons. That's also been around since the 60's...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altamont_Raceway_Park
https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/R-I-P-Altamont-Raceway-3231903.php

It's literally 5 minutes away from my house and I couldn't wait to grow up and get a chance racing there one day. Sorry for going off topic. I just get pissed off every time I think about it.

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I feel like a total traitor even saying this, but I'll be honest, I didn't know this until the day of closing on my first house. Sadly, it was built on the remains of Riverside Raceway, one of the (I'm told) best tracks out here in it's day. I know Carroll Shelby raced there quite a bit and I did see parts of "The love bug" filmed on it.

These are the same people that complain about people racing at all. Racing on the streets is foolish and illegal, and is the main reason these laws are here, but one thing should be said about providing a safe affordable place to enjoy the hobby. Pointing to Thermal (et al.) isn't a realistic option, and the few "available" road courses here are extremely busy (Not a lot of open track days) and somewhat expensive.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Some of our CA migrants are whining on my city's FB page about how loud exhausts are bothering them and how we need local noise ordinance (to go with all the other stuff they want)

I'm glad we moved out of there a couple of years back so I don't need to worry about this foolishness
If I could "like" this 10x I would. A few more BS laws like this and I'll be in TX. I've already thought about it twice...And my company has an office in Dallas and Houston.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
About the only thing more regulated I can think of is gun lovers - but even they have the second amendment.
And even when we gun owners follow the laws, its never enough. For example, we have a law that says you can't fire a gun within a quarter mile of an occupied building. I found out the hard way that using a bull horn to advise neighbors to come outside did not make it okay to target practice in my back yard.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
A little bit of common sense goes a long way. Generally. Some people you can never satisfy.

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
I feel like a total traitor even saying this, but I'll be honest, I didn't know this until the day of closing on my first house. Sadly, it was built on the remains of Riverside Raceway, one of the (I'm told) best tracks out here in it's day. I know Carroll Shelby raced there quite a bit and I did see parts of "The love bug" filmed on it.

These are the same people that complain about people racing at all. Racing on the streets is foolish and illegal, and is the main reason these laws are here, but one thing should be said about providing a safe affordable place to enjoy the hobby. Pointing to Thermal (et al.) isn't a realistic option, and the few "available" road courses here are extremely busy (Not a lot of open track days) and somewhat expensive.
I went to the last race held at Riverside in 1989. It was a great track and, when built in 1957, was truly "in the middle of nowhere". As Kalifornia has grown, places like that get surrounded by development and eventually the complaints and the increased land value kill them. Same thing happened to OCIR.
Sponsored