Sponsored

California New 2019 Law!!!

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
Question- I have an H pipe and active exhaust. Quiet mode is still very quiet (too quiet). Normal is WAY over the max. Is there any way to adjust the modes to normal is a bit quieter?
Sponsored

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Thermal R&D cat-back exhaust and I am not too much worried about this BS new law/fine. This will go the same way as the cell-phone law. Will be strictly enforced for 30/60/90 days, might even go 6 months, then it will be forgotten.

Most of the exhausts are only obnoxious while WOT. At normal, under aggressive driving my exhaust, at least, does not bark super loud. I have a lot of respect for my neighbors so I putt through my neighborhood, between traffic lights and when in an area where my exhaust will echo. I leave the aggressive driving for when on the freeway or out in the mountain twisty roads.

I thought this law was designed for the mega loud harleys but seems to exclude motorcycles ?!?!?

Bottomline, don't drive like a turd and you most likely have nothing to worry about.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
...I have a lot of respect for my neighbors so I putt through my neighborhood, between traffic lights and when in an area where my exhaust will echo...Bottomline, don't drive like a turd and you most likely have nothing to worry about.
I definitely agree with you. I do tend to get on the loud pedal (pun intended) on certain 45-55 mph roads, but I don't pull holeshots, burnouts, or go over the speed limit (Seriously). I also short shift in neighborhoods, by schools and so forth. It's the problem children that cause bills like this to happen.

I hope you are right, and hope that CHP isn't sitting at every freeway on ramp. c' est la vie I guess.

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Here in Louisiana he would do fine. I'm running Corsa Extremes and my son is LTH/Catless/Corsa Extremes.
I drove to Louisiana and back over the New Year. Admittedly I was in a Ford Fusion rather than the Stang.

Louisiana has literally the worst drivers I've ever come across. Always tailgaiting at 6 inches no matter the speed or if there is a lane to pass. Saw one guy bin his truck right into the ditch during a lightning storm because he tore past me at 70mph (visibility about 20 feet) and span off the road.

I would have assumed it was the drive through daiquiri places... But New Orleans drivers were.... a bit better.

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I thought this law was designed for the mega loud harleys but seems to exclude motorcycles ?!?!?
Makes no sense. Motorbikes round here are always soooo loud. They're always setting car alarms off on my street.

Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
So gt350 owners will always get a ticket with factory exhaust.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
SEMA SAN put this out today actually: https://www.semasan.com/legislative...-vs-fiction-californias-new-exhaust-noise-law

The issue really isn't that loudness levels were changed, it is more about the fact that:

1. You don't get a mere "slap on the wrist" $25 fine
2. You don't get a "real" citation

Furthermore, CA BAR does not allow for one to check for sound level compliance beforehand. This is ridiculous if you ask me. No, I can't tell you if your car will cause you to get a ticket. But --- I can tell you if it's quiet enough after you get a ticket and try and fix it.

I didn't have time today, but I'm going to email the SEMA guy about that, and see if they can put any pressure to revert back to the original law, or at least help sponsor a new bill that requires BAR provide free preventive testing. Likewise, I am going to ask the SEMA guy if they can help us enthusiasts figure out a way to approximate the J1169 test. I'm also going to reach out to the BAR about the same thing.

Despite the bad rap the CA referees get, I've heard from the kit-car guys that the referees are good car-loving guys, and seriously work with you on the problem...if you treat them with respect, and explain what you're trying to do. Even just knowing the J1169 test RPM and or Load would be helpful since that is ambiguous. And to confirm that the 1998 spec is in fact being used instead of the 2007 spec.

The fact that SEMA put this out lets us know that there is definitely a huge issue with it, and the buzz seems to be working :)

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
So gt350 owners will always get a ticket with factory exhaust.
i'd like to know the answer to this. does AB-1824 really affect Ford OEM exhaust? or are gt350's and gt350R's exempt? the bill says it applies to vehicles and motorcycles with “modified or excessively loud exhaust or muffler systems.” so for example, my R is not "modified" but might fall under the "or excessively loud" part. but really, fining a shelby for OEM noise? i wonder if the normal exhaust mode is under 95 decibels?

if anyone knows how this applies to OEM exhaust, pls chime in.

Edit: I was reading on a ZR1 forum that, according a few of the owners commenting, OEM exhaust has nothing to worry about with this law. But that was only opinion, not substantiated fact. That makes sense to me, but I am looking for something concrete and written from the bill itself.

Last edited:

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
CVC 27150(a) could apply under "excessive" but I think it would be easy to have the courts dismiss it when the BAR checks it out and sees everything is completely stock. As to the testing fees/fines? I'm really not sure.

CVC 27151 though wouldn't apply in my opinion because of the key word "modified".

But that's just my opinion.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
i'd like to know the answer to this. does AB-1824 really affect Ford OEM exhaust? or are gt350's and gt350R's exempt? the bill says it applies to vehicles and motorcycles with “modified or excessively loud exhaust or muffler systems.”
I don't think ANY factory exhaust is exempt. Car and Driver interviewed the guy at Ford responsible for sound levels. They asked specifically how Ford gets away with how loud the 2018-19 Mustangs are. His answer was that there are NO national standards just many many many changeable local standards, including individual city ones. So manufacturers CAN make an exhaust as loud as they feel like but try to have the quietest setting (for adjustable) sort of comply with the majority they are aware of. LoL So there could be some real interesting court cases coming up.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just as a follow up, the rep from SEMA did get back with me:

Regarding the testing method, you are correct, J1169 is indeed a legacy test and the updated SAE standard is J1492. That said, California law is very specific about which standard is being used—Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998).

J1492 utilizes a “sweep test,” which permits continuous evaluation of exhaust system sound over a range of engine speeds. J1169 only measures single rate of ¾ engine speed, which some modern cars are unable to achieve when stationery due to engine management and/or fuel cut-off systems.

We are aware of this update and have amended our model legislation (on which California’s law was/is based) to reflect the change. We will be working with our allies in California, and the other states that utilize objective methods for measuring exhaust noise, to update the statute. We will also be working to rectify the fix-it ticket law.

As for the ticket prices, what is sited is the state’s recommendation. Ultimately it is up the local law enforcement agencies. Which city/county are you in? Their fine schedule should be publicly available. For instance, Los Angeles county follows the state’s suggestion for the fines.
I added the obvious emphasis above. So it would seem that J1169 is in effect, and that I was wrong in thinking it was idle speed, and is actually 3/4 max engine speed.

I haven't emailed BAR yet. There is a fine line between asking for the lenience back (In other words, bring back the fix it ticket structure) opposed to complaining about the 95db limit or other things that are being said that only make us look silly "my car deserves freedom of speech" or "my rights are to be as loud as I want" etc... I want to propose they offer free (or nearly free) testing because only offering it after being cited is a bit backwards logic. If the desired effect is to keep our cars quiet whilst still allowing aftermarket companies to produce exhaust systems, then it would be in their best interest to enable us to do so.

No different than the Magnuson-Moss act...Companies can't deny you warranty if you use a Fram oil filter...unless they offer motorcraft filters for free...

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
There is no interest in the state supporting aftermarket exhausts.

And as per usual a few people who have to be stupid loud make it difficult for the rest of us...

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
There is no interest in the state supporting aftermarket exhausts.

And as per usual a few people who have to be stupid loud make it difficult for the rest of us...
I agree with you completely, but at the same time almost all of the larger aftermarket exhaust companies are located here. So shooting your tax base (Whether it be our sales tax buying the exhaust, or the company's taxable profits) in the foot seems foolish. Of course I say that drinking my water in a cup that doesn't have a straw that didn't come in a free "non-reusable" plastic bag... :headbang:
Sponsored