Sponsored

CAI - open or closed when paired with ram air hood?

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
I've got the Trufiber ram air hood, and I'm getting ready to get a CAI amongst other things for myself this Christmas. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to go ahead and get an open-top intake rather than one in an enclosed box to pair with the hood? Normally I'd stay with a closed system to avoid heat transfer in the engine bay, but I'm not sure how much of a difference the hood will actually make (I bought it for aesthetics). The hood does direct air right over to where the airbox is.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I would say if you have a hood that truly delivers air to the airbox location (many just say that but don't really function well), then it makes sense to get a intake to match.

Between that and opening up the front grill you should have some nice fresh air going in there.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on Velossa Tech BigMouth

OP
OP
raceredftw

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
I was actually going to post a separate thread on that, but since you bring it up, I was wondering what y'all would think about pairing the Velossa Tech with an open-top CAI (to take advantage of the hood's ram air effect, which I assume works as advertised since I've never seen anything to the contrary)? Synergistic, or overkill?

Does anyone have any data showing real world improvement to be gained with the Velossa Tech Bigmouth? I understand the theory as to why it's an improvement over stock, but I need to be able to justify ripping my bumper off yet again (I'm pretty sure those clips aren't gonna survive many trips off the car).

Edit: regarding the Velossa Tech, has anyone had any problems with rain/water getting up the tube and onto the air filter? It's the same issue I have to scratch my head over with my hood. I suppose I could always just get a prefilter.
Sponsored

Last edited: