Sponsored

C8 Z06 spied at Milford Proving Grounds, a new flat plane crank has joined the chat

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Which Ferrari ? 60* v12 flat plane sounds awesome. 90* flat plane not so much.
We are talking about a V-8, quit trolling. :):crazy:
Sponsored

OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The ferrari crank looks like a 4 cylinder crank. The outside throws are up when the inside throws are down. So first pair up second pair down third pair down forth pair up

The VooDoo has alternate throws. First pair up, second pair down third pair up forth pair down
I see now, I had bad information unfortunately. I found this which explains some of the decision making, a lot of it seemed to revolve around being the best option to save having to re-engineer tons of other items. https://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustan...-gt-more-insights-on-the-gt350-voodoo-v8.html

I found some people smarter than me discussing things, and it doesn't seem like the layout they choose is a huge amount more unbalanced than a UDDU type setup. It still has the traditional flat plane vibrations, but with a small amount extra which is why they have opposed counterweights at each end. I still think the firing order and unequal length exhaust manifolds have a lot to do with why it sounds as nasty as it does though.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
We are talking about a V-8, quit trolling
Oh well that's different then. Chevy went with flatplane cause with the new DOHC engine, they wanted it's own sound. I still don't like it :)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
but with a small amount extra which is why
.....things like oil filters fell off.......

They should have gone with a proven design, or done much more testing.

Yes the header design has some to do with sound, but I doubt the Zo6 in the vid has equal length headers like the ferrari.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
.....things like oil filters fell off.......

They should have gone with a proven design, or done much more testing.

Yes the header design has some to do with sound, but I doubt the Zo6 in the vid has equal length headers like the ferrari.
All flat planes have excessive vibration though. I think the main drawback of the UDUD setup is that inertia is higher so it won't rev as fast. The extra polar imbalance is fairly minimal compared to the typical designs. BUT I just learned all this stuff like 30 minutes ago, so I'm far from an expert or even that knowledgeable, lol. I would think though if there were major problems we'd know by now. The recent TSB about the secondary chain tensioner explains most of the 19/20 engine failures in my opinion, and some dude on here had 101K on his GT350 which is pretty wild. And Ford would have run those engines through the ringer during development.

I want to agree they should have used a "proven" design, but sometimes it's nice to see a company try something different. The more variety, the better.

Sponsored

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Mike00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Triumph Thunderbird
I’m in for a new Z06. Damn shame a manual won’t be installed. But, alas, they will take my currency.
Given how limited C8 is right now - It's going to take a long time for that to happen. I bought an 18 Z06 M7 for $67k full PPF in march last year before prices sky rocketed. I think it's going to be a bit before C7 Z06 gets to a more normalized market between chips and limited C8 production issues.

Fast forward today and they are approaching $80k... It's nuts.
Sponsored

Last edited: