Status
Not open for further replies.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I always looked at sports cars like this.

If you drive a jeep the Mustang is a sports car.

If you drive a Lambo not so much.

I consider my car a sports car.

Mileage will vary.
Ask your insurance agent
Sponsored

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
With all of the problems Ford has had with aluminum hoods, I'm suprised people want Ford to use more aluminum.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
I don't think so, mild hybrids are not that heavy and just starting with an aluminum frame would weigh considerably less.
We already know the next platform will be shared one that pretty much HAS to increase size and weight....so adding AWD/HYBRID/LARGER GAS TANK will just add on top of that.

Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Paint that doesn’t chip when you look at it
Is your car white?

Ive got more rockchips on this car around the windshield frame and hood than my Yellow 2016 ever had even after putting it through 2 winters and 40k miles on it.

OP
OP

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yeah I just washed the car this morning. I am astounded by the amount of little chips in the hood. Probably doing ppf when the front gets repainted.

I was just talking to the wife yesterday about the fact that any way I go home I have to go through a construction zone.

I like PPF but it’s a double edged sword. Works great for rocks but if not replaced regularly it won’t come off in one piece. Actually it’s a complete pain to get off. Maybe the new stuff is getting better.

With all of the problems Ford has had with aluminum hoods, I'm suprised people want Ford to use more aluminum.

I think Ford has gotten their aluminum failure rate down. Aluminum is just hard to work with from a coatings perspective.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is your car white?

Ive got more rockchips on this car around the windshield frame and hood than my Yellow 2016 ever had even after putting it through 2 winters and 40k miles on it.
Nope - Ruby Red

I think the only S550 that hides any chips well enough is probably the Magnetic Gray.

Coming from a prior 2016 S550 and into my 2018, same Ruby Red on both - the paint still sucks.

So if Ford is to make any improvements on the S650 - improve the freakin paint process or thickness of applied paint and clear - this shit chips abnormally too easy for daily use.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
If the direction was more power and weight or less power and weight, what would you prefer?

Current: 460hp - 3,800lbs

Option 1: 500hp - 4,000lbs

Option 2: 440hp - 3,500lbs
Can’t believe no one responded here. It shouldn’t even be a question.

All day option 2.

Reasons: same acceleration and performance with less power AND

• Better braking
  • Better handling
  • Better heat dissipation and control
  • And importantly emissions, mpg.
The last point is especially important so that we can continue seeing performance cars like this. Otherwise we won’t have the option.

Now that all said, once you start with a lighter platform THEN add all the go fast bits for a special edition. The performance payback will be greater.

I wish they’d make the mustang 15/16 size for the next generation. Don’t make an aluminum unibody, but allow more high strength steel for thinner crash impact zones to allow the same ‘feel’ of inside space with physically smaller dimensions outside. Similar to what’s Honda does.

If a GT weighs 3800lbs, a 15/16 version would weigh 3563 without the use of any different materials. Add some HSS and you’re down to 3500.

MustangS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
'15 Vert GT
Gas tank on passenger side of car.

If I was in Britain, no problem, but here it’s a pain to open the huge doors that are on the same side as the pump, posts, and trash cans at the gas station.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Can’t believe no one responded here. It shouldn’t even be a question.

All day option 2.

Reasons: same acceleration and performance with less power AND

• Better braking
  • Better handling
  • Better heat dissipation and control
  • And importantly emissions, mpg.
The last point is especially important so that we can continue seeing performance cars like this. Otherwise we won’t have the option.

Now that all said, once you start with a lighter platform THEN add all the go fast bits for a special edition. The performance payback will be greater.

I wish they’d make the mustang 15/16 size for the next generation. Don’t make an aluminum unibody, but allow more high strength steel for thinner crash impact zones to allow the same ‘feel’ of inside space with physically smaller dimensions outside. Similar to what’s Honda does.

If a GT weighs 3800lbs, a 15/16 version would weigh 3563 without the use of any different materials. Add some HSS and you’re down to 3500.
I would love to see that also but with 3/4 of the American population overweight that’s not going to happen.

I just hope it stays the same size but gets lighter. Camaro tried the smaller thing and smaller sales where the result.

OP
OP

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

If I was in Britain, no problem, but here it’s a pain to open the huge doors that are on the same side as the pump, posts, and trash cans at the gas station.
I don’t understand that either. I think it goes back to the Lazy American thing. Walk all the way around the car? Do I look like a marathon runner? I see people get out of there car to check their mail, then drive up 20 feet. Funny as hell because it takes more energy to climb in and out of a car vs walking 20 ft.

I think Ford put the fill spout on the opposite side of the car that the wiring harness was on. I don’t know if it was just that way or planned but keeping as many wires away from a plastic fuel tank seems like a good idea.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I would love to see that also but with 3/4 of the American population overweight that’s not going to happen.

I just hope it stays the same size but gets lighter. Camaro tried the smaller thing and smaller sales where the result.
Camaro is not exactly smaller. They proportioned it differently. It’s hard to explain, it sits big people fine. It’s hard to see from is the issue.

The Camaro's wheelbase is almost 4” longer than the mustang. Not shrinking but lightening costs more than a small, and I mean tiny reduction (15/16 = 6% difference). Ford can handle that easily with smaller overhangs front and back to start, and a tiny reduction of height. Track width would likely remain the same. In that same breath, low profile seat rails for that 3/8” of height chopped with the raise lever still in place. Add thinner A-Pillars made of HSS and an aluminum roof.

I strongly feel ford will not allocate the resources to engineering for the S650 with the current management. They’ll have an evolution design (modified S550 platform) instead of an all new 15/16 scale version that we love - but weighs too much.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red

Good god NO!!! Then you get to open that big door out into a lane where some texting fool will remove it for you. I can drive well enough to allow for the door swing when positioning for fuel. :facepalm:

OP
OP

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Camaro is not exactly smaller. They proportioned it differently. It’s hard to explain, it sits big people fine. It’s hard to see from is the issue.

The Camaro's wheelbase is almost 4” longer than the mustang. Not shrinking but lightening costs more than a small, and I mean tiny reduction (15/16 = 6% difference). Ford can handle that easily with smaller overhangs front and back to start, and a tiny reduction of height. Track width would likely remain the same. In that same breath, low profile seat rails for that 3/8” of height chopped with the raise lever still in place. Add thinner A-Pillars made of HSS and an aluminum roof.

I strongly feel ford will not allocate the resources to engineering for the S650 with the current management. They’ll have an evolution design (modified S550 platform) instead of an all new 15/16 scale version that we love - but weighs too much.

The 2015 has 11.3 cuft ft cargo space.

2019 has 9.1 cuft.

That quite a bit of space.

Head room and shoulder room slightly better on the 2019.

Biggest oversight by Chevy was you can’t put golf clubs in the back of the 2019. You can in the 2015. That was a MASSIVE oversight by Chevy.

They build the C8 around fitting golf clubs in the back as I heard one Chevy engineer say.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.