C8 just got crushed and humiliated by the GT500

69Boss9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Camaro SS
This is my first post, and I currently own a Camaro so I suppose I qualify as a troll even though my lifetime ponycar scorecard contains far more Mustangs than anything else.
Anyhow, what would be humiliating in my mind would be for the GT500 to not post appreciably lower 1/4 mile times than the C8 given its power advantage. You have to admit that a C8 with any of the current gm forced induction motors would destroy a GT500 if both were on street tires. In fact, based on my experience with a high horsepower front engine, rear drive car - my car makes around 750 rwhp and traps in the low 130's. I'd say that the 1/4 mile times posted by the current GT500 are about as good as it's going to get. You just can't hook any more power on street tires. Give Chevy some credit. The C8 is an impressive car in its first year. How hot was the hottest first year s550? When the ZR1 and Z06 debut, there is no way the GT500 will match either of them. It just ain't going to happen without tires and a prepped track. Even then it will likely be a drivers race. Regardless of which car proves to be quicker, suffice it to say that by that time there will be an entire bevy of electrics that will run and hide from either one.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
This is my first post, and I currently own a Camaro so I suppose I qualify as a troll even though my lifetime ponycar scorecard contains far more Mustangs than anything else.
Anyhow, what would be humiliating in my mind would be for the GT500 to not post appreciably lower 1/4 mile times than the C8 given its power advantage. You have to admit that a C8 with any of the current gm forced induction motors would destroy a GT500 if both were on street tires. In fact, based on my experience with a high horsepower front engine, rear drive car - my car makes around 750 rwhp and traps in the low 130's. I'd say that the 1/4 mile times posted by the current GT500 are about as good as it's going to get. You just can't hook any more power on street tires. Give Chevy some credit. The C8 is an impressive car in its first year. How hot was the hottest first year s550? When the ZR1 and Z06 debut, there is no way the GT500 will match either of them. It just ain't going to happen without tires and a prepped track. Even then it will likely be a drivers race. Regardless of which car proves to be quicker, suffice it to say that by that time there will be an entire bevy of electrics that will run and hide from either one.
I guess you completely discounted the fact that the Corvette is an all new mid engine platform that would also beat your 6th Gen ZL1, Z06, and likely ZR1 on any non prepped surface, or I guess you forgot to mention this right!

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I see a C8 every week. Tester's and engineers are all over my area. I have been able to ride behind them. Seen them in the wild from every angle. From someone who grew up and lived in chevy town usa and never owned anything but GM cars (until my mustang), I can tell you the C8 is an abomination. Doesn't matter what it's times are. It's weird looking (magazines pics look great though) and has no soul. To me they're like a Tesla. Sure they are fast but lack the raw animistic almost uncontrollable power of a true american beast. They remind of the electric race tract cars I played with as a kid. In the end still mostly old guys are going to be buying them to drive 20 mph around in. So like I said, it doesn't matter what the stats are.

69Boss9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Camaro SS
I guess you completely discounted the fact that the Corvette is an all new mid engine platform that would also beat your 6th Gen ZL1, Z06, and likely ZR1 on any non prepped surface, or I guess you forgot to mention this right!
Discounted the fact that the C8 is an all new, mid engine platform? Not at all, dude. The point I was trying to make is that a C8, with a bit more oomph would beat all the cars you reference BECAUSE it's a new, mid engine design.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This is my first post, and I currently own a Camaro so I suppose I qualify as a troll [...]
Yep.

Well, geez, that was easy - and now we've established that, I'm not sure where else there is to go? I guess enjoy hanging around a Mustang forum with your '16 Camaro ... :like:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Yep.

Well, geez, that was easy - and now we've established that, I'm not sure where else there is to go? I guess enjoy hanging around a Mustang forum with your '16 Camaro ... :like:
LOL yes looking forward to many more posts as to why Chevrolet is superior to Ford. And particularly the Mustang.

69Boss9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Camaro SS
Yep.

I sometimes browse other forums to learn about other cars. I have owned several Mustangs, and may well own one again someday. The point I was trying to make is that technology marches on and cars front engine/rear drive cars will not be "embarrassing and humiliating " anything for long. If it makes you feel better, I'll freely conceed that the GT500 has more motor than any current GM offering. You're comparing cars, not motors, otherwise why not compare the GT500 to a Camaro SS, it's got essentially the same motor as a C8.

69Boss9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Camaro SS
I guess a mature conversation isn't possible, which i should have known coming in. It's the same on the Camaro forums.
I'm not even saying that gm products are superior when comparing apples to apples, in fact I'd give the nod to the GT500 vs. ZL1/ZLE. I'm just saying that, given inherent advantages of a mid engine gine car, a 7xx whp C8 is going to destroy a GT500. Be that as it may, I still prefer the front engine rear drive configuration. It's what I'm used to, and I'm not out to be the fastest down the strip or around the track, although I do frequent both venues. There's always someone faster. If you're bound and determined to drive a ford, get a GT. I'm sure it will have electric motors on the front axles before long and will outperform the Corvette.
I think we should all try to get along and enjoy the golden age of V8 muscle cars. If someone would have told me 20 yrs ago that in 2020 i would have a totally streetable/civilized 750whp car i would never have believed it. If they also opined that by 2023 or so, there would be multiple, non-exotic cars for sale that would blow my doors off, it would be even more unbelievable.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I like eggs.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I guess a mature conversation isn't possible, which i should have known coming in. It's the same on the Camaro forums.
On both sides of the fence there are a few dumb cunts that scream "troll" the loudest when you write something they don't agree with. There is no reasoning with them.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
488 is twin turbo mid-engine. 458 is a high revving naturally aspirated V8. I'm taking that as a hint.
Yup definitely a hint. Rumors were an NA 600 hp v8, and it should be enough to make it faster than the force fed C7 ZO6. Has anyone seen the numbers for the C8 Z51 on prepped surfaces?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
On both sides of the fence there are a few dumb cunts that scream "troll" the loudest when you write something they don't agree with. There is no reasoning with them.
What the fuxk are you talking about? Nobody called him a troll. He announced it in the first sentence, of his first post. We’re just having fun with the way he came over and made a point of that. You fuxking halfwit. I guess we should take this thread serious and give it the respect it deserves!:crazy:This entire shitshow was created to troll the Chevy guys. When they had the C8 penciled in as a world beater. Before it even came out. And proudly came to this sight to proclaim that point. The C8 came out. And it was good? Hardly a world beater. And hardly handed the GT500 it’s ass. So now You hear wait for the z06 from the Chevy crowd. This is probably hard to imagine. But we understand the advantages of a mid engine design. Without some making their first post to explain it to us.

Last edited: