Sponsored

C8 just got crushed and humiliated by the GT500

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. The indecent testing will remain private. :angel:
Haha, gotta love auto-correct. I'm leaving that one.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The GT500 was anticipated to hurt some feelings. And boy, does it.

The C8 was so hyped that a deluge of trolls appeared on M6G and flooded the forum.

but the GT500 didnā€™t need defending. All that had to happen was for the lion to come out of its cage. I donā€™t know about demons, but venom definitely kills Redeyes and Curbstomps C8s. And lions apparently kill off trolls...

10.6! 133 mph!

one youtuber got 3.3 0-60 on a regular street with stock tires and no prepping the road, which looked like a service road near an off ramp. Thatā€™s astounding.

Bone stock? This thing is simply amazing.

canā€™t wait for official track times.
You crystal ball owning mother f#$ker. The standard GT500 faster than a z51 track tuned Corvette. Who would have guessed back in October when you started this thread.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
You crystal ball owning mother f#$ker. The standard GT500 faster than a z51 track tuned Corvette. Who would have guessed back in October when you started this thread.
As Iā€™ve said before, whether it is Z51 or not, the Stingray is not the track Corvette, so the GT500 should completely own it on the track. The Base GT500 is pretty much on par with the Z51 on the track and in the quarter mile. Slaughters it in the half mile, but the quarter mile theyā€™re about even in the low 11s for the magazine tests. I know weā€™ve seen 10s in private owners hands, so thereā€™s that. In the MT tests they actually had Stingray a bit ahead on the quarter.

The REAL track comparison comes when the Z06 is released. The Grand Sport or the Z06 should both be a solid match for the CFTP. For C7, Z06 was introduced first, then Grand Sport. GM is likely to follow that same release order for C8. The fact that Stingray hangs with the base GT500 on the track should actually be a pleasant surprise for Tadge and his crew. Or maybe not. Maybe itā€™s just me who didnā€™t think it would hang.

Left column is Stingray, middle is GT500, right is CFTP. Most of the numbers are not far off. So, basically, Stingray to GT500 is a pick ā€˜em, CFTP is better, especially on track and Z06 hasnā€™t gotten out of bed yet.

50C2F53B-296B-474B-A6AC-744053802040.jpeg

Last edited:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Autoblog? When did Autoblog become a reputable review? Go watch Matt Farah's drive review. There is something fishy going on with the reviews since first everyone Wows the C8 and then comes back and say ohh by the way it was not that good. Something is off there. By the way the C8 handles better than the C7. Stop comparing it to the C7. It already lapped faster in a comparison test same day same driver. So your C7 comparison doesn't make sense. Being an engineer do you really believe the 4200 lbs is going to defy physics? Ask yourself that question. The car is damn too heavy to be a road coarse warrior and needs lighter wheels and carbon fiber bits to reduce the weight as much as it can. If you think a 4200 lbs car can hang with a Porsche GT3 and Viper ACR around a race track you should probably re-evaluate career ( I hope you are not talking about that youtube video with the small track with 1/3 of the track being a very long stretch).
I'm sorry, I have to re-quote this. What was that again?

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
As Iā€™ve said before, whether it is Z51 or not, the Stingray is not the track Corvette, so the GT500 should completely own it on the track. The Base GT500 is pretty much on par with the Z51 on the track and in the quarter mile. Slaughters it in the half mile, but the quarter mile theyā€™re about even in the low 11s for the magazine tests. I know weā€™ve seen 10s in private owners hands, so thereā€™s that. In the MT tests they actually had Stingray a bit ahead on the quarter.

The REAL track comparison comes when the Z06 is released. The Grand Sport or the Z06 should both be a solid match for the CFTP. For C7, Z06 was introduced first, then Grand Sport. GM is likely to follow that same release order for C8. The fact that Stingray hangs with the base GT500 on the track should actually be a pleasant surprise for Tadge and his crew. Or maybe not. Maybe itā€™s just me who didnā€™t think it would hang.

Left column is Stingray, middle is GT500, right is CFTP. Most of the numbers are not far off. So, basically, Stingray to GT500 is a pick ā€˜em, CFTP is better, especially on track and Z06 hasnā€™t gotten out of bed yet.

I'm sorry martin, the Z51 is not close around the track. The 1.28 seconds is a lot of time.

I did say it before, the Corvette was going to own the street. But at an actual dragstrip, it doesn't stand a chance against the gt500...barring significant driver error.

As for the Z06, I think everyone fully expects it to beat the GT500 carbon pack. It should, especially considering they will likely make sure it does....similar to how Ford most certainly made sure the GT500 carbon pack would be quicker than the Z1E. I'm more curious what the MSRP will be.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So just to get this clear in my head. Is the C8 with Z51 and magneride added for about $80k plus a tire-destroying track alignment still a super car and really inexpensive?

Does this make the base GT500 a superer car?

yes I'm gloating

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry martin, the Z51 is not close around the track. The 1.28 seconds is a lot of time.

I did say it before, the Corvette was going to own the street. But at an actual dragstrip, it doesn't stand a chance against the gt500...barring significant driver error.

As for the Z06, I think everyone fully expects it to beat the GT500 carbon pack. It should, especially considering they will likely make sure it does....similar to how Ford most certainly made sure the GT500 carbon pack would be quicker than the Z1E. I'm more curious what the MSRP will be.
I agree that 1.28s is a lot. But when you're comparing a track car to a street car with a camber adjustment, it shoulda been more. Pobst even specifically called the Stingray a street car. On the other hand, it was the Stingray with Z51 handling package compared to the GT500 "drag car" with optional handling package, so it wasn't the full on track monster that the CFTP is. But then you have to compare the 0 - 60, quarter mile, and 0-100-0 times of the two cars. At that point, it's advantage Stingray again, at least in this test.

"So, to the numbers: Lap times for the C8 Z51 and the standard GT500 were quite comparable, though achieved in different ways. The Shelby evaporates the straights; the C8 carves the corners.

The Shelby carries the load of your family, so in spite of its fantastic, predictable balance, the Corvette can leave it in the twisties, driven precisely.

Once we tried the GT500 equipped with the Carbon Fiber Track package, however, it was all over for the street 'Vette."

At the end of the day, GT500 Base and C8 Stingray are a pick 'em. CFTP and ZLE or C8 Z06 on road course is still yet to be seen. I have a feeling that CFTP will fall in right between those two.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)

I fully expect a C8 zo6 to beat a Mustang. How could it not? Mid engine. Much lighter. Its irrelevant to me. I'm just marveling at how prophetic this thread was. It was origionally made to troll the trolls. The fact that it actually came to pass. Is just icing on the cake for me.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So just to get this clear in my head. Is the C8 with Z51 and magneride added for about $80k plus a tire-destroying track alignment still a super car and really inexpensive?

yes I'm gloating
Not sure about all the qualifiers. The car they tested was the same 3LT Z51 plus options they used for the MT COTY testing, so it included a lot of content that makes the car heavier and doesn't make it go any faster. The same test could have been run with a 1LT Z51 with a $67k Monroney. So I think the answer to your question is an unequivocal maybe(?) yes I'm hedging :wink:

Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst

yes I'm gloating
Who called the c8 a super car? LOL
GT500 has super car straight line performance, but the super car metrics are always moving higher and higher. Right now the definitive super cars are cars like the 488 pista, 720s, GT2RS.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I fully expect a C8 zo6 to beat a Mustang. How could it not? Mid engine. Much lighter. Its irrelevant to me. I'm just marveling at how prophetic this thread was. It was origionally made to troll the trolls. The fact that it actually came to pass. Is just icing on the cake for me.
I see "edged out by 1.28s on track while winning in 0 - 60, 0-100-0, and quarter mile." I don't see "crushed and humiliated". That's sorta my point. And let's face it.... a GT500 is not "just a Mustang". It's a Shelby. Shelby's were brought into this world to battle Corvette's before the first Camaro ever spun a tire.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I agree that 1.28s is a lot. But when you're comparing a track car to a street car with a camber adjustment, it shoulda been more.
Think about what your saying. They took the C8 and converted the suspension geometry to it's track configuration. They ran the base GT500 as-is. Both have the same tires. Which one has more of a track setup and why are you calling the base GT500 a track car when there is an actual track version?

Pobst even specifically called the Stingray a street car.
And yet, the GT500 was in more of a street car configuration and was the more "street car" of the two.

On the other hand, it was the Stingray with Z51 handling package compared to the GT500 "drag car" with optional handling package, so it wasn't the full on track monster that the CFTP is. But then you have to compare the 0 - 60, quarter mile, and 0-100-0 times of the two cars. At that point, it's advantage Stingray again, at least in this test.
Absolutely, on the street...the corvette has a massive advantage.

What I find funny is that we have no problem testing track times at the track, but for some reason testing 1/4 mile times is done on the street. I'm not saying it's invalid, but advantage will always go to mid engine and AWD configurations. Anyone who wants to race these legally is going to lean far more on actual drag-strip times and ET mph.

"So, to the numbers: Lap times for the C8 Z51 and the standard GT500 were quite comparable, though achieved in different ways. The Shelby evaporates the straights; the C8 carves the corners.
The Shelby carries the load of your family, so in spite of its fantastic, predictable balance, the Corvette can leave it in the twisties, driven precisely.

Once we tried the GT500 equipped with the Carbon Fiber Track package, however, it was all over for the street 'Vette."

At the end of the day, GT500 Base and C8 Stingray are a pick 'em. CFTP and ZLE or C8 Z06 on road course is still yet to be seen. I have a feeling that CFTP will fall in right between those two.
Again, pick-em depends. At actual real, legal racing facilities...the base GT500 is faster in all regards. Not a pick em unless you want to do 0-60 or 1/4 mile runs on the street.

With that said, I wouldn't fault anyone choosing a C8 over the base GT500. Totally different driving experiences.

And agreed on the pecking order.

On a side note, anyone else notice the high praise the GT500 gets for it's transmission and tuning vs the "meh" comments on the C8? Sounds like Ford definitely one-upped GM on it's trans tuning.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Think about what your saying. They took the C8 and converted the suspension geometry to it's track configuration. They ran the base GT500 as-is. Both have the same tires. Which one has more of a track setup and why are you calling the base GT500 a track car when there is an actual track version?

And yet, the GT500 was in more of a street car configuration and was the more "street car" of the two.

Absolutely, on the street...the corvette has a massive advantage.

What I find funny is that we have no problem testing track times at the track, but for some reason testing 1/4 mile times is done on the street. I'm not saying it's invalid, but advantage will always go to mid engine and AWD configurations. Anyone who wants to race these legally is going to lean far more on actual drag-strip times and ET mph.

Again, pick-em depends. At actual real, legal racing facilities...the base GT500 is faster in all regards. Not a pick em unless you want to do 0-60 or 1/4 mile runs on the street.

With that said, I wouldn't fault anyone choosing a C8 over the base GT500. Totally different driving experiences.

And agreed on the pecking order.

On a side note, anyone else notice the high praise the GT500 gets for it's transmission and tuning vs the "meh" comments on the C8? Sounds like Ford definitely one-upped GM on it's trans tuning.
I did notice that. I also know from talking to some folks that the car MT had was a late pre-production unit and that they are not 100% done with trans cals yet.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I see "edged out by 1.28s on track while winning in 0 - 60, 0-100-0, and quarter mile." I don't see "crushed and humiliated". That's sorta my point. And let's face it.... a GT500 is not "just a Mustang". It's a Shelby. Shelby's were brought into this world to battle Corvette's before the first Camaro ever spun a tire.
I See edged out by 5 or 6 seconds. Talkin CFTP of course. That's a different zip code worth of distance. I don't think anyone gave the Mustang a chance when the C8 dropped. Suprise.
Sponsored