Sponsored

C8 just got crushed and humiliated by the GT500

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
In reality we do know the target buyer for the C8 will be the 55+ crowd always has been for the Corvette, similar to the Cadillac. The younger age group will be shopping the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger.
I'm not reading through all the rest of the thread but I'd say between the C7 and C8, the younger age group is definitely getting more interested in the Corvette...except for being able to afford it. If it weren't for my school loans, I'd definitely be looking at picking one up in the next year or so over any of the Mustangs, Camaros, or Challengers.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
We are only talking about current gen cars. At least thats what i thought, but man thats a beauty.
We are talking current cars. Sometimes can't resist the opportunity to have a little fun with people that I know can take it in the spirit it's meant. :wink:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm saying that the C8 will be a hit in the parking lot at the local YMCA for pool aerobics day.

In reality we do know the target buyer for the C8 will be the 55+ crowd always has been for the Corvette, similar to the Cadillac. The younger age group will be shopping the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger.
I'm not reading through all the rest of the thread but I'd say between the C7 and C8, the younger age group is definitely getting more interested in the Corvette...except for being able to afford it. If it weren't for my school loans, I'd definitely be looking at picking one up in the next year or so over any of the Mustangs, Camaros, or Challengers.
C'mon man, get with the program. We all know that Corvettes are for retirees with white belts and shoes, Camaros are only for guys wearing wife-beaters and mullets (you should see mine) and Mustangs are for secretaries and people who genetically forget how to drive when leaving Cars & Coffee. Some things simply cannot be expected to ever change. :wink:

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
I'm saying that the C8 will be a hit in the parking lot at the local YMCA for pool aerobics day.

That is because people buy what they can afford. Most young people cannot afford a car that starts off at 60 thousand dollars. How many young people do you think are buying the GT500 and GT350? If you did a poll I think the age would be in the same ballpark as Corvette buyers.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is because people buy what they can afford. Most young people cannot afford a car that starts off at 60 thousand dollars. How many young people do you think are buying the GT500 and GT350? If you did a poll I think the age would be in the same ballpark as Corvette buyers.
Interesting thought. I think I have access to enough data to analyze this by displacement, age, and average transaction price. I'll take a swing at it come back.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
If they weren't affordable then not many people could afford them. If you want an expensive one then you have that option.
Well good. Then you agree they are cheap built cars as compared to the C8 which is a minimum of $60k. Why are you even arguing? It is obvious.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Around here, Vette owners tend to be ... older. Not like 40s/50s (hey, I resemble that remark), but __older-er__. Clearly, you're correct about the cost factor - I think I'd add to that, it's a two seater so it's the kind of car you get when your kids are gone, and one of those, I'm really comfortable with buying something that seems a bit excessive, because at 65, retired, I earned it.

There is also - even if people don't want to talk about - a certain perception of that vehicle. I spent a decent amount of time in the Mountain View area, 95% of the people who could easily afford one, wouldn't even think about buying it.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Around here, Vette owners tend to be ... older. Not like 40s/50s (hey, I resemble that remark), but __older-er__. Clearly, you're correct about the cost factor - I think I'd add to that, it's a two seater so it's the kind of car you get when your kids are gone, and one of those, I'm really comfortable with buying something that seems a bit excessive, because at 65, retired, I earned it.

There is also - even if people don't want to talk about - a certain perception of that vehicle. I spent a decent amount of time in the Mountain View area, 95% of the people who could easily afford one, wouldn't even think about buying it.
That's because they're too busy smelling their own farts in the Smug Cloud their Prius is putting out

giphy (3).gif

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
That's because they're too busy smelling their own farts in the Smug Cloud their Prius is putting out
giphy (3).gif
Hahaha, one of my favorite episodes :D

My sort of immediate acquaintances had M3/4/5s, P-cars, one had a nasty tuned S4. Many were sort of "gear heads", but not into owning a Corvette (one of the M3 and P-car guys were avid track event participants).

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting thought. I think I have access to enough data to analyze this by displacement, age, and average transaction price. I'll take a swing at it come back.
Well, I'm back. Here's what the data says....Corvette owners are older. But Z06 / ZR1 owners are a bit younger than Stingray drivers. I'm going to very subjectively state that Grand Sport drivers probably belong more in the Z06/ZR1 column, but since I split all of the data by engine, I can't split Grand Sport out from Stingray. Meaning that the Stingray age is likely even older than my chart shows. :shock:

RED = most represented age range.
GREEN = 2nd most represented age band. Helps to show where the "leaning" really is.
GOLD = % of registrations by owners under 55.

My biggest surprise? Charger. A lot of this is because all of the vehicles have "Age Unknown" at rates of 18 - 24% of total registrations. I eliminated those for the analysis. Charger, because of their high rental and government fleet sales, was over 70% age not known. That may have skewed the data a bit, taking out 70% of their registrations.

Performance Car Registrations.JPG

OK....have at it :punch:

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Fun! Data! Charts! WOoooOOoo!

OK, so Under 55 % is correct, but the discrete breakdown of that for Dodges is not really known (projected based on other data).

I bet there's also a notable location impact to those numbers too.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fun! Data! Charts! WOoooOOoo!

OK, so Under 55 % is correct, but the discrete breakdown of that for Dodges is not really known (projected based on other data).

I bet there's also a notable location impact to those numbers too.
Believe it or not, during training for how to use the data, I was able to find the transaction for when I bought my car. By isolating month of purchase, dealership, type, color and configuration of vehicle (convertible) and ethnicity and residential zip code of buyer I nailed it down in a matter of minutes.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you forgot the V6/EB breakdowns where applicable.

We need a bubble chart. But now we're going to have to pay him by the post.
Yeah, I intentionally only focused on V8 apps since that's where the cross shopping that might involve a Corvette would happen. And you are $o right about the bubble chart$
Sponsored