Sponsored

C8 CORVETTE Z06 VS SHELBY GT500 TRACK PACK | TRACK BATTLE!

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Considering GM gave the Corvette team a blank check, and a clean piece of paper, and that a Mustang is being compared to the Vette Ford did good. Big time. The new vette is a grear car, I just don’t like the look of it at all. I know I’m probably in the minority there. The ZO6 does have subtleties that do really help in that regard though.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
The C8 is finally the American car that can truly challenge the elite of Euro sportcars. But at the same time, I no longer consider the C8 an American Muscle Car. To me, that will forever be cars that are front-engine and rear-wheel drive. And yes, the Mustang performed admirably.

Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
I'm not sure how hard he was pushing his friend's car or what condition the tires were in. Maybe Goose can chime in on the video.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
He said he tried to drive them both the same at 8/10th. So not balls to the wall, but pushing the cars some. Interesting he noted the tire difference as well. The ending comments were a good run down of the day for both cars.

I'm not sure how hard he was pushing his friend's car or what condition the tires were in. Maybe Goose can chime in on the video.

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
As many of you are as well I'm a track junkie - living in the mid-west I still get in 15+ track days a year. So here's my not so "expert" opinion.

Z06 and GT500 CFTP are pinnacles from each manufacturer. They are also a great deal apart in price ($100k v. $150k). I'd expect the Z06 to be faster at the track than the GT500. Think though that the current GT500 is 3+ years old from a development standpoint (probably a bit more) and is almost at the end of it's lifecycle. The Z06 is just starting it's lifecycle. There will always be something faster and newer.

Having new Cup2R's versus even moderately worn Cup2's is a world of difference for sure. Tons of grip difference. All that aside the midengine of the Z06 would most certainly provide a better rotation on cornering that you'll just never get out of a 4,000+lb GT500.

I love my GT500 and it gets attention EVERYWHERE and is more than capable on the track. If I could get me a Z06 for sticker I'd buy one for sure but that doesn't mean the GT500 would go anywhere. I checked the constitution of the United States and it makes no mention of how many race cars you are allowed to have.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As many of you are as well I'm a track junkie - living in the mid-west I still get in 15+ track days a year. So here's my not so "expert" opinion.

Z06 and GT500 CFTP are pinnacles from each manufacturer. They are also a great deal apart in price ($100k v. $150k). I'd expect the Z06 to be faster at the track than the GT500. Think though that the current GT500 is 3+ years old from a development standpoint (probably a bit more) and is almost at the end of it's lifecycle. The Z06 is just starting it's lifecycle. There will always be something faster and newer.

Having new Cup2R's versus even moderately worn Cup2's is a world of difference for sure. Tons of grip difference. All that aside the midengine of the Z06 would most certainly provide a better rotation on cornering that you'll just never get out of a 4,000+lb GT500.

I love my GT500 and it gets attention EVERYWHERE and is more than capable on the track. If I could get me a Z06 for sticker I'd buy one for sure but that doesn't mean the GT500 would go anywhere. I checked the constitution of the United States and it makes no mention of how many race cars you are allowed to have.
15+ track days. You are my hero and have more spare cash than I.
Lol

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Not really a surprise I guess. Latest tech this side of EV versus dated tech. Still very respectable showing. Would $50k worth of tweaks and upgrades (if any exist) to the Mustang have tipped the scales in its favor?

Sponsored

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
Have had similar discussions with other track guys. There comes a point of diminishing returns. Bigger turbos, tighter suspension, less weight, the list goes on.

Laugh if you will but my Boss 302 gets 4x the track time to my GT500. Why? That GT500 will eat the Boss alive (and most anything else) on the track. But the Boss is so much less expensive to drive and not to open a can of worms but it's more fun most of the time. No not nearly as fast but I'm rowing gears, no nannies, so much less fuel and, God forbid, if I wreck it I'm out $45k not $100k+

All that being said I have thought about adding a little boost to the Boss because I'm tired of these new cars passing me on the straights. Also thought about getting a dedicated track car or building one.

Yup, I went off the rails. Sorry.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Have had similar discussions with other track guys. There comes a point of diminishing returns. Bigger turbos, tighter suspension, less weight, the list goes on.

Laugh if you will but my Boss 302 gets 4x the track time to my GT500. Why? That GT500 will eat the Boss alive (and most anything else) on the track. But the Boss is so much less expensive to drive and not to open a can of worms but it's more fun most of the time. No not nearly as fast but I'm rowing gears, no nannies, so much less fuel and, God forbid, if I wreck it I'm out $45k not $100k+

All that being said I have thought about adding a little boost to the Boss because I'm tired of these new cars passing me on the straights. Also thought about getting a dedicated track car or building one.

Yup, I went off the rails. Sorry.
Just swap in an aluminator xs 5.2 and set it up to utilize slicks.

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
Yup. I normally use Pirelli DH slicks - 305's all the way around. Yes I can modify or change the engine. Easiest and least expensive thing to do is add a turbo kit.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not really a surprise I guess. Latest tech this side of EV versus dated tech. Still very respectable showing. Would $50k worth of tweaks and upgrades (if any exist) to the Mustang have tipped the scales in its favor?
The GT500 needs to go on a diet. She is a heavy girl that can move though.

Weighing 400+ pounds ish more is a pretty big number to overcome.
Sponsored

Last edited: