Sponsored

Buying a used car in NJ, titling & registering in VA - any experience on either end

PHX ATC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Toby
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT & 2020 Explorer ST & 2022 Porsche 911
Has anyone purchased a used car from a private party in NJ? No lien currently on the car.

And, then, titled and registered in VA? No lien will be on the car.

They don't have to be a matched pair, just looking for recent experience.

Any quirks or hacks that would help me? COVID obviously has crushed the normalcy of the old school system, which would mean walking into to a DMV/MVD office and handling it all.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
Sponsored

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
I know va dmv is appointment only, so make sure you make an appointment ahead of the purchase so you can get it retitled in your name. You should not need more than a endorsed title to allow you transfer ownership. Dmv also offers a temp registration to allow you get it home

OP
OP

PHX ATC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Toby
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, David, I appreciate it.

Yah, I looked online and there's a 3 day temp reg for me to get it back to VA, then after that I figured I would have to make an appointment (of course their system showed no appointments until March 2021, which I think is BS, but will check again).

Guess we will just drive it with some paperwork proof that we own it, have an appt in the future, and have done our due diligence as best we can. (insert eye roll here)

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Thanks, David, I appreciate it.

Yah, I looked online and there's a 3 day temp reg for me to get it back to VA, then after that I figured I would have to make an appointment (of course their system showed no appointments until March 2021, which I think is BS, but will check again).

Guess we will just drive it with some paperwork proof that we own it, have an appt in the future, and have done our due diligence as best we can. (insert eye roll here)
You may be able to use a dmv express location to do the registration and titling

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
talk to a local dealer and see if they'll use their electronic system to do it for you.
URL to your car?

OP
OP

PHX ATC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Toby
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. There is no link or website to the car I am buying as it is a private sale with no advertising from an individual.
Sponsored