Buying a Mustang that was built for Canada in the US

scregan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2023 Atlas Blue convertible
Has anyone bought a Mustang that was originally sold in Canada and then imported to the US?
Any problems associated with doing this?
Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Possiblyā€¦double check the underhood emissions tag.

I bought a 2015 focus ST from Canadia, and it had no California emissionsā€¦but didnā€™t notice it until I got to the California DMV šŸ˜‚

1633817003445.jpeg

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Possiblyā€¦double check the underhood emissions tag.

I bought a 2015 focus ST from Canadia, and it had no California emissionsā€¦but didnā€™t notice it until I got to the California DMV šŸ˜‚

1633817003445.jpeg
How did that turn out? Did you have to sell it or upgrade the emmisions?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My 2018 was originally sold in Canada. If you are the person bringing it into the US, there is some paperwork and fees that needs to be taken care of. But, the dealer or party you purchase the car from in Canada should be able to help with that. If the car is already in the US, don't worry about it, unless you live in California.

Gramkeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang
My understanding but I could be wrong is there maybe issues to get a recall item done

Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
How did that turn out? Did you have to sell it or upgrade the emmisions?
it was no issue for me, but only because I have out-of-state options šŸ˜‰

then sold the car to a non-emissions buyer late last year.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
My 19 is Canadian. There were no issues buying and registering for me in IL. In fact, the dealer I bought it from didnā€™t know it was Canadian (full disclosure, I work for this dealer, and they bought it from another dealer in our dealer group).

Only things I noticed are the headlights are always on due to Canadian law, and it has the wrong instrument cluster (has the 15-17 cluster, not the 18+).

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My understanding but I could be wrong is there maybe issues to get a recall item done
On a related note, most product warrantees are only valid in the market the product was sold in. Estimated average warranty costs are built into the price and paid for out of that and the pools are typically per market. One market doesn't like to pay for repairs of products they didn't get a cut of the warranty pool for. Would be pleasantly surprised if autos were the exception.

PJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Mustang
On a related note, most product warrantees are only valid in the market the product was sold in. Estimated average warranty costs are built into the price and paid for out of that and the pools are typically per market. One market doesn't like to pay for repairs of products they didn't get a cut of the warranty pool for. Would be pleasantly surprised if autos were the exception.
I bought a C7 that was originally sold in Canada from a dealer here in the US. My servicing dealer converted the current mileage from Kilometers to Miles in Chevy's system at my first covered oil change. The remainder of the factory warranty was in effect, just as if the car had originally been sold in the US.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I bought a C7 that was originally sold in Canada from a dealer here in the US. My servicing dealer converted the current mileage from Kilometers to Miles in Chevy's system at my first covered oil change. The remainder of the factory warranty was in effect, just as if the car had originally been sold in the US.
When I bought my Canadian mustang, I had my sales person call the ford dealer down the street and get the build sheet and warranty status, thatā€™s where I learned it was Canadian. And the warranty was still in effect. It seems to transfer between US and Canada (and Puerto Rico)
Sponsored