Sponsored

Buying a hood, will the factory painted hood match mine?

TrainedS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
Hey guys, my oxford white 2015 gt has corrosion and bubbling around the edges of the hood. I have someone 3 hours away with a 2016 oxford white gt hood for a good price. Will the paint match up 100% with them both being factory jobs? Also, how much has it cost you guys in the past to have the bubbling and corrosion repaired on your cars? And is the paint matching reliable? I also have an AC fiberglass ram air nearby but I'm worried about price to paint and if it will even match.
Sponsored

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Hey guys, my oxford white 2015 gt has corrosion and bubbling around the edges of the hood. I have someone 3 hours away with a 2016 oxford white gt hood for a good price. Will the paint match up 100% with them both being factory jobs? Also, how much has it cost you guys in the past to have the bubbling and corrosion repaired on your cars? And is the paint matching reliable? I also have an AC fiberglass ram air nearby but I'm worried about price to paint and if it will even match.
So both years did offer Oxford White so I don't see why they wouldn't match up. The bubbling and the corrosion could vary per shop that you visit.

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
There is a TSB for it. I got the hood on my 2016 Explorer replaced for free. I think it was TSB 19-0062 but I think it was updated to TSB 19-2026. I’m not sure on the years it covers though. There’s a chance it doesn’t cover 2015. If I were you I would look into it.

Mghoward74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
S550
Not all “Oxford white” factory paint are the same. There’s various tints in them. Oxford white has about 4 or 5 different tints. Even if the the car happens to be the the same year.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Ask for the paint code and compare it to your code. If they're the same then it should match. If it's not exactly the same you might want to pass.

OP
OP
TrainedS550

TrainedS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
Posting a picture of my car and a picture of the hood I'm interested in buying. Yall tell me if they match.
20201125_071149.jpg
received_267514381465394.jpeg

OP
OP
TrainedS550

TrainedS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
Ask for the paint code and compare it to your code. If they're the same then it should match. If it's not exactly the same you might want to pass.
Are there different paint codes for each? And where to find?

OP
OP
TrainedS550

TrainedS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
Not all “Oxford white” factory paint are the same. There’s various tints in them. Oxford white has about 4 or 5 different tints. Even if the the car happens to be the the same year.
Are they all noticeably different against each other? Also I posted pics

Fordohio

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WIlliam
Vehicle(s)
73 F100 20 Mustang GT
I do auto body for a living. It will be close. Solid whites dont usually have much variance. But it will also depend on how much sun each has seen.

The other thing is where the hood and fender meet. They are different angles. Sometimes that helps if the color is slightly off also.

Sponsored

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
Paint code is on the door panel spec sticker. Mine attached - see bottom left "EXT PNT" N4 is the code for Wimbledon White.

IMG_0893.JPG

Hye Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang, 1985 mustang
What he said, my car is shadow black and when ive had pieces painted the painter always want to see which shadow black it as there are different tints. I didnt believe him until he came out with samples that all are the same paint code but when he used a certain light you could see a huge difference in the 4 tints. So guess just comes down if you want it to match perfectly.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It’s very hard to tell from online pictures if the hood will match 100%.

Are both cars white and the same paint color of Oxford White - yes appears so. The only absolute way to tell is if you can drive to the seller’s house and have him place the hood near your front clip to see if it’s a true match in person, in good daylight.

Just because Ford painted 2 cars Oxford White does not mean that the color is “exact”, especially talking 2 model years apart and factoring in exterior sun fading.

Are they close? Looks like it from the images.

Put it this way, if you swapped hoods and did not tell anyone, only you would know...

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
This thread falls in the "AYFKM?" category. Ford has been fighting problems with Oxford white as far back as the late 70s. Some things just don't ever get fixed. :curse:

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Yes they will match if it is in fact oem ford paint.
Sponsored