Burning rubber smell in snow

500hz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey guys, just wondering if there’s anybody else driving their s550 all year around. I have a problem on my 2017 GT of burning rubber smell coming out of the vents ONLY when there’s snow on the ground. Any other time it’s completely fine no smell whatsoever. It doesn’t matter how hard you push it it will always smell if I drive on snow and come to a complete stop. I’m not sure how serious that is because it seems a little odd and I think it’s just snow getting thrown on the cooler or something. But if anyone experienced the same things please let me know. Much appreciated. Oh and also there’s no oil anywhere to be found, so it can’t be valve cover leak
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Are you spinning the tires?

Deleted member 35644

Sounds like brakes. Traction control (and maybe stability control, depending on how you're driving) are working overtime keeping traction. The is heating up your brakes, and that smell is making its way to the cowl.

OP
OP

500hz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sounds like brakes. Traction control (and maybe stability control, depending on how you're driving) are working overtime keeping traction. The is heating up your brakes, and that smell is making its way to the cowl.
Is that something bad tho? Should I get that fixed?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Is that something bad tho? Should I get that fixed?
Well, it's not "unexpected" and isn't something to be fixed. You'll see it any time you have a lot of slipping going on. It's not doing your brake life any good, though.

What do you have on it for tires at the moment?

Sponsored

OP
OP

500hz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Well, it's not "unexpected" and isn't something to be fixed. You'll see it any time you have a lot of slipping going on. It's not doing your brake life any good, though.

What do you have on it for tires at the moment?
I just bought a brand new winter tires last winter

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I just bought a brand new winter tires last winter
What did you get? I'm on performance winters (I have a truck for really bad days), but if it was my DD in Edmonton, I'd be running something like a Blizzak WS or a Michelin XIce.

Also, do you have the mode selections on yours? The less sensitive throttle response in snow mode may help with the issue.

OP
OP

500hz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
What did you get? I'm on performance winters (I have a truck for really bad days), but if it was my DD in Edmonton, I'd be running something like a Blizzak WS or a Michelin XIce.

Also, do you have the mode selections on yours? The less sensitive throttle response in snow mode may help with the issue.
I have the nokian r3 or something, they are super good but sometimes when there’s snow on the ground I do try to loose traction on purpose so maybe that’s exactly why. And no I don’t have mode selection

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i drive year round in reno in light snow and i have noticed this as well when i pull into the garage. i do all the work on my own car and ive never seen anything look suspicious. doesnt seem to bother anything so i just figured its normal.

OP
OP

500hz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
i drive year round in reno in light snow and i have noticed this as well when i pull into the garage. i do all the work on my own car and ive never seen anything look suspicious. doesnt seem to bother anything so i just figured its normal.
Yeah that’s what I’m leaning to as well but just wanted see if I’m the only one with that problem

Sponsored

bknight21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brayden
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT Premium a10
Vehicle Showcase
Just noticed this with mine this week. We have been getting some snow pretty much every night/day this week and I have had to drive for work. Everytime I get to my destination there is a strong burning smell that I can’t quite pinpoint. Did you ever find out what it is?

bknight21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brayden
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT Premium a10
Vehicle Showcase
I did have it rust protected with Krown a few months ago and I know that the installer sprayed the underside of my front hood. I’m wondering if that could be the smell but it seems odd I would be smelling it 2 months later

OP
OP

500hz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I did have it rust protected with Krown a few months ago and I know that the installer sprayed the underside of my front hood. I’m wondering if that could be the smell but it seems odd I would be smelling it 2 months later
No I actually never ended up finding anything and I definitely don’t want to take it to the Ford dealership because I know they will break it even more or something else will go wrong. I find it to be odd that it only comes during the winter when it snows or slush and then perfectly fine in summer when I really do get on it hard. So I’m just gonna leave it as is right now because I really only have to things that could possibly be happening to it, either the undercoat that they apply in some places and when water gets on it it evaporates with burning smell from undercoat or the stuff that city puts on the roads during winter like salt or something and that’s thing evaporates when gets on hot surface underneath the car since engine and everything is pretty much exposed and doesn’t have much protection from the bottom. So idk up to you if you wanna take it to mechanic or something and try to find for sure answer on why this is happening. I have my car on extended warranty until 2023 or 100k so if something do happens I’m not too worried but I doubt anything will happen because the problem only consistent in only certain situation
Sponsored