Burning rubber smell in cabin

Hydra5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
For a few months now my 2019 mustang GT 30k miles I have been smelling a burning rubber smell in the cabin coming through the vents. After I drove a few miles I smell it only when I am stopped at a light or in park. I’ve looked under the hood no fluids leaking no belts rubbing the belts look to be in good condition as well. I can kinda smell it outside of the car by the front driver side tire and under the hood in the back driver corner. It goes away once I start driving again. I have winter tires on not sure if that makes a difference the tires aren’t rubber either. I changed out the cabin air filter didn’t change anything. Nothing stuck on the bottom of the car. Smell doesn’t appear when I press the recirculate button as well. Pretty annoying. Anyone else have this issue or have a solution?
Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
It’s an auto😭😂
no problem, I revise my previous statement to read…

”stop power braking at the previous light” 😂

…seriously though, put the summer tires on and report back, it’s almost time for sunscreen and banana hammocks in Chi-raq 😉

OP
OP
Hydra5.0

Hydra5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
no problem, I revise my previous statement to read…

”stop power braking at the previous light” 😂

…seriously though, put the summer tires on and report back, it’s almost time for sunscreen and banana hammocks in Chi-raq 😉
They’re on the way😏 week or 2 they’re going on

Sponsored

OLD8BA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DAVE
Vehicle(s)
SHADOW BLACK GT
from what you say it sounds like its up front
if its only when driving it sounsds like its blowing back towards you from in front of firewall ???
just an old farts 2c

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I thought the mustang was always supposed to smell like burnt rubber? I know mine does....

OP
OP
Hydra5.0

Hydra5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
from what you say it sounds like its up front
if its only when driving it sounsds like its blowing back towards you from in front of firewall ???
just an old farts 2c
It’s only when I’m parked or at a stoplight

OLD8BA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DAVE
Vehicle(s)
SHADOW BLACK GT
sorry mate my mistake old farts disease again hope you find it
cheers Dave

noGreta!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus IS350 F Sport
There is a bad condom joke to be made here but I won't make it...:lipssealed:

I had that issue once and it was plastic freeway debris stuck on the headers that smelled every time they heated up.

Edit* If it goes away when you recirculate the vents perhaps it is something on top of the engine bay causing the odor to be absorbed from the AC vents at the bottom of your windshield.

Good luck.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I would suspect it could be a serpentine belt issue. Even though a belt looks good doesn't always mean it's running or wearing on the FEAD properly.

There's been a few threads on this site over the years with the A/C compressor clutch or field coil assembly coming apart. Before that drastic failure happens the A/C clutch assembly won't be rotating evenly. Since it's not rotating evenly, the A/C belt would be wearing prematurely (burnt rubber smell). If that belt is wobbling, it could make contact with the other main serpentine belt sporadically, again causing a burning rubber smell.

Here's some A/C field coil/compressor clutch tech posts to review just so you can get a light down there and really check it out

This thread was from another M6G Member where the failure turned out to be the A/C field coil/clutch head:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/what-is-this-passenger-side-lower-main-pulley-ac.121072/

This thread has the info from the Ford shop manual for how to remove the clutch assembly/field coil:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tentially-a-c-compressor.129712/#post-2686995

There is also this thread which discusses how to remove the A/C stretch belt (and an available Lisle tool to do it too):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ac-stretch-belt-help-please.175709/#post-3554880

---

Not to alarm you, but usually the harmonic balancer has a rubber elastomeric center which binds the (2) parts of the harmonic balancer together (inner and outer) and is used to reduce NVH. If the rubber elastomeric center is failing, it would be slipping which can cause a burnt rubber smell. However IF this were an issue, you may experience other drivability issues along with intermittent squealing, and eventually worse case being the front of the crank snaps off. I don't think this is your issue at all, just putting it out there for another area to inspect. To check, use a good light and shine down at the crank pulley (harmonic balancer) while engine is at idle and there should NOT be any wobble at all - none. If there is a slight wobble OR upon close inspection of the front or back of the harmonic balancer you see any rubber protruding, the balancer should be replaced.

The only other thing I can recommend to check would be the back sides of the front wheels to make sure that the back side of each tire is not coming into any contact with the suspension (mainly strut casing). Look for rub/witness marks not only on the tire but anywhere on the associated suspension components to that wheel area. Also make sure the black plastic inner fender liners aren't loose and coming in contact with the tires.

Last edited:

noGreta!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus IS350 F Sport
Excellent insight from Cobra Jet; I am noting this for future reference.

JCF204

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 F-350
Also, I had similar issues when I first changed my tires, I had 2 different ford dealers align it and still the front tires cupped and smelled. Now that I have put a few thousand on it, that smell is gone and the tire wear seems fine to me

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Am I the only one who read this? Or am I out of the loop because we don’t have winter in FL? What kind of tires aren’t rubber? 🤷‍♂️
Yeah lol I was wondering the same thing.
Sponsored