Hydra5.0

Hydra5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I would suspect it could be a serpentine belt issue. Even though a belt looks good doesn't always mean it's running or wearing on the FEAD properly.

There's been a few threads on this site over the years with the A/C compressor clutch or field coil assembly coming apart. Before that drastic failure happens the A/C clutch assembly won't be rotating evenly. Since it's not rotating evenly, the A/C belt would be wearing prematurely (burnt rubber smell). If that belt is wobbling, it could make contact with the other main serpentine belt sporadically, again causing a burning rubber smell.

Here's some A/C field coil/compressor clutch tech posts to review just so you can get slight down there and really check it out

This thread was from another M6G Member where the failure turned out to be the A/C field coil/clutch head:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/what-is-this-passenger-side-lower-main-pulley-ac.121072/

This thread has the info from the Ford shop manual for how to remove the clutch assembly/field coil:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tentially-a-c-compressor.129712/#post-2686995

There is also this thread which discusses how to remove the A/C stretch belt (and an available Lisle tool to do it too):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ac-stretch-belt-help-please.175709/#post-3554880

---

Not to alarm you, but usually the harmonic balancer has a rubber elastomeric center which binds the (2) parts of the harmonic balancer together (inner and outer) and is used to reduce NVH. If the rubber elastomeric center is failing, it would be slipping which can cause a burnt rubber smell. However IF this were an issue, you may experience other drivability issues along with intermittent squealing, and eventually worse case being the front of the crank snaps off. I don't think this is your issue at all, just putting it out there for another area to inspect. To check, use a good light and shine down at the crank pulley (harmonic balancer) while engine is at idle and there should NOT be any wobble at all - none. If there is a slight wobble OR upon close inspection of the front or back of the harmonic balancer you see any rubber protruding, the balancer should be replaced.

The only other thing I can recommend to check would be the back sides of the front wheels to make sure that the back side of each tire is not coming into any contact with the suspension (mainly strut casing). Look for rub/witness marks not only on the tire but anywhere on the associated suspension components to that wheel area. Also make sure the black plastic inner fender liners aren't loose and coming in contact with the tires.
This is excellent. Ill be checking all of those things!

awhitegt86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
I first experienced this when on my evening commute I would exit the interstate on to a divided highway with a traffic light about a mile or so away. I would pour the coals to it if the highway was relatively clear of traffic, then slow down for the traffic light.
Turns out it was the traction control engaging when I was accelerating causing the rubber smell. It is more pronounced with winter tires, (they're so soft and squishy!) Anyway, if I don't floorboard the car coming off the interstate the smell doesn't present itself.

OP
OP
Hydra5.0

Hydra5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I would suspect it could be a serpentine belt issue. Even though a belt looks good doesn't always mean it's running or wearing on the FEAD properly.

There's been a few threads on this site over the years with the A/C compressor clutch or field coil assembly coming apart. Before that drastic failure happens the A/C clutch assembly won't be rotating evenly. Since it's not rotating evenly, the A/C belt would be wearing prematurely (burnt rubber smell). If that belt is wobbling, it could make contact with the other main serpentine belt sporadically, again causing a burning rubber smell.

Here's some A/C field coil/compressor clutch tech posts to review just so you can get a light down there and really check it out

This thread was from another M6G Member where the failure turned out to be the A/C field coil/clutch head:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/what-is-this-passenger-side-lower-main-pulley-ac.121072/

This thread has the info from the Ford shop manual for how to remove the clutch assembly/field coil:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tentially-a-c-compressor.129712/#post-2686995

There is also this thread which discusses how to remove the A/C stretch belt (and an available Lisle tool to do it too):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ac-stretch-belt-help-please.175709/#post-3554880

---

Not to alarm you, but usually the harmonic balancer has a rubber elastomeric center which binds the (2) parts of the harmonic balancer together (inner and outer) and is used to reduce NVH. If the rubber elastomeric center is failing, it would be slipping which can cause a burnt rubber smell. However IF this were an issue, you may experience other drivability issues along with intermittent squealing, and eventually worse case being the front of the crank snaps off. I don't think this is your issue at all, just putting it out there for another area to inspect. To check, use a good light and shine down at the crank pulley (harmonic balancer) while engine is at idle and there should NOT be any wobble at all - none. If there is a slight wobble OR upon close inspection of the front or back of the harmonic balancer you see any rubber protruding, the balancer should be replaced.

The only other thing I can recommend to check would be the back sides of the front wheels to make sure that the back side of each tire is not coming into any contact with the suspension (mainly strut casing). Look for rub/witness marks not only on the tire but anywhere on the associated suspension components to that wheel area. Also make sure the black plastic inner fender liners aren't loose and coming in contact with the tires.
All the belts are good and the pulleys aren’t wobbling. And nothing is leaking or rubbing. I have realized that it only smells like burning rubber when it is RAINING or the ground is WET. When it is dry I don’t smell anything at all.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
The silica in some winter tires can stink but it's usually more a manure smell.
Sponsored