Bummed after driving ‘17 2SS

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I've had both and honestly loved my '19 GT manual. I know the manual gets criticized in the Mustang but I seriously found it a joy to shift. :thumbsup:

What I didn't like was the crazy grinding noises that seem to get more prevalent throughout the rev rang in 2nd and 3rd gear. Also had annoying dash rattle after week 1. I sold the Mustang early on since didn't' want to deal with the potential headaches and grinding noises were scaring me and I got the GT dirt cheap. (<$30K).

Test drove a '19 Camaro SS manual and liked it but the gearing was too tall IMO, especially 5th and 6th. Test drove the A10 and was super impressed. Smoother than the A10 Mustang GTs I tested for sure. The only knock on the Camaro SS is visibility. Islands and curbs at low speeds, you have to peer your neck some.

Aside from that, the SS feels considerably sportier and handles better than the GT (non PP version) and I think it looks meaner as it sits lower and has a more aggressive hood. I also like that even the base 1SS Camaro has a big screen, Apple Car Play/Android auto standard, and full power seats. The seats fit me better too for whatever reason. The GT's lumbar always seemed too aggressive even when in its lowest setting.

But I'd have kept my GT if it didn't make the annoying sounds and been fine with it.
If I could have found a non-former rental car that turned out to be such a unicorn (2019 2SS with Either Gray color, quad exhaust with the Gray interior), that's what I would have gotten. Unfortunately everyone who has one of these, keeps them. I looked for over a month checking the used internet car sites nationwide on the daily. Bubkiss! I even was willing to sacrifice the quad exhaust in the end for that awesome Gray interior, but again, there would be like 4 nationwide and all four were former rental cars and none had the quad exhaust. So I flat got lucky and the 2018 Roush RS2 popped up for sale in Louisville, 2 hours from me and they made me an awesome deal on my trade in. Would I have liked memory seats and power tilt (like I had in my freaking 9 year old Infiniti G37x), sure. Can I live when I look back at this bad ass ride? Hell yes! When I was buying mine, they had a used ZL1 which had the Recaro Alcantara seats and though they looked sweet, man they were like sitting in Fred Flintstones car! The interior bits were quite ho hum IMO. I think we all naturally find the good in cars we love and minimize the bad. If you want the Camaro, I'd certainly advise going with the 2SS because you lose a metric crap ton of features from the 2SS to the 1SS, and if you are ok with the black interior, you can probably find one with the active exhaust which just looks much better IMO. Good luck man and above all else be happy with what you pay for!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
When I had my A8 2SS, also a 17, I could hang on really well with full/half bolt-ons 15-17 GTs from a roll, and from a dig it would take AWD to beat it out. Never had a chance to give it a go against the an A10 18 GT but assumed it would be pretty even. Regular Hellcats didn't stand a chance from a dig. Fantastic car, loved the look inside and out, sound (had the optional valved quad exhaust and I pulled the fuse to keep the flaps open at all times), performance, chassis, steering, all of it really. It did have some problems though that needed to be sorted, and whoever mentioned needing to be extra careful of curbs due to visibility wasn't lying, but you get used to it. I'm sure my GT500 will be leaps and bounds ahead of those warm fuzzy feelings that car gave me when it arrives.

JUH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost 50th Anniversary Edition
Eh, but it'll never look good as a Mustang :sunglasses::beer:

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Camaro has a dash only its mother could love....show stopper

GT5.0Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
BMW
I'm beginning to wonder if this "can't see out of the tank" assessment is coming from short people or from those who like to sit on the floor pan. On both my mustang and camaro I put 3 fingers (2 inches) between my noggin and the roof liner. I'm not saying rear quarter visibility isn't lousy and the low roofline makes traffic lights hard to see if you're on the line. The 2SS trim with it's driver awareness sensors (nee Ford 'safe and secure') is definitely helpful in the Camaro.
This is one thing I think both the Mustang and Camaro need to improve on. At times it feels as if they designed the space between the driver's head and the roofline based on very very short people or midgets driving them. They could easily design it with 3 more inches. Who wants to drive with their eyes looking directly into sun visor..?

Sponsored

GT5.0Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
BMW
I've had both and honestly loved my '19 GT manual. I know the manual gets criticized in the Mustang but I seriously found it a joy to shift. :thumbsup:

What I didn't like was the crazy grinding noises that seem to get more prevalent throughout the rev rang in 2nd and 3rd gear. Also had annoying dash rattle after week 1. I sold the Mustang early on since didn't' want to deal with the potential headaches and grinding noises were scaring me and I got the GT dirt cheap. (<$30K).

Test drove a '19 Camaro SS manual and liked it but the gearing was too tall IMO, especially 5th and 6th. Test drove the A10 and was super impressed. Smoother than the A10 Mustang GTs I tested for sure. The only knock on the Camaro SS is visibility. Islands and curbs at low speeds, you have to peer your neck some.

Aside from that, the SS feels considerably sportier and handles better than the GT (non PP version) and I think it looks meaner as it sits lower and has a more aggressive hood. I also like that even the base 1SS Camaro has a big screen, Apple Car Play/Android auto standard, and full power seats. The seats fit me better too for whatever reason. The GT's lumbar always seemed too aggressive even when in its lowest setting.

But I'd have kept my GT if it didn't make the annoying sounds and been fine with it.
I have literally sold a couple of new cars due to annoying sound and been paranoid after of buying used cars with low miles because of this.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
One of the factors that made me choose the '18 GT over the '18 SS was that there seem to be more options available for modifying Mustangs for some reason. IMO it was easier to buy the Mustang, knowing I was going to modify it into something with better performance than a lot of modified Camaros. But if you're less inclined to modify a new car then maybe the Camaro would be more attractive. Yesterday driving it I put it into Dragstrip mode for the first time on normal back roads and kept thinking OMG this car is FAST.

I really liked that the Camaro came standard with features that you had to pay extra for in the Mustang, like XM radio. But the gun slits and overall appearance of the Camaro were the other two things that made the Mustang decision easy. Had no problem giving up 0.2 sec 0-60 off the showroom floor for the look from inside and outside of the Mustang.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Had no problem giving up 0.2 sec 0-60 off the showroom floor
blasphemy!! You'd be certifiable to pick the slower car, because racing every car from a red light or 40-160 out on the highways of our great country is all that matters to owners. How can you call yourself a man and still pick the slower car as proven by charts and figures in a magazine article?

substitute M6 vs A10 hogwash as appropriate
/sarc obviously.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 6'2", and have no problems with the Mustang. You're either former NBA player Yao Ming, or don't know that the seats can be lowered :giggle:
Most of it usually has to do with what month the beer baby is they're carrying. My buddy is carrying around a 12 month beer baby and he bitches non-stop about how cramped it is, you know because "He's Tall". He might be 2" taller than me, lol.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
blasphemy!! You'd be certifiable to pick the slower car, because racing every car from a red light or 40-160 out on the highways of our great country is all that matters to owners. How can you call yourself a man and still pick the slower car as proven by charts and figures in a magazine article?

substitute M6 vs A10 hogwash as appropriate
/sarc obviously.
:cwl: I guess that's how experience works... Mike at 23 might have bought the Camaro. Mike at 53, not so much!

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Swap rear end gears. To me, it made a big difference when I test drove different Mustangs. Driving the auto was, "Oh I'm doing 40 already, didn't realize I was accelerating that fast". The 3.55 manual car was, "Gee this is a bit underwheming, thought it would be quicker." The 3.73 manual was, "1st gear is a bit low, but it goes like hell in 2nd gear."

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
:cwl: I guess that's how experience works... Mike at 23 might have bought the Camaro. Mike at 53, not so much!
Rick at 47 sat in a ZL1 with the alcantara Recaros and thought "oh HELLS NO!!" And I've still got a 4 pack in the morning prior to breakfast... When Seger sang "Like a Rock," he was talking about the Recaros in the Camaro....

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Ain't that hard to beat a non-supercharged camaro.

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
The Camaro has a big engine that is going to outmatch the mustang in torque all day. However, the mustang has the sweeter valve-train. Not only does it allow for much higher revving capability but it rewards you when you do; as the rpm's climb, the power really swells. Coyote's also boost up to higher HP easier as well if that's a consideration. If you want to go faster than your gf, I'd recommend going with long tubes, and aftermarket tuning. E85 and coyote's are also a major upgrade worth the while if it's available in your area.

power-packages-2015-2016-2017-mustang-gt
Sponsored