Bummed after driving ‘17 2SS

5ohdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Hey all, my girlfriend recently got into a 2017 Camaro SS 6 speed and well I’ll just keep it simple it is leaps and bounds ahead of my non PP 15 GT.

now, I love my car. The looks. The sound. The feeling of driving a Mustang. It’s special and we all know that.

But damn does that thing move. Pulls harder. Feels more “with it” by a bus length on the 15-17.

Has anyone else experienced this envy lol. I have access to regularly driving a superior car than my own and it makes me want to trade up.

What would do you? Mod to stay level or if you can’t beat em, join em.
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just depends what ya like.

It’s 20hp more powerful, but more important it has more than 60 lb ft of tourqe across a broad power band.

It’s a faster car in a straight line and will feel that way.

The Mustang will feel more exotic, winding out to 7k with a rush of power at the top end vs all over.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
You still have the number one selling pony car and the original the Camaro will always be second no matter what. Not only that but the mustang hasn’t ever stopped being produced unlike the Camaro. Enjoy the mustang and the history it has.

That being said I personally feel the coyote is the better engine for making power over the 6.2. I’ve seen plenty of mustangs running low 9’s yet I don’t see very many Camaros. I’m sure they’re out there but not in the same abundance as the mustang. The 5.0 is a new engine with new technology that really responds well to mods. I would say do an 18 intake with an E-85 tune and a catback and you’ll really wake the car up.

Sponsored

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Hey all, my girlfriend recently got into a 2017 Camaro SS 6 speed and well I’ll just keep it simple it is leaps and bounds ahead of my non PP 15 GT.

now, I love my car. The looks. The sound. The feeling of driving a Mustang. It’s special and we all know that.

But damn does that thing move. Pulls harder. Feels more “with it” by a bus length on the 15-17.

Has anyone else experienced this envy lol. I have access to regularly driving a superior car than my own and it makes me want to trade up.

What would do you? Mod to stay level or if you can’t beat em, join em.
Get a '20 GT PP1....done.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
learn to rev the Coyote. But you're not wrong. Live with the SS a bit longer and some of it's tradeoffs will reveal themselves. If you think the SS is impressive, try the SS+1LE. Variety is the spice of life so don't both get a Camaro. That said even 2020 Camaro SS+1LE are marked down 19% off MSRP (42k on 52k for a 2SS+1LE). So there's that... There are conquest discounts too which will knock another 1500-2000 off.

One of the major weaknesses of the Mustang is the chassis and transmission. If you haven't done the 'stop the hop' (BMR/Steeda) do that pronto and also the $50 differential bolt replacement (fixes a major error by ford engineering) from Lethal/BMR/Steeda. Then the Mustang will behave much better. A Steeda shifter bushing+bracket is a huge improvement even if you don't get a short-throw to go with. It's no Tremec but it's a darn sight better.

OP
OP

5ohdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
learn to rev the Coyote. But you're not wrong. Live with the SS a bit longer and some of it's tradeoffs will reveal themselves. If you think the SS is impressive, try the SS+1LE. Variety is the spice of life so don't both get a Camaro. That said even 2020 Camaro SS+1LE are marked down 19% off MSRP (42k on 52k for a 2SS+1LE). So there's that... There are conquest discounts too which will knock another 1500-2000 off.

One of the major weaknesses of the Mustang is the chassis and transmission. If you haven't done the 'stop the hop' (BMR/Steeda) do that pronto and also the $50 differential bolt replacement (fixes a major error by ford engineering) from Lethal/BMR/Steeda. Then the Mustang will behave much better. A Steeda shifter bushing+bracket is a huge improvement even if you don't get a short-throw to go with. It's no Tremec but it's a darn sight better.
Some have already revealed themselves. Mostly the interior; cool looking, just simple inferior in terms of driver comfort and room, though. Owning the mustang for daily driving is better. But the LS and Tremec (at least stock-for-stock) beat out the coyote.

Do you happen to have a link to that 50 bolt and the stop the hop kit(s)?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
If you love it that much. Trade the 15 in. Gotta be pay off by now.

Reactions: Zay

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

driven and owned many camaro’s including the lastest 1LE. There’s multiple reasons why they aren’t selling and why I switched to a mustang for the first time After owning nothing but GM muscle cars for the last 30 years.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
If you can't afford a new GT PP1 A10, get a used 2018 GT PP1 with the 10 speed auto. If you want to take the chassis and handling up several notches, get a PP1 w/ MagneRide. It makes a big difference. I also highly recommend the GT Premium as it has a lot of useful creature comforts and neat features. The GT hasn't changed mechanically from 2018-2020. The Gen 3 Coyote that came out in the 2018 GTs is a significant improvement over the Gen 2. Not only in peak hp, but across the entire rpm band.

The A10 GT PP1 is a half second faster to 60 mph, and a half second and 5 mph faster in the 1/4 mile than the Gen 3 powered 2018 GT PP1 M6. It's also something like 0.8 seconds and 7-8 mph faster than the 15-17 GTs in the 1/4 mile - very significant. The A10 PP1 trim spec. is faster than any SS trim (and any Challenger 392 trim except for the drag pack one, which is slightly quicker in the 1/4 mile, but still with a lower trap speed than the GT PP1 A10). The Gen 3 Coyote has a little less bottom end torque than the LT1 in the SS, but more hp in the top end. And that A10 keeps the Gen 3 coyote in its power band. The Gen 3 Coyote has a 7,500 rpm redline. It sound killer above 5k (well, any rpm, really), too, and knowing you're only 2/3 of the way to redline is a different feeling compared to a car that redlines 1,000 rpm lower. Looking at the tach sweep toward 7,500 rpm is something I'm still getting used to, after owning the car 13 months (full disclosure, I very rarely redline it - it pulls hard so if I want to do a little spirited driving, I don't typically feel the need to go past 6k).

Or you could do the Ford Performance pack 2 (makes more torque than 3) to make up a little of the hp gap between your GT and your gf's SS. I've seen dyno tests and the +21 hp and +24 ft-lbs is actually a bit conservative. That said, your non PP1 GT chassis still has some major ground to cover to approach the handling of the Alpha (Camaro's) chassis. Here's the stats and link for the power pack stuff: https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-powerpack-2-1517gt.html:

M-9603-M8A - Power Pack 2

• Includes GT350 cold air intake with 87mm throttle body and exclusive intake adapter (hardware available separately without calibration as part number M-9603-M50)
  • 21 horsepower and 24 lb-ft peak gains over stock
  • 40 lb-ft gain at 1500 rpm
  • Industry exclusive open air filter with CARB EO

The Power pack 2 should pick up a couple of tenths or so in the 1/4 mile, but likely won't get you all the way to the SS.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you happen to have a link to that 50 bolt and the stop the hop kit(s)?
bolts:
https://www.steeda.com/s550-diff-bushing-12.9-hardware-upgrade-kit.html ($30 but might not come with the inserts in which case pass) - @SteedaTech clarify?
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1764&superpro=0 ($50)
https://www.lethalperformance.com/lethal-performance-s550-extreme-diff-bolt-upgrade-kit.html ($50 and good writeup)

'stop the hop'
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Stop-The-Hop-Starter-Kit-555-4455 ($350 and currently has 30% discount)
or
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1910&superpro=0 ($200 before 15% discount till Jan 2?)
paired with https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1727&superpro=0 ($110) and https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1989&superpro=0 ($30)

I have the BMR IRS bits on my GT, it's lovely. A pox on Ford for aiming for Corolla softness in a purported "GT/sports" car. It's a disgrace, really.