Sponsored

BULLITT VS GT350

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thought I'd weigh in here for anyone trying to decide between a bullitt and a gt350.
I had my 2019 Bullitt for a little over a year and put around 4500 kms on it. I had no intension of dealing it as I was very impressed with the car top to bottom. I stumbled upon a 2017 gt350 in my dealers showroom in flawless condition with 6000kms on it, and a Whipple. Since I was considering a Whipple for my bullitt it seemed like this was meant to be.
Here's my take on the 2 cars, both have only seen street use:

Power; not a fair comparison here because my Shelby is tuned to 789rwhp. I didn't think there was a better sounding engine than the coyote.. until I drove the voodoo. 7400rpm with the coyote is incredible, the voodoos 8250 is next level. I think even stock the voodoo gets the nod in this category.

Transmission; No contest. Tremec wins by a landslide. Shelby

Brakes; both have brakes that exceed what street use will ever present. 350's are bigger and have brembos on the rear so win Shelby

Suspension; Shelby is stiffer, less body roll. also rougher ride. personal preference here, I like the stiffer ride and better handling. win Shelby

Drivability; For the street the bullitt is the better car. the gt350 tram lines like crazy and fuel milage is non existent. The bullitt is much easier to drive, plenty of power, well balanced and predictable. The gt350 requires your full attention, it really needs to be driven aggressively. Daily driving it on your commute to work in this car would get old fast imo. win bullitt

Appearance; Totally subjective. The Bullitt is gorgeous, clean lines and classy... but almost too plain Jane, and for me it was too often that I had to explain that "yes it has a V8" and "yes its as fast as a gt" and "no this isn't a base model car" I considered wheel swaps, wing options, Whipple, etc but being a bullitt I figured it wasn't to car to modify to the level I was intending.
The Shelby is covered in wings and scoops. The front clip is much more aggressive. Definitely more "hey look at me" Most people that see this car know what it is. It looks special. And it has one of the most iconic names in the automotive world. For my tastes the Shelby wins this department but many prefer the clean and classy approach... call it a draw.

Tech; The cluster on the bullitt gets the nod, I miss the digital display. 4 exhaust modes vs 2 on the gt350 but for me both are always set on track so no big deal there. no rev matching on the Shelby might be missed and no blind spot indicators or puddle laps. win bullitt.

Bottom line for me the gt350 is the better choice, and I couldn't be happier with the switch. Not to say the bullitt wasn't a car that I loved, I just would be more likely to become bored with it. And theres a lot of 2020 bullitts on the lots now and they're selling below list. Same $ or even less than a Loaded GT so the values are not protected., and with more and more on the road they will become common.
The Shelby feels like a street legal race car..... thats not for everyone but it adds to the fun for me. and in my case its a toy that comes out on nice days only. Oil consumption issues and engine failures of the voodoo are embellished as much as the coyote 2k rattle and piston slap. Neither are a real factor imo. I guess if I was going to put 200,000 kms on my car the coyote would be the safer bet but I don't think owners of either car are generally piling the miles on them.
I think both cars are incredible in their own way, your own tastes and application will dictate what's best for you.
Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Thought I'd weigh in here for anyone trying to decide between a bullitt and a gt350.
I had my 2019 Bullitt for a little over a year and put around 4500 kms on it. I had no intension of dealing it as I was very impressed with the car top to bottom. I stumbled upon a 2017 gt350 in my dealers showroom in flawless condition with 6000kms on it, and a Whipple. Since I was considering a Whipple for my bullitt it seemed like this was meant to be.
Here's my take on the 2 cars, both have only seen street use:

Power; not a fair comparison here because my Shelby is tuned to 789rwhp. I didn't think there was a better sounding engine than the coyote.. until I drove the voodoo. 7400rpm with the coyote is incredible, the voodoos 8250 is next level. I think even stock the voodoo gets the nod in this category.

Transmission; No contest. Tremec wins by a landslide. Shelby

Brakes; both have brakes that exceed what street use will ever present. 350's are bigger and have brembos on the rear so win Shelby

Suspension; Shelby is stiffer, less body roll. also rougher ride. personal preference here, I like the stiffer ride and better handling. win Shelby

Drivability; For the street the bullitt is the better car. the gt350 tram lines like crazy and fuel milage is non existent. The bullitt is much easier to drive, plenty of power, well balanced and predictable. The gt350 requires your full attention, it really needs to be driven aggressively. Daily driving it on your commute to work in this car would get old fast imo. win bullitt

Appearance; Totally subjective. The Bullitt is gorgeous, clean lines and classy... but almost too plain Jane, and for me it was too often that I had to explain that "yes it has a V8" and "yes its as fast as a gt" and "no this isn't a base model car" I considered wheel swaps, wing options, Whipple, etc but being a bullitt I figured it wasn't to car to modify to the level I was intending.
The Shelby is covered in wings and scoops. The front clip is much more aggressive. Definitely more "hey look at me" Most people that see this car know what it is. It looks special. And it has one of the most iconic names in the automotive world. For my tastes the Shelby wins this department but many prefer the clean and classy approach... call it a draw.

Tech; The cluster on the bullitt gets the nod, I miss the digital display. 4 exhaust modes vs 2 on the gt350 but for me both are always set on track so no big deal there. no rev matching on the Shelby might be missed and no blind spot indicators or puddle laps. win bullitt.

Bottom line for me the gt350 is the better choice, and I couldn't be happier with the switch. Not to say the bullitt wasn't a car that I loved, I just would be more likely to become bored with it. And theres a lot of 2020 bullitts on the lots now and they're selling below list. Same $ or even less than a Loaded GT so the values are not protected., and with more and more on the road they will become common.
The Shelby feels like a street legal race car..... thats not for everyone but it adds to the fun for me. and in my case its a toy that comes out on nice days only. Oil consumption issues and engine failures of the voodoo are embellished as much as the coyote 2k rattle and piston slap. Neither are a real factor imo. I guess if I was going to put 200,000 kms on my car the coyote would be the safer bet but I don't think owners of either car are generally piling the miles on them.
I think both cars are incredible in their own way, your own tastes and application will dictate what's best for you.
Hi - Overall, a very good review. Although the bias is clear, you’re honest about it. None of us are bias free. The last sentence says it all and that’s why manufacturers offer different models... Bruce

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I test drove a GT350 before the Bullitt. I liked the sound of the Voodoo much more, but for the price difference as a guy that doesn't track much it wasn't enough to sway me. That said if they had a DHG GT350 I'd have bought it anyway.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
"Cost to maintain", if that has any bearing.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
@The Rooster, nice points. I will chime in my thoughts as I presently own both a 2019 Bullitt (daily driver) and 2020 GT350R (weekend spirited runs). Both have Technology Pack, Recaro seats, and MagneRide. Each car has its niche, and I cannot declare one as a winner over the other. The GT350 shifter and gearbox is like butter, but the Bullitt has given me no trouble with its MT, and I cannot be further satisfied. I do prefer the analog gauges in the GT350, but I am old school and that is just the nostalgia for my generation. As far as ride and daily use, the Bullitt has the edge, but when it comes to twisty roads in the the Northeast corner of Alabama heading into either Tennessee or Georgia, the GT350 has the edge. The winning number of both cars is the exhaust. Each has its own unique exhaust sound both due to the engine crank as well as the exhaust system setups. I cannot be any more pleased with both choices. Anyway this is just my 2 cents. Regards
E6D8D6E8-B591-486F-AB71-85E7E380DEAD.jpeg

Sponsored

coltgus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang Shadow Black
The Shelby might be the better choice for you but not for me. If, like most people, one is going to spend most of the time and mileage on public roads the Bullitt is clearly the better choice.

OP
OP
The Rooster

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Clearly the better choice for you... you mean.
I posted this to give perspective from someone who’s owned both. And although very much the same car, there are significant differences that will appeal to different buyers. What the better choice is depends on what you want out of your car.

coltgus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang Shadow Black
I agree with that.

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I'd be interested in a S/C Bullitt/ vs S/C GT350 comparison (like the stock comparison) for driver feeling.
That blower is definitely upping the score in that department over the stock Voodoo.

Realistically the GT350 should edge out what's below it in almost all categories. It's a top shelf Mustang to go along with its top shelf price tag.

Badass ride you got there. Enjoy the hell out of it. :)

dean_acheson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Boss 302, 2019 Bullitt
I've owned both, a new 2017 GT-350 with electronics pack / Recaros, which I traded my 2012 Boss 302 in for, and now I'm in a new 2019 Bullitt, electronics / magnaride / recaros. Both are only cars that I daily drive. Both are bone stock.

I liked the recaros in the Shelby a bit more than the ones in the Bullitt as they were a bit more snug. I preferred the alcantera wheel in the Shelby along with the analog gauges and panel. Shifting was a bit nicer with the Tremec over the MT-82, which might be shifter and might be transmission. No idea. That being said, the Shelby with its flat plane crank just had a lot of rattles and other issues that while Ford had dampened the hell out of, were still quite noticeable. I never had a lick of issues with my GT-350, but I honestly worried about what that car would be like if I had hit 75 or 100k miles. In the back of your head, you also worried about the torque specs on the oil filter with all the vibrations.

On the Bullitt I prefer the overall fit and finish. I can't really point to anything that I like better with the Bullitt than the Shelby. I can't say that it feels much different in the power department on the bottom or middle. If anything, the Bullitt feels stronger. Of course, it doesn't have the visceral thrill of the voodoo at the top end.

The Bullitt is a better daily driver, IMHO. I'd rather go on a long drive in it than the Shelby. But I'm a bit longer in the tooth and want less of a track car that has odd rattles. I think that I'll probably install a MGW shifter in my Bullitt. I had one in my 2012 Boss 302 and it's just a marvelous item. Can't say enough great things about it.
Sponsored

Last edited: