Sponsored

Bullitt Resonator different than Mustang GT?

Slamson00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I was curious if the resonator that comes stock on the 2019/2020 Bullitt is different than the resonators that come on the standard GTs of the same years?

I remember Ford saying in press junkets that the “tuned” the Bullitt sound to be special? Then thought I saw that they did this by the stock resonator being different on the Bullitts.

Anyone else heard or read this? Is the stock Bullitt resonator a different part number from the standard GT resonator?
Sponsored

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Believe so based on what Carl Widmann said in one of the many interviews around when the 2019 was being shown.

3 main things about the exhaust system that's different:
-Active Exhaust/Tuning different than GT
-Resonator different (according to Carl)
-Mufflers same design as GT, different part # due to black nitro plated tips

Would be great if it could get officially confirmed of the differences.

OP
OP

Slamson00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Thanks for the response. makes sense, I remember hearing all that too when the Bullitt came out.

I’m headed to my local Ford dealer this afternoon for an oil change so I will see what their parts department has to say. I will report back what I find.

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
The part number for a 2019 Bullitt VIN: 1FA6P8K04K5500840 is JR3Z*5A289*A - also, my 2021 Mustang GT with no options from the factory outside of an automatic transmission is ALSO JR3Z*5A289*A - I can find zero alternate part number for a resonator - Ecoboost is a different part number than GT, that is the only difference I can find.

OP
OP

Slamson00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
The part number for a 2019 Bullitt VIN: 1FA6P8K04K5500840 is JR3Z*5A289*A - also, my 2021 Mustang GT with no options from the factory outside of an automatic transmission is ALSO JR3Z*5A289*A - I can find zero alternate part number for a resonator - Ecoboost is a different part number than GT, that is the only difference I can find.
You are correct. Ford dealership just gave me the same part number for my Bullitt for the resonator. And looking online it appears the Mustang GT resonator part number is exactly the same.

which begs the question, what exactly did Ford “tune special” for the Bullitt exhaust sound?

Sponsored

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
BULLITT MUFFLERS:
KR3Z*5230*N
KR3Z*5230*M

2021 BASE GT MUFFLERS (NON ACTIVE)
JR3Z*5230*BD
JR3Z*5230*BC

Cat converters are the same between both cars - so it must be nothing more than different mufflers.

OP
OP

Slamson00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Thanks for everyone’s posts. I was thinking about doing the Steeda resonator delete but honestly in sound clips online I don’t hear much of a difference if any. DB go up a couple here and there but if the stock Bullitt exhaust is tuned specifically for the car I am hesitant to change it out. That’s why I was curious about resonator and muffler part numbers. I get the mufflers are different oart numbers but that is because the Bullitt has the nitro coated exhaust tips.

yeah this all still seems to be clear as mud. Perhaps the Bullitt exhaust note and what makes it special is in the tune itself. Not hardware?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I was curious if the resonator that comes stock on the 2019/2020 Bullitt is different than the resonators that come on the standard GTs of the same years?

I remember Ford saying in press junkets that the “tuned” the Bullitt sound to be special? Then thought I saw that they did this by the stock resonator being different on the Bullitts.

Anyone else heard or read this? Is the stock Bullitt resonator a different part number from the standard GT resonator?
As others have mentioned the resonator from the factory is the same on the GT and Bullitt.

A resonator delete typically does change the tone enough for some guys to be happy with the difference; some go with an axleback or catback as well to completely change the tone.

If you go with an X pipe setup you'll have a raspier tone to it where an H pipe will have an older muscle car tone and be deeper. Same for the catback with an X or H pipe.

Swapping to a resonator delete or even full catback isn't going to hurt the performance of the car. Majority of the setups are going to flow more than the stock too.

Hit me up and I can help out with a resonator delete, axle back or even catback. Have some killer deals going for Black Friday!

https://www.beefcakeracing.com/black-friday-sale/

Feel free to DM me or call with any questions!
Terry "Beefcake" Reeves
- 855-827-7223 -
#beefcakeracing #teambeefcake

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
yeah this all still seems to be clear as mud. Perhaps the Bullitt exhaust note and what makes it special is in the tune itself. Not hardware?
That’s my way of thinking - but tread carefully so as not to offend :like:

Thanks for everyone’s posts. I was thinking about doing the Steeda resonator delete but honestly in sound clips online I don’t hear much of a difference if any. DB go up a couple here and there but if the stock Bullitt exhaust is tuned specifically for the car I am hesitant to change it out. That’s why I was curious about resonator and muffler part numbers. I get the mufflers are different oart numbers but that is because the Bullitt has the nitro coated exhaust tips.
My Steeda H went on today so this is very topical for me.

It’s the same but different, if that makes sense lol

From inside the car it’s a bit louder (in a good way), but quiet mode seems little different (which is also good). Defo a few more pops and burbles on the overrun. Rev matching sounds wicked when driving enthusiastically on the blips that take the rpm up to 5k+, it kind of makes the engine sound more responsive / more free revving (I know it not, it just sounds that way) :like:

From outside the car (all judged by my daughter who was in her room doing homework), it louder and smoother if that makes sense ? She said I thought you were home, then it got a bit louder, then some more, then I got home … lol

Cold starts (only had one since it’s been on) are ‘really’ nice.

I’m a M6 and in track mode (there are other modes … ?), I’ve not found any drone at any rpm.

WD :like:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Slamson00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
That’s great to hear you’re happy with the delete. I’m sure I will still do it was just curious going in if I should hold on to the stock regulator if it was special or specific to the Bullitt. Sounds like it isn’t.

like I said I’m going to pick up an H pipe delete now that I know the part numbers are the same for the Bullitt resonator and the GT resonator.

Thanks for the info and feedback!!

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
I went with a Steeda H pipe resonator delete - I had an FRPP X-pipe delete on my 2015 - with stock quiet 2015 GT Mufflers - with my 21 - I wound up putting a stock resonator back on the car after a month or so - it was just WAY too loud and obnoxious - either that, or I'm getting old and grumpy - on my 2015 the resonator delete did very little to change must of anything...my opinion, 2018-2023 stock exhaust is just about perfect, loud enough, but not obnoxious at all.

One interesting thing to note - the factory resonator was tossed out by the shop that installed the H - I had to purchase a new H pipe...the brand new H pipe made the car less loud vs. stock...over the next couple months, the car returned to it's previous level of stock noise level....I think the packing material within the resonator "blows out" or breaks down somewhat over time....not like glasspack mufflers or anything that extreme, but it DOES seem to change a bit.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I went with a Steeda H pipe resonator delete - I had an FRPP X-pipe delete on my 2015 - with stock quiet 2015 GT Mufflers - with my 21 - I wound up putting a stock resonator back on the car after a month or so - it was just WAY too loud and obnoxious - either that, or I'm getting old and grumpy - on my 2015 the resonator delete did very little to change must of anything...my opinion, 2018-2023 stock exhaust is just about perfect, loud enough, but not obnoxious at all.

One interesting thing to note - the factory resonator was tossed out by the shop that installed the H - I had to purchase a new H pipe...the brand new H pipe made the car less loud vs. stock...over the next couple months, the car returned to it's previous level of stock noise level....I think the packing material within the resonator "blows out" or breaks down somewhat over time....not like glasspack mufflers or anything that extreme, but it DOES seem to change a bit.
Just out of interest - do you have AE ? :like:

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Just out of interest - do you have AE ? :like:

No, my car started life as a 400A base GT with two options, a 10R80, and a spare tire, and nothing else…

I have added Sync 3, activated drive modes, and added factory take off leather upholstery, so, now it’s essentially a “premium“ car, since ford seems to have lowered the bar on what makes a car “premium“ as of 2022-2023, there are premium cars with 18” wheels, and no leather wrapped console, which is super strange.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
No, my car started life as a 400A base GT with two options, a 10R80, and a spare tire, and nothing else…

I have added Sync 3, activated drive modes, and added factory take off leather upholstery, so, now it’s essentially a “premium“ car, since ford seems to have lowered the bar on what makes a car “premium“ as of 2022-2023, there are premium cars with 18” wheels, and no leather wrapped console, which is super strange.
Thank you :like:

As a general trend / in most cases it seems to be :
  • Active exhaust guys = Love it.
  • Non active exhaust guys = Can be a bit loud and / or a bit tinny.
Interestingly and for what it’s worth, when my Ford tech first knew what I wanted him to fit he thought it was going to be ridiculous, but when he rung me after fitment he said he was really surprised and it was much less than he was expecting :like:

Note : Remember I’m a euro so we have cats and particulate filters :like:

Sponsored