Sponsored

Bullitt exhaust sounds changes with steeda tune?

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Hi.

I have tuned my 20 Bullitt with SCT tuner with 'Bullitt tune' a few days ago, and the exhaust sound has drastically changed to the way I don't prefer. Of course, the car feels more lively and lighter on driving and I am happy about it.

The stock Bullitt had very nice deep rumbles and low pitch note with acceleration and nice crackles and pops sound with letting the clutch go, and I really liked it as much as I liked my old 08 Bullitt exhaust note. The new(?) exhaust sound after steeda tun now has much shallow, little higher pitch with acceleration and very low degree of crackles and pops. Steeda sent me two tunes (one with guggling sound, and the one without guggling), and both make my car sounds more shallow and higher pitch. The tune without guggling completely removes crackles, and the one with guggling makes it less noticeable than the stock. I loaded both tunes and stock one again to make sure that it is not in my head, and it surely drastically changes the exhaust sounds and performance.

Did you guys with steeda tune experience the same thing? Is it something that I have to take to get smoother performance gain with custom tune? or can steeda tune (from James) be revised to get the similar stock sound with the same performance gain? I think ford did really good job at tuning the car's exhaust note with software only. I also loaded custom tune from brenspeed for my 08 Bullitt many years ago, and it did not alter the exhaust note as much as this tune.

:X
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Can't help you, but your 'experiment' puts to rest the now fact that the Ford tune (probably along with the GT-350 parts) has a noticeable improvement on the Bullitt's exhaust note, over regular GTs. Meaning the exhaust system itself is identical to other GTs. I only thought was possible to add 'crackles', but not that tuning alone would change the exhaust note, but apparently that's exactly the case :).

By the way, I read on other threads that no tuner has been able to equal the stock Bullitt exhaust note, but hopefully somebody out there was able to 'reverse-engineer' the Ford tune, and figure it out. That's why I don't want to change anything on the car :). Good luck.

OP
OP
destiny.seeker

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Can't help you, but your 'experiment' puts to rest the now fact that the Ford tune (probably along with the GT-350 parts) has a noticeable improvement on the Bullitt's exhaust note, over regular GTs. Meaning the exhaust system itself is identical to other GTs. I only thought was possible to add 'crackles', but not that tuning alone would change the exhaust note, but apparently that's exactly the case :).

By the way, I read on other threads that no tuner has been able to equal the stock Bullitt exhaust note, but hopefully somebody out there was able to 'reverse-engineer' the Ford tune, and figure it out. That's why I don't want to change anything on the car :). Good luck.
If I knew that the bullitt exhaust note would change this much (maybe just like other GT), I would not get custom tunes since the exhaust note was one of the major selling point for me as well. :(

But I also like how my bullitt feels now with driving manner after the custom tune loaded... Which means that I have to choose one over the other now unless someone can mimic the bullitt notes. I guess this generation Bullitt was built perfectly balanced from the factory as a special edetion indeed. :S on the other hand, my first 08 bullitt actually got only better with added mods without sacrificing its original identity. (pulley, spark plugs, full steeda suspension upgrade, tires, h pipe, custome tune, and other exterior mods all made the car only better...)

Should i contact steeda for this concern?

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Any chance of a before and after recording?

scottso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’ve actually been dataloging these tunes for James for this exact issue on both 93 and e85 gurgle Steeda tunes. In my case there is zero difference between the standard and gurgle tunes in the exhaust note. He asked me to datalog the stock tune when it does the rumbles and pops and I just sent it to him a couple of days ago. I’ll update with any progress.

Also if you have time you should call him directly and report your results. When I initially contacted him he said no one had said anything about the gurgle tunes not working so he might not be aware that this is an issue that is perhaps more common than it would seem.

Sponsored

OP
OP
destiny.seeker

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I’ve actually been dataloging these tunes for James for this exact issue on both 93 and e85 gurgle Steeda tunes. In my case there is zero difference between the standard and gurgle tunes in the exhaust note. He asked me to datalog the stock tune when it does the rumbles and pops and I just sent it to him a couple of days ago. I’ll update with any progress.

Also if you have time you should call him directly and report your results. When I initially contacted him he said no one had said anything about the gurgle tunes not working so he might not be aware that this is an issue that is perhaps more common than it would seem.
Yes, my guggling tune also has a very minimal level of guggling comparing to the stock. and my more major concern is that the exhaust note became very shallow and light from the deep rumbling sounds. it sounded like a lion before with the ford tune, and now it sounds like a cat with a steeda tune. :p

I just emailed Steeda customer care about my issue as well, and try to work with them as they suggest. I may end up sending my datalog as well just like you did, and altogether it will help them to refine their performance-based tune to the next level. :D

please update me here with your result as well.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess this generation Bullitt was built perfectly balanced from the factory as a special edetion indeed.
no, it just means that Ford dicked with the tune to "give it that sound" while staying within the parameters of EPA emissions, whereas Steeda's priorities have less to do with aural and more with actual. Can't say anything about the EPA compliance aspect.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Exhaust note is perfect on the Bullitt and car is plenty fast for me but maybe I'm just starting to get old. Thought about resonator delete and h-pipe but will leave stock. Wonder if changing the rear end/final drive ratio + using the Steeda tune would also alter the exhaust note?

OP
OP
destiny.seeker

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
no, it just means that Ford dicked with the tune to "give it that sound" while staying within the parameters of EPA emissions, whereas Steeda's priorities have less to do with aural and more with actual. Can't say anything about the EPA compliance aspect.
But but.... the aural aspect was one of the many Bullitt owner's buying points.

As a previous 2008 Bullitt owner, I loved the sound of the Bullitt so much when I had it, so I had to change my 08 GT500 convertible's exhaust to the Bullitt's exhaust system completely just to mimic that. and it did!. Back then, the Bullitt exhaust note was achieved by mostly hardware changes, and that's why I believed that 2020 Bullitt was built in the same way.

I don't track race or street race anymore, so I chose this Bullitt edition over GT350 or Mach 1. This is why I am a bit disappointed with the result. I would be 100% happy if I was only caring about the actual performance. But I would not choose this Bullitt edition either if I was one of those performance enthusiasts.

After having both 08 Bullitt and 08 GT500, I realized that I was not all over the performance like I thought I was. :S

Last edited:
OP
OP
destiny.seeker

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Exhaust note is perfect on the Bullitt and car is plenty fast for me but maybe I'm just starting to get old. Thought about resonator delete and h-pipe but will leave stock. Wonder if changing the rear end/final drive ratio + using the Steeda tune would also alter the exhaust note?
Now I agree with your opinion more than 100%. Yes, I love how the car drives now with the steeda tune, but the added fun from performance gain gets exactly negated by the lost fun from less pleasing sounds.

If steeda can not improve the exhaust note anymore from here, I guess that I will be constantly switching between these two tunes from time to time depending on how I feel on that day. Haha

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
You didn't change any of the intake components, correct? It was just the tune?

OP
OP
destiny.seeker

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
You didn't change any of the intake components, correct? It was just the tune?
it is all stock except audio (sub upgraded) and tires. So it was just the tune. It sounded like normal stock bullitt again when I loaded the stock tune back after a few days, so it is a specifically 'tune' related change.

scottso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just emailed Steeda customer care about my issue as well, and try to work with them as they suggest.
I was just dealing with James directly. Sending it through Steeda just adds a middleman. They just pass on your info to him anyway. His contact number is (407) 744-1881 or email him at [email protected]. He should already have all your info. He’s good about responding even if it takes a few days.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
You are the first person I've heard describe a change in the sound. I am very curious as to what Steeda will tell you. That actually was one of the things Steeda mentioned to me when I interviewed regarding the SME Edition for my book. They didn't want to mess with the sound because they thought it was great.

OP
OP
destiny.seeker

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I was just dealing with James directly. Sending it through Steeda just adds a middleman. They just pass on your info to him anyway. His contact number is (407) 744-1881 or email him at [email protected]. He should already have all your info. He’s good about responding even if it takes a few days.
Thanks. I will send the email to him directly to make the process easier and faster. Thanks again for your help.
Sponsored