Bullitt engine look vs Stock GT with engine cover

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Was looking at a Bullitt engine pic with a friend and he asked if the different look was just a GT's engine cover taken off. I told him I did not know but would check with some Bullitt owners. I definitely like the look of the Bullitt openness and being able to see the runners but do know know if the GT can be made to look the same. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Magmetallic15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt, 2005 Mustang GT
Was looking at a Bullitt engine pic with a friend and he asked if the different look was just a GT's engine cover taken off. I told him I did not know but would check with some Bullitt owners. I definitely like the look of the Bullitt openness and being able to see the runners but do know know if the GT can be made to look the same. Any thoughts?
It is my understanding that the Cold Air Intake, the Throttle Body and the intake runners are all from the GT 350, so yes it would look different than a standard 5.0 engine with the cover off. Because of the runners height, it may have made it near impossible to make a cover for the Bullitt engine because the cover would hit the strut tower brace.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Bullitt engines are much sexier... just like their owners. Ha ha. Having said that, the studs look like crap, so I replaced them with bolts. And the 2 engine ones just cut them off and sanded them flush. Looks better now. I'd have preferred an engine cover, but with the mods listed above, now I like how the engine looks. But it's just okay IMO. Not Ferrari sexy by any means :).

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
JC,
Could you describe a bit more or do you have a pic of what you described above?
Also, just out of curiosity, could that be done with a non Bullitt. Now you got me curious of what can be done to further help the looks of the engine bay..

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Bullitt engine is regular Coyote with CAI, GT350 throttle body and throttle body adapter - which is basically what Ford Performance package comes from - you can make cover fit but you have to cutout a small hole on the front edge for vacuum tube coming off intake tube.

Reactions: Bmt

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
KZ,
Thanks. I think they look much better without the cover..
I have mine off - didn't feel like cutting hole in it and just left it off. Takes about five minutes to remove it.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
I would have thought it would be easy to just pull it off as I would imagine it is just press and pull like most engine covers. I have mine off in a 981 GTS because it makes it easier to get to the battery and other under hood items.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Could you describe a bit more or do you have a pic of what you described above?
The 4 studs where the engine cover goes I removed them (not an easy task, as they're long, and you need to over-extend the hoses a little, but just do it carefully, and there's no need to remove anything. I was going to leave those plastic things off, but engine looks weird, so just replaced the studs with 4 large black screws I had laying around (pic below). The other 2 studs on the valve covers cannot be removed. I tried to unscrew them, but they just turned. They're probably embedded with the casting, so cut them off with a Dremel, grind them down as much as possible with a stone wheel, filed them almost flush, then sanded them down. Then painted them black with a Sharpie. Not a factory job, but looks MUCH better than the studs :). Hope this helps.

I have mine off in a 981 GTS because it makes it easier to get to the battery and other under hood items.
Looks like crap without the cover. Ha ha. I just installed a SAE battery pigtail, routed around the HVAC box, and exiting on the passenger side hood hinge. It was invisible, and I could charge the battery without opening the 'frunk'. And if I ever had a flat battery, no need to jump the inside of the car, which is quite dangerous. If you keep that car, do that. You don't need to remove that cover for anything else, until you change the brake fluid.

Bullitt engine mod.JPG

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
JC,
Thanks for the pic. You did a good job. That and the link from "Old Racer" helped give me some ideas.
JC, On the P car, I just like it off as I like to scope things out and although it has never needed anything I still like to "look and see". Right now, think I might see about letting the P go as life is short and so little time to check out other cars. Will contact a few P dealers to get an idea of what it might be worth. Know dealers will low ball you but I need to get a base line. There is always Rennlist and various P places. Have a local Ford dealer checking on the build status of PP1 cars and any recent build date Bullitts in our part of the country..
Sponsored