Sponsored

Bullitt dreams slashed for now, considering an Ecoboost.

3xpendable

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Anglia 106E Wagon, 2015 Ford Escape 2.0
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Have wanted a Bullitt since they came out and finally had a decent deposit saved up this yr only for prices to skyrocket. Faced with the inevitability that it will probably be 2 yrs+ before prices come back to an affordable level (I set $35k as my budget) I am strongly considering getting a new Ecoboost first as we intended on getting one for my wife after I paid off the Bullitt anyway. With that in mind I had some questions:

At present I probably intend to keep my old SUV as it is only worth $3k ish but if I were to sell it, the Stang would be my car and therefore would occasioanlly need to be on parent duty. I am not basically WFH permanently so it wouldnt be used daily. Our kid just turned 3 so is still in a convertible seat and probably will be 2 ish yrs before moving to a booster (either the 5 point or traditional one). Does anyone have experience here of car seats in the back of S550's? Someone suggested I joined some car seat group on Facebook but no way in hell am I going into that snake pit of santimommy's!

If I were to buy a new one, what is the wait time at the moment? I've heard Flat Rock is shut down, but elsewhere I read it is having two 1-week shutdowns this month. Do customer orders take precedent over generic builds? I know it is a different plant but my friend ordered a F150 a month ago and he has a VIN and build date of late June. I ask as she is specific in that she wants an orange Coupe with the black accent package and a few other specifics that aren't on any car I have found nationwide and even then it's on a used car that is more than what a new build would cost (I get X Plan).

Thanks in advance, I will probably have more questions but look forward to joining the club.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Can't help on wait times but I can on the car seat. The rear facing fit but was a pita! We just went forward facing a few months ago and it's much easier to put the seat in right and get the little one in and out. Plus she loves looking forward now. For reference I'm using the nuna rava for my little one.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
$35K for a Bullitt? Good luck with that. The last one I saw had a sticker of $54K, probably could've gotten for $41K. At the time, I just couldn't get back to a stick.

OP
OP

3xpendable

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Can't help on wait times but I can on the car seat. The rear facing fit but was a pita! We just went forward facing a few months ago and it's much easier to put the seat in right and get the little one in and out. Plus she loves looking forward now. For reference I'm using the nuna rava for my little one.
Yeah we are already fwd facing thankfully. The dealer we got our wifes Escape from has offered to loan us a GT to bring to the house and try our seat so I may take them up on it.

$35K for a Bullitt? Good luck with that. The last one I saw had a sticker of $54K, probably could've gotten for $41K. At the time, I just couldn't get back to a stick.
Pre COVID they were as low as $37k, they would have been $35-$37k now had it not been for the surge in used prices and yes, good luck with that is why I'm looking at an Ecoboost.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Unless you intend to keep an Ecoboost, I would seriously consider a used GT. You will suffer much less depreciation. Like it or not, Mustangs do not hold their value in normal circumstances.

Sponsored

OP
OP

3xpendable

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Unless you intend to keep an Ecoboost, I would seriously consider a used GT. You will suffer much less depreciation. Like it or not, Mustangs do not hold their value in normal circumstances.
Intention is to keep both cars long term.

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue 2.3T/AT Mustang
Keep you're suv and keep saving. Look privately and avoid dealers. You will want more with the Eco once it's learned. Mods are expensive and provide minimal gains unless you do multiple data logs and tune revisions, while breaking the law doing 100+ mph back to back runs once a week. Trust me on this. The Eco aftermarket exhaust is pure gross sounding. You will never EVER get that V8 sound or...respect from others who have all that. Again...you will want more.

The Eco does provide awesome MPGs, great handling and stopping power; being light up front. It is also a decent performer besting the earlier 4.6 Mustangs. However, they heat soak easily and are made of glass. The block is an open deck design and prone to Lspi, and head gasket scuffing from cylinder movement which causes head gasket failure. If not caught in time, the pressure from the cylinders will escape into the water jacket and explode the center of the block at cyl 2/3.

The Mustang in general is not good for anything in the back seats. Car seats in the rear are a joke. Also, ain't know body going sit back there. They are only there to complete the look of the car imo.

Again, save, save , and SAVE! No need to buy anything right now in this economy. Everything is inflated, and who knows what's coming next. Pay bills, loans and stay ahead.

Buy what you truly desire. Go get that Bullet when the opportunity presents itself.

This is coming from a guy you had an Eco and it owned me, I didn't own it. Lots of money. Good times, very fast, awesome handler with full Steeda suspension, big turbo, and supporting mods. However, I really wanted a V8.

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
After owning mine for a few years, and constantly monitoring the market, it seemed as if the base models don't, but the GT350s and Performance Packages do and mine never dropped below what I paid for it. And I guess you're not counting the rarity Mustangs from back in the day like the Cobras and classics? Because those are worth triple or more what they were new.

I never plan to sell mine but it's crazy seeing the value of my car at $10k-$12k more than what I paid for it with 20k more miles than when I bought it.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Keep saving - you may find that you will happy you waited for the S650 GT.

Sponsored

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
It's a tough used car market for sure.

When I bought my GT350 in November, I was looking for almost a month. When I found the one I wanted, the dealerships would say "There is a buyer in financing for it right now", "I can't guarantee it will be here by the time you get here, unless you put a deposit down". Thought I would never find one.

I have to agree with others, either keep saving for the Bullitt or find a used GT.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Currently prices are at a very high point. carmakers are having troubles building new cars first with Covid and now with chip shortages, so lots are empty -> Prices are rising. If you want a good deal on a Mustang my best guess is to still keep waiting a bit longer. It's just a really bad time to get a car (no matter if new or used)

If Ford does not make any further delays the S650 will launch late 2022. Prices for the current models will most likely drop by a big chunk once people are able to order the new Mustang. If you then still want a S550 you will save a lot of money compared to now and if you still want to order a brand new mustang the S650 surely will offer more value for the money (new tech, better, mpg, etc)

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Holy Hannah you're right! I just looked out of curiousity, most of them little under 10k miles hover around $50k.

I daily mine, so I've put on 23,000 miles since Feb 2020, but still with KBB value came up at $46k private and $43k dealer. Maybe I should trade in?

NAH! This thing is a dream. @OP - I would highly recommend this vehicle and would save up rather than go for Ecoboost. Or go the used GT route like people suggested.

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (Velocity Blue)
Don't settle, or you'll always be not completely satisfied with your expensive purchase.

Keep saving and keep looking. By the time you find the car you truly want, you'll be even more financially ahead when it comes time to purchase. It may not be tomorrow or even a couple months from now, but it'll happen and you'll be glad you waited.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Don't even consider buying a car right now. Whether new, used, or about to go into the crusher. that's just a stupid idea right now.

Wait 6 months until Christmas time, and then go shopping. The lunacy will be over by then.
Sponsored