Sponsored

built short block vs rebuild vs new crate......eager to hear your opinions.

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
Mods in sig. 62xxx miles. I made a post a few months ago about a tapping sound occurring between 2-3k rpm. After over 2 months in the shop and $6k replacing timing components, telling me my gasoline was contaminated, replacing crankshaft position sensors, then referring to a different shop, I am told my car has "stacked rod bearings causing the pistons to hit the heads". I asked the shop about dropping a new crate coyote in, but they advised against that and suggested I go with a built lower end.

Car is paid off. I do not drag race it, nor do I have the desire to do so. I'd like to do the occasional HPDE days. Here's my debate.....

1. Get built short block from someone like JPC, keep current mods on it. Drive it like I stole it.
2. Buy new Gen 3 Coyote, sell procharger, keep 2018 manifold and go to E85 and maybe longtubes.
3. Buy new Gen 3 Coyote, keep procharger and hope this doesn't happen again.
4. Buy new Gen 3 Coyote, return to stock, part out mods, sell car, buy something else.
5. Rebuild current engine, but with better internals. Keep mods. Hope shop is good at what they do.
6. Stage car being stolen and wrecked, collect insurance money, hope insurance company does not see this post.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Best long term solution would be to get a built shortblock somewhere and reuse your top end. Easiest would be to get a new crate engine, but even though it should handle boost fine the big benefit of having a warranty from Ford on it goes out the window. If you were stock and stayed that way, it would be the way to go. But for you I would go with a complete shortblock or if you have a local builder and time to spare get yours built.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You've got $895,135,922.18 in mods on that car. Selling/parting the car will see you lose most of that.

Just fix the engine in the most durable fashion.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
No need to reinvent the wheel, if you're not tracking it, have it rebuilt or a new clean short block.

If, however, you want to start pounding on it a little, Now is the time. Rebuild it hardened for whatever your candy is.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
a new gen3 shortblock will hold all you need no problem. but if you want a built gen2 shortblock i have one for $3500

Sponsored

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
What did you decide on?
Sponsored