Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
This is a hypothetical situation.

Lets say i wanted to go big turbo in the future. Would it make sense if i built the bottom end up now and still retain the stock turbo and head and then go big turbo in the future when funds allow and turn up the wick from the get go? I would look at it as putting my safeguards in place before going with more boost. Or am i wasting my time?
Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
No, you are not wasting your time. You are just doing it backward. Why not get the big turbo installed first, keep it at a reasonable boost level. Then when you get use to the new power, build the engine and turn the boost setting to: Kill!!!

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
You're never wasting your time building your engine and there'd be nothing wrong with building prior to going BT. It'd actually be a pretty safe and smart decision, in my opinion.

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
No, you are not wasting your time. You are just doing it backward. Why not get the big turbo installed first, keep it at a reasonable boost level. Then when you get use to the new power, build the engine and turn the boost setting to: Kill!!!
This ! Depending on what power your after there are plenty of nice larger turbo options you can throw at the stock block and i believe will handle it just fine. the money spent to build a short block you can invest in a nice turbo kit to enjoy now.

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
63 Ranchero, 1972 Pinto, 2015 Mustang
It's way cheaper to add rods/pistons before you hurt the engine. (I know from experience)

Sponsored

i4gains

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver EB Mustang with PP
what im curious to know, it does sound like overall the safer and more reliable option to build the block first, and maybe cheaper, a few questions:

If anyone who had their motor blow up had built the block and had a catch can, would that mostly prevent any engine blow ups with lets say a tune from a good tuner (adam) and a stock turbo?

what other parts besides rods and pistons would i need to build the block, and roughly what would the parts cost and what would install be (i imagine expensive)?

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Sounds like you're getting off on the right foot by doing that.

I can't remember if its for sale or not but talk to Adam about the individual port head swap he was working on a little while back. MAPerformance modded a 2.0 Ford head to fit the 2.3 bottom end.

So if you're already cracking the motor open...
IMG_3831.JPG

OP
OP
Tamadrummer88

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
When I decide to build the motor, I'm gonna have MAP install one of their shortblocks in.

When I was into foxbody mustangs people were putting in DART blocks and using the stock heads and intake and bolting on a turbo kit.

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I bought a new engine from Ford, had it shipped to Six Sigma Tuning and he put good Rods / Pistons, and Valve Springs in it. It was a long process with all the machining for the deck plate deal, shipping, waiting on parts ect. ect. I recieved the engine about a month ago and still haven't put it in. It's a great feeling having a new engine sitting here ready to go with the abuse I am putting the stock engine through. So I guess im making 2 points, it is smart to do a built engine, but the stock engine is a lot stronger then people think it is. Ive gone 123.87 mph in a 3740 lb street car with the stock engine. I say run your stock engine for a while even with the big turbo and start the process of getting a new engine now if you plan on running it real hard as that process takes time.

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
We are going 128 on the stock turbo and motor. We have won the 3 NMRA event's against big turbo / motor cars with less.

If you want to build the motor first, its only going to give you extra insurance.

Big turbo is not always the solution as well. Power is easy. Making it work properly is key.

Last edited:

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
We are going 128 on the stock turbo and motor. We have won the 3 NMRA against against big turbo / motor cars with less.

If you want to build the motor first, its only going to give you extra insurance.

Big turbo is not always the solution as well. Power is easy. Making it work properly is key.
This made me smile^^^

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
We are going 128 on the stock turbo and motor. We have won the 3 NMRA against against big turbo / motor cars with less.

How many miles do you have on that Super Fast EB? Is it a daily driver?

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
How many miles do you have on that Super Fast EB? Is it a daily driver?
about 5k miles. We have no problem driving it daily. Lund Racing has the tune dialed in perfectly. We were the first and only ones to put a stock turbo into the 10s.

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
about 5k miles. We have no problem driving it daily. Lund Racing has the tune dialed in perfectly. We were the first and only ones to put a stock turbo into the 10s.
I asked where it was at when you guys were at the mod nationals here in Memphis...so what was or is getting done to it :)

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I asked where it was at when you guys were at the mod nationals here in Memphis...so what was or is getting done to it :)

They didn't have a ecoboost class nor could we get the car out there for the event. Our trailer travels around the east coast from event to event so we do not leave it with it. She will be at Bowling Green for the Ecoboost Battle though :headbang:
Sponsored