Budget supercharger build for a daily?

17gt_charlotte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey guys, looking to get a supercharger kit and also trying to price out supporting mods. I’m 18 and so funds aren’t very readily available, but I’m working towards it. On track to get my SC kit this summer.

Anyways, the car is a manual 17 GT base model. It’s my daily, I am mainly looking for fun/cool sound/something good for the street. As of right now, I’m thinking about a whipple stage 2, but what are y’all’s opinions? I like the whipples and the idea of the power down low since the car is my daily, but I’m also not opposed to something like a Paxton, as I would like to install the kit myself and learn more about how they work throughout the process. Also the centris sound so cool, however I suppose the PD superchargers do as well haha. Any insight here would be greatly appreciated! I’d like to keep the cost of the supercharger kit at 7.5k or below.

For supporting mods, I’m thinking about some BMR suspension upgrades, as well as a new clutch and a pair of NT555 R2 tires for the rear end. I already have NT555 G2’s on a staggered setup, so I think the NT555 R2’s would be a good match for what I already have and also adequate street ability and traction. With this setup, I’m thinking maybe 650hp (?) (only supporting mods are borla atak catback and cat delete), would I need to upgrade my half shafts and driveshaft? I’m not looking to do any hard launches, so would the stock HS/DS be okay? Would I need to get OPG/CS?

Thank you everyone for your input.
Sponsored

Reactions: dps

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Unless you have $10k, don't even start...

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have one, but I read 10k is the rough figure people drop.

OP
OP
17gt_charlotte

17gt_charlotte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I definitely wouldn’t be able to drop 10k all at once, but the supercharger kit I would consider is max 7.5k, I have an uncle who has lots of knowledge about these types of things who could help if I got stuck at some point on the install. So I don’t need to factor in install costs. And with the supporting mods + cost of supercharger then I probably will be above 10k, but the only thing I am going to buy when I am ready for the supercharger is a new clutch, at least as of now.

Sponsored

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
17gt_charlotte

I can tell you with complete confidence, you are going to run into at least 2 other expenses once you go FI.

1) A good remote or dyno tune. Some can tunes are better than others, but the ultimate in something you will enjoy driving from idle to redline will need a tune.
2) Tires - no doubt. Even on a modest hp increase, you will have no traction under 50 mph if you are on stock or equivalent rubber.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you have $10k, don't even start...
Find a used complete used roush. Can usually be had on the cheap and you'll get like 580 or so RWHP.

OP
OP
17gt_charlotte

17gt_charlotte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Find a used complete used roush. Can usually be had on the cheap and you'll get like 580 or so RWHP.
What would I need to check for if I were to buy a used roush unit? I’m not too fond of the idea of buying a used supercharger unit but if heavily discounted then I suppose this is not a bad option.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What would I need to check for if I were to buy a used roush unit?
That's the risk you take on used units. but factory roush s/c are usually reliable AF. That said, Check that it spins freely and check the rotors for damage. Otherwise, New RTR centris can be had for under 8k.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Hey guys, looking to get a supercharger kit and also trying to price out supporting mods. I’m 18 and so funds aren’t very readily available, ..............
OP I would recommend you think about the part of your post that I quoted. You’re 18 and can’t afford to supercharge this car. I think it’s great that you are into cars at your age when it seems like most of your peers are dorks these days and have almost no interest in anything mechanical or powered by gasoline. But this car is your daily and you’re having to figure out how to fund a blower? What are you going to do if the motor pops 3 months later? Enjoy the car as is and don’t overextend yourself at a young age on a car. You have plenty of time ahead to throw money at hot rods. Just my 2 cents as someone that made the same types of mistakes at your age. Ended up walking to school and work more days than I want to admit with my car on jack stands and trying to scrape cash together in order to fix it after thinking I could afford mods lol.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
This is good advice. I was there once to like you. For me it was a new 86 Foxbody Gt. If your going to go down this road regardless, put a little aside for problems that will arise. And that being said, start with the supporting mods that the supercharger will need. Suspension, cooling, etc. Going fast really isn’t difficult to do these days, keeping it from spitt’n parts is another thing.

OP I would recommend you think about the part of your post that I quoted. You’re 18 and can’t afford to supercharge this car. I think it’s great that you are into cars at your age when it seems like most of your peers are dorks these days and have almost no interest in anything mechanical or powered by gasoline. But this car is your daily and you’re having to figure out how to fund a blower? What are you going to do if the motor pops 3 months later? Enjoy the car as is and don’t overextend yourself at a young age on a car. You have plenty of time ahead to throw money at hot rods. Just my 2 cents as someone that made the same types of mistakes at your age. Ended up walking to school and work more days than I want to admit with my car on jack stands and trying to scrape cash together in order to fix it after thinking I could afford mods lol.

Last edited:

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
This is good advice. I was there once to like you. For me it was a new 86 Foxbody Gt. If your going to go down this road regardless, put a little aside for problems that will arise. And that being said, start with the supporting mods that the supercharger will need. Suspension, cooling, etc. Going fast really isn’t difficult to do these days, keeping it from spitt’n parts is another thing.
100% agree. you can make all the power in the world but if you can't put it to the ground, then what's the point? get the suspension mods and tires so you can put that power down safely and reliably, then get a blower.

OP
OP
17gt_charlotte

17gt_charlotte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I will definitely keep this in mind. I was going to make a thread about this a while ago, but I suppose since I’ve already created one, which suspension mods would be recommended for a manual non-performance pack car? I have been thinking about buying BMR’s cradle bushing lockout kit, their vertical links, and their IRS subframe support brace. Are any of these parts overkill or am I missing a part that I should add? Once again, I don’t plan to take this car to the drag strip.
Sponsored