Budget 2018 twin turbo GT build--Under $5k including fuel upgrades

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Install yourself and you can keep it under 10k no problem. I had beefcake put a hellion package together with fueling and full borla exhaust for about 9.5k.
I've done all of my maintenance work since I was 14. I will give BC a try later this winter when I make a final decision. Thanks.
Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Turbos are what's costing the money in these kinds of builds, this is why singles are more "cost effective"

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Yep, its expensive to have people do your dirty work for you lol.

I don't have anywhere near $14k into my entire set up including my forged motor.
I just priced a decent kit on BC web site and the end total was$13,600. I also do 100% of my maintenance on all of vehicles. Shops are over $100 an hour. Yikes

OP
OP

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
I just priced a decent kit on BC web site and the end total was$13,600. I also do 100% of my maintenance on all of vehicles. Shops are over $100 an hour. Yikes
Terry (Beefcake) will give you a better price if you contact him in person.

Send him a text or call.... He's a decent guy. Ive bought 2 kits from him and the experience was always good -- Paxton 2200 for my 2014 Mustang, and also a TT kit for that same car about a year later.

Terry Beefcake: 513-478-1965

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Terry (Beefcake) will give you a better price if you contact him in person.

Send him a text or call.... He's a decent guy. Ive bought 2 kits from him and the experience was always good -- Paxton 2200 for my 2014 Mustang, and also a TT kit for that same car about a year later.

Terry Beefcake: 513-478-1965
Was the intercooler the kit came with no good? I seen you swaped it out rather quickly. Did you have to change out your a/c line like most kits ask to? Did you lose your front sway bar? If you were to have gone with comp turbos as the kit recommends, which exact ones would be best? Sorry for the 20 questions, you just seem to be the most knowledgeable guy to ask. I have the fab skills for the job, but know absolutely nothing about turbos & also on a tight budget.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Was the intercooler the kit came with no good? I seen you swaped it out rather quickly. Did you have to change out your a/c line like most kits ask to? Did you lose your front sway bar? If you were to have gone with comp turbos as the kit recommends, which exact ones would be best? Sorry for the 20 questions, you just seem to be the most knowledgeable guy to ask. I have the fab skills for the job, but know absolutely nothing about turbos & also on a tight budget.
Intercooler was fine and made 913whp on about 13 psi. I upgraded because the car was apart and figured why not.

I did not have to do anything at all to the A/C and it still works beautifully.

Front sway bar can stay and was on up until I installed the built motor. At that time, I installed a BMR K member which delete the sway bar. Ive noticed no ill effects from this change whatsoever.

As far as turbos, anything with a 62-66 mm turbine wheel along with a 60-67mm compressor wheel in a t4 frame will do just fine.

To be honest, id run the t67 turbos I have that are listed in this thread.. they are about $550 each and dual ceramic ball bearing, billet compressor wheels. Nice units actually!

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Intercooler was fine and made 913whp on about 13 psi. I upgraded because the car was apart and figured why not.

I did not have to do anything at all to the A/C and it still works beautifully.

Front sway bar can stay and was on up until I installed the built motor. At that time, I installed a BMR K member which delete the sway bar. Ive noticed no ill effects from this change whatsoever.

As far as turbos, anything with a 62-66 mm turbine wheel along with a 60-67mm compressor wheel in a t4 frame will do just fine.

To be honest, id run the t67 turbos I have that are listed in this thread.. they are about $550 each and dual ceramic ball bearing, billet compressor wheels. Nice units actually!
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I've done all of my maintenance work since I was 14. I will give BC a try later this winter when I make a final decision. Thanks.
Maintenance is one thing. Oil pump gears and a twin turbo setup is significantly more complicated. That said, you should be able to do it for $10k-ish, depending on what you want to do for a fuel system.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Maintenance is one thing. Oil pump gears and a twin turbo setup is significantly more complicated. That said, you should be able to do it for $10k-ish, depending on what you want to do for a fuel system.
That might be a possibility. BTW: I guess I should have said, build, repair, modify,, blue print motor cycle, car engines, suspension etc as well as 40 years repairing, rebuilding Aviation System related components and more which I will not elaborate on. Good Luck and thanks for your help.

cficare68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
No bad choices guys, to be honest. Those ESS kits seem like they're performing great.

This turbo kit I chose definitely requires one to have some decent mechanics and fabrication competency. Not a bolt on and go by any means.
I can attest to that. Especially installing this on a 10r80 car. ALOT of the kit had to be modified to work past the manifolds Installing this kit is a bit of a challenge. If you don't know or have some one that can fabricate and have a decent amount of mechincal knowledge then I would highly suggest not going this route.

Sponsored

cficare68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Install yourself and you can keep it under 10k no problem. I had beefcake put a hellion package together with fueling and full borla exhaust for about 9.5k.
I used this kit w/ Pulsar G35-900 (dual ceramic ball bearing) Turbos Turbosmart 45mm gates at current day prices it cost me around $5300 (lines and fittings included) with Radium Fuel housing w/ 525 primary 450 secondary and Fuel Rails, Fore FPr and Fc2 controller, Jegs Fuel Filter, Vibrant Lines and Fittiings, vaccum disturbution block, and G-Force III EBC it ran me another $2500. My car as active exhaust so I kept the Oem axle back but I did use a Corsa Double H pipe resonator delete which I got from Lethal for $595. So all and all I came in approximately $8400.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I used this kit w/ Pulsar G35-900 (dual ceramic ball bearing) Turbos Turbosmart 45mm gates at current day prices it cost me around $5300 (lines and fittings included) with Radium Fuel housing w/ 525 primary 450 secondary and Fuel Rails, Fore FPr and Fc2 controller, Jegs Fuel Filter, Vibrant Lines and Fittiings, vaccum disturbution block, and G-Force III EBC it ran me another $2500. My car as active exhaust so I kept the Oem axle back but I did use a Corsa Double H pipe resonator delete which I got from Lethal for $595. So all and all I came in approximately $8400.
you got any pix on how they fit. I'm still debating on the 1050 copies from pulsar.

cficare68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
you got any pix on how they fit. I'm still debating on the 1050 copies from pulsar.
I have a few from when we where doing the install. External dimensions between the G35-900 and G35-1050 should be identical. Typically, they machine the inside of the compressor housing to accept the bigger wheel and both turbos share the same hotside.

1668953364196.png

1668953393088.png

1668953425928.png

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a few from when we where doing the install. External dimensions between the G35-900 and G35-1050 should be identical. Typically, they machine the inside of the compressor housing to accept the bigger wheel and both turbos share the same hotside.

1668953364196.png

1668953393088.png

1668953425928.png
looks like they are comletely tucked since you have the steeda kmember (I'll probably be obtaining one as well). Looks like reverse would work well in my case, I have a two in one out intercooler and will be using custom charge piping.

Yes the G35-1050 and the G35-900 Identical in size.

I'll probably need ID1700X to go for 1300+ hp

cficare68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Turbos costs are up so... you can add a bunch of money real quick. I think OP had a few items already that he used.
I bought the hotside only, ~1600
Separate intercooler double in single out ~1700
Pulsar turbos ~1600
I'm looking into

looks like they are comletely tucked since you have the steeda kmember (I'll probably be obtaining one as well). Looks like reverse would work well in my case, I have a two in one out intercooler and will be using custom charge piping.
I think he already had the wastegates if I recall correctly, everything else was purchased from scratch. I highly recommend the aftermarket K-member. Opens up so much room to work on things, the Steeda is nice too because it has tabs to mount charge pipes on the hellion kits. I plan on eventually doing a 2 to 1 Fmic and redoing the piping on my kit just to simplify things and open up more room for my oil accumulation box that we had to build for the turbos. We did modify the piping from the original route Cx racing designed. Its a lot shorter and direct from the route they chose to take, but its still a pain to run the piping from the turbos to intercooler.
Sponsored