Budget 2018 twin turbo GT build--Under $5k including fuel upgrades

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Great numbers. Seems like the car was moving around on the dyno more than normal. I wonder if it was strapped down enough.
Sponsored

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Im very curious to see what you would have had with cleaner pulls. Fantastic build

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Made it to the dyno finally. Ran at several boost pressures... 6, 8, 11, and 13-14 psi
All on a ~$1800 short block.
For those that can swap a motor in a weekend; This is the cheapest power/$ route I can think of in off the shelf pony car.
Even if you kill 3 motors, you still spent less than a built block. Wtf you do with more power anyway? Cant hook it on street so only matters if you live at drag strip then you really need a full funny car anyway.
Yup. Ford FTW.
Good job btw and thanks for posting up info.
Strongly leaning this way for a build challenge.

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Was something wrong with the torque pick up?
My car is so loud the dyno couldn't pick up the wireless torque signal and the graph was blank too.

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
For those that can swap a motor in a weekend; This is the cheapest power/$ route I can think of in off the shelf pony car.
Even if you kill 3 motors, you still spent less than a built block. Wtf you do with more power anyway? Cant hook it on street so only matters if you live at drag strip then you really need a full funny car anyway.
Yup. Ford FTW.
Yep. Thinking of going that route myself. The intermittent knock is driving me nuts but Its to easy to order a short block and then swap everything over. Going to swap the clutch next weekend and then crank the boost up until the fuel system is maxed out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Yup. Ford FTW.
My plan is to grab one of those short blocks and slowly build it.

Add some pistons and rods and she would be good for a long long time.

EDIT: I also meant to say youre absolutely right about the street.. anything over WG spring pressure (6-7 psi in my case) is a waste of time and actually dangerous.

Last edited:

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Yep. Thinking of going that route myself. The intermittent knock is driving me nuts but Its to easy to order a short block and then swap everything over. Going to swap the clutch next weekend and then crank the boost up until the fuel system is maxed out.
When is knock showing up on your logs? What fuel and timing are you running? Do you think it is possibly false? I am getting a bit of random knock on my car with the hellion low mount kit on low timing, e85 and 8PSI max boost. I think it is false and it is driving me nuts.

OP
OP

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
When is knock showing up on your logs? What fuel and timing are you running? Do you think it is possibly false? I am getting a bit of random knock on my car with the hellion low mount kit on low timing, e85 and 8PSI max boost. I think it is false and it is driving me nuts.
From which sensor/s? The actual knock sensor, or the individual cylinder PIDs? Also who is tuning?

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
From which sensor/s? The actual knock sensor, or the individual cylinder PIDs? Also who is tuning?
Not really sure it just shows up as positive knock in logs on SCT. Lund is tuning it. In the past I have had issues with knock but it was something loose.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
New thread? please? This discussion could mangle ops (awesome) thread.
*This post will self delete in 3...2...
What who the fuck is this guy,the thread police!!!.Mine your own business,these two guys have been messaging through this whole thread.

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
@gimmie11s can you take a pic of your drain setup?
I remember you had the pump mounted low in the front, is that still how you have it done?

OP
OP

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
@gimmie11s can you take a pic of your drain setup?
I remember you had the pump mounted low in the front, is that still how you have it done?
Drain off the turbos? They are 90’s going into a -10AN Y.

The pump is mounted right under the horn on drivers side. Works excellent.

Let me know what you want to see and I’ll look for pics.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Drain off the turbos? They are 90’s going into a -10AN Y.

The pump is mounted right under the horn on drivers side. Works excellent.

Let me know what you want to see and I’ll look for pics.
Is it shielded from the water?

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The pump? Yeah, it’s protected by the bottom air dam that bolts to the front bumper cover.
NICE, i went back and read the part where you decided not to return the oil back to the filler cap. where did you end up returning it to?

Thanx in advance
Sponsored