Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Greetings.
I have a bone to pick with the OEM seats and seatbelt. I'm actually considering selling the car for this reason.
So I own the non Recaro premium seats. The problem is it puts me in a very high position. And I have it down to minimum. The seatbelt problem is that after 2-3 hours of driving, my left shoulders starts crying and wishes it just dies already. The belt pulls me down and it's hurting me.

I decided to try and fix this with some bucket seats and a harness. I don't plan on adding a harness bar. I saw a member adding a Schroth Quickfit harness and instead of using the designated mounting points in the back, he used the Isofix bolts under the cushion. I also saw another member using Corbeau bucket seats.

I have a few questions if anyone can help before I pull the trigger.

1) Considering Schroth Quickfit uses the rear seatbelt mounting points, but someone used the Isofix to do it, means I don't have to buy the Quickfit in order to fit a belt without harness bar, right? I want to buy Schroth Rallye ASM4 and use the same Isofix points and when someone needs to sit behind me, just detach the harness and use the stock belt.

2) I want to buy the harness first and see how it fares before buying seats. The Quickfit can be used with stock seats, so I guess Rallye can also, right? Just put the belt between the headrest pillars.

3) I'm considering Corbeau FX1 Pro or RRX(semi bucket seat). Do any of you have experiences with them? How much lower will my stance get if I use a bucket seat compared to the stock one?
Also if you have other comfy, but sporty recommendations, shoot away.

4) Bucket seats are not reclinable... I will use a sliding bracket for them, but will they slide forward enough so the back seat user can get in? I know it's a tough question, but maybe someone here had a coupe with bucket seats and tried it.

Thank you very much for the help.
Kind regards.
Sponsored

86merc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That is correct. If the harness rear mounting points are too low they could cause your spine to compress in an accident. I would check with Schroth to see if they address this. I have not looked into them at all. So I can not say if there are a good option or not. I know I saw a company that made kits that mounted to the child safety latches on the package tray to offer an option that addresses the issue of the rear belt attaching too low.

OP
OP
Lsstefan

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
I know Watson racing makes a really nice bolt-in harness bar, that's what we are planning on adding in the future

Nick C.
But if i add a harness bar, that means i won't be able to sit anyon in the back seat, right?
Or maybe buy them helmets :)))

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lsstefan

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
They could sit in the back seat, it just won't be as comfortable.

I'd rather have the correct, safe setup with harnesses vs. a compressed spine lol

Passengers barely fit in the back as is

Nick C.
Uhm me too of course, but won't they hit the bar with the head in case of brakes or impact?

86merc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The harness bar you show in the original post is a nice setup. It could easily be unbolted between track/autox events.

I have not checked out the Watson harness bar mentioned above. I had only seen the bolt in roll bar they offer. I will have to look into that as well.

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Uhm me too of course, but won't they hit the bar with the head in case of brakes or impact?
You should probably delete the rear seats lol, that's the best excuse not to have passengers back there

Nick C.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Ralley4 ASM and the stock bucket seats. Works pretty well to switch between the factory belt and the 4-point harness.

If you intend on switching to true racing seats (or the factory recaros) in the future, you may be better off the quick-fit type belt.

The way the Ralley4 ASM works is awesome for a seat with a single hole (like the space between the headrest supports, or some racing seats where the two shoulder seat-belt holes are connected with a slot. Without a connected hole for both shoulder belts the Ralley 4 ASM won't really convert back to a normal seatbelt because the rear connector to the back belts won't be able to be pulled back through the seat. I think the quickfit allows this, but its probably slower to convert as you have to fish more belt around.

As for daily use, I'm not a fan of a 4-point harness. I use mine for track events / autox or the rare occasional spirited drive. The factory 3-point belts are just so much quicker to get into. When the car is in 4-point mode, I keep the factory belt buckled in (routed behind the seat) so the airbag isn't disabled. When in factory belt mode, the Ralley4 ASM is mostly just a mess of belt fabric in the rear passenger footwell and a little bit of belt in the rear seat. Perfectly fine for my occasional passengers.

I don't have any issues with the rear belt connections to the child safety restraints. The angle is fine and even the Schroth diagram shows that exact arrangement. Its what the belt was designed for.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lsstefan

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
I have the Ralley4 ASM and the stock bucket seats. Works pretty well to switch between the factory belt and the 4-point harness.

If you intend on switching to true racing seats (or the factory recaros) in the future, you may be better off the quick-fit type belt.

The way the Ralley4 ASM works is awesome for a seat with a single hole (like the space between the headrest supports, or some racing seats where the two shoulder seat-belt holes are connected with a slot. Without a connected hole for both shoulder belts the Ralley 4 ASM won't really convert back to a normal seatbelt because the rear connector to the back belts won't be able to be pulled back through the seat. I think the quickfit allows this, but its probably slower to convert as you have to fish more belt around.

As for daily use, I'm not a fan of a 4-point harness. I use mine for track events / autox or the rare occasional spirited drive. The factory 3-point belts are just so much quicker to get into. When the car is in 4-point mode, I keep the factory belt buckled in (routed behind the seat) so the airbag isn't disabled. When in factory belt mode, the Ralley4 ASM is mostly just a mess of belt fabric in the rear passenger footwell and a little bit of belt in the rear seat. Perfectly fine for my occasional passengers.

I don't have any issues with the rear belt connections to the child safety restraints. The angle is fine and even the Schroth diagram shows that exact arrangement. Its what the belt was designed for.
Can you please post a few pictures of the setup?

I don't mind using the regulat belt for town driving, but when I cruise for 3-4 hours, it's killing me. So I could use the 4pt when driving for a long time and the 3pt during grocery runs.

Regarding the conversion back to 3pt, can't I just unhook the 4pt from the middle and just let it hand behind the seat? The main part of the harness I'll throw it to each side of the seat while using the 3pt seatbelt. I'll prolly have some wiggling of the harness during the driving, but it shouldn't be much disturbance.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
If stock seats / belt are killing you during 2-3 hour drive, are you really sure you want to sit in a bucket seat pinned down by a harness - which will be infinitely less comfortable ??

And harness does not retract, you have adjust it tight every single time you get into the car....

OP
OP
Lsstefan

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
If stock seats / belt are killing you during 2-3 hour drive, are you really sure you want to sit in a bucket seat pinned down by a harness - which will be infinitely less comfortable ??

And harness does not retract, you have adjust it tight every single time you get into the car....
Hmm I always imagined bucket seats to be more comfy and snug. I have a friend who just bought some Sparco Evos, I'll sit in them to see how they are.
My problem with the belt is the fact that it presses on one shoulder only. I assume the harness will be adjusted tight, but to my limits, not to annoy me.

Of course, I'm talking out of my a** atm, I never tested either... I'll test some before buying. Thanks for the tips.

Have you considered just getting a seat belt pad?

Seems like a good idea if they are giving you that much discomfort

Nick C.
I thought of it(even some belt extenders), but it's the thrill of modifying the car also :D

Thank you for all the help guys.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Can you please post a few pictures of the setup?

I don't mind using the regulat belt for town driving, but when I cruise for 3-4 hours, it's killing me. So I could use the 4pt when driving for a long time and the 3pt during grocery runs.

Regarding the conversion back to 3pt, can't I just unhook the 4pt from the middle and just let it hand behind the seat? The main part of the harness I'll throw it to each side of the seat while using the 3pt seatbelt. I'll prolly have some wiggling of the harness during the driving, but it shouldn't be much disturbance.
There are some pictures if you lookup the thread in the track driving section. Lots more info on installation there too.

You'll probably be more satisfied if you can completely stow the harness behind the seats, instead of trying to drape it out of the way with the middle connector still pinned behind the seat (again, this is only a problem if you're using a seat with two separate strap holes, otherwise the Ralley 4 ASM works great).

Honestly I'm having a hard time seeing how the 4-point is going to be more comfortable than the factory 3-point on the shoulder. I'd get a shoulder pad first, and definitely try to get some time in a car with harnesses to see if you really do like them. I find them less comfortable, but they do their job of keeping me pinned down very well.
Sponsored