OP

Vasbinder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walter
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I used my needle nose pliers for the most part and a pocket knife to get the bottom piece out. It seemed like the oring was holding it on. I used a lite coat of Dow Corning grease on both prints on the new one. It went on smooth
Orings, not prints
Sponsored

15mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I just came back from the Ford dealer, they took it out in pieces, little plastic piece by little plastic piece. They struggled quite a bit with pliers, a screw driver and a hook...anyway, the guys were awesome and very willing to help, he told me next time it starts to get a little hard to put a little bit of lubricant in the o rings. wow...what the hell man? I've never seen this happen to a new car before.
The easiest way I found to remove the broken half was to superglue (yes superglue) the top of the cap to the broken bottom half. Just be careful you don't super glue it to the reservoir. With superglue you'll be able to pull it right out, without risking broken plastic in the antifreeze.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
The easiest way I found to remove the broken half was to superglue (yes superglue) the top of the cap to the broken bottom half. Just be careful you don't super glue it to the reservoir. With superglue you'll be able to pull it right out, without risking broken plastic in the antifreeze.
This thread is 3+ years old, yes?

I think his problem is fixed.

15mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Did the problem go away because mine just broke. And no one said try super glue. So when the next one breaks, which it will, the next person will have the answer. This is a common problem.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This thread is 3+ years old, yes?

I think his problem is fixed.
Granted the age of the thread - but @15mustang posted a solution to an existing problem... and his solution works to remove the broken cap - without it disintegrating into the coolant bottle. It's a great idea and his post will help others.

There was a few threads on here about the coolant bottle cap breaking apart when trying to remove it.
Sponsored