Sponsored

Brembo Cold weather performance

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Does anyone else have less initial bite with the brembos in cold weather below 20F?

I notice if I haven't used the brakes in a bit, like when coming off the highway, the initial bite is lower. I assume this is just because the pads/rotors need a bit of heat in them.
Sponsored

Eisman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang.... Duhhhh
I took my Mustang to work today because my wife needed the SUV. It's -21degC here today. I'm using 255/40R19 Hankook Winter tires on my PP wheels. I didn't notice a big problem with the braking performance. If anything, the tires were the limiting factor. I also wasn't pushing things too hard, as the pavement is super cold. From my experience on the track in the summertime though, our Brembos do perform much better once they have some heat built up in the rotors and calipers.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Everything works better once it's up to temp.

When it's below 20 we don't go outside. ;)

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Cute. 20 is shorts weather (really). Try *minus* 50.
Minus 50 is stupid. You should move. It was 22F here this morning and I debated going to work or not.

Sponsored

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Really hard to leave behind these big ol' French-Canadian farm families (my wife and I have over 25 aunts and uncles).

But yeah it gets cold over here. No one really leaves the house unless they have to when it goes lower than -40C. Alternators, in particular, are the things that I notice failing in that kind of cold.

You get used to it until about -35C'ish and then it just gets unpleasant.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
25 aunts and uncles...I guess I know what yall do up there when it gets cold....

OP to answer your question I have very hard initial bite when it gets cold on the very first time I apply the brakes. After that it is less.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
Last couple of days AM temps have been in the teens ambient. I've not noticed any difference with initial brake bite than before when temps were warmer. However, the tires have a bit more trouble with grip. And as stated, the brakes and tires work better with some heat.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
ugh i'm whining at the -12'c i saw on the temp display the other night where i am from and then i read this... i should dig out my shorts?

but back on topic... -12'c is the lowest i've gotten and i'm not feeling any difference either, but i am traveling at much lower speeds because of snow/ice.

Sponsored

Sooty M.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP - Guard W/Black OTTS
I've noticed less initial bite. Not sure if it's more a function of the cold or the snow and slush though. Should be below zero tomorrow, will see how that feels.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Does anyone else have less initial bite with the brembos in cold weather below 20F?

I notice if I haven't used the brakes in a bit, like when coming off the highway, the initial bite is lower. I assume this is just because the pads/rotors need a bit of heat in them.
Always be sure to do a hard stop after you roll the car in the morning! My brembos froze multiple times, especially when there is ice and snow. The clearance between the pads and rotors is too small and ice layer can build up. You have to do a hard bite in the beginning to break the ice.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
First time when i drove the car on snow in December 2014, i was leaving work, the car sits outside at the parking lot at work. While coming to a stop to merge on the main road i applied the brakes as usual, but they didn't have enough bite and almost caused a huge disaster. I hit the brakes so hard and heard a shattering noise, it was not the abs but the ice on the rotors!
Sponsored