Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
This was a cool video... but as he states normal vs. abnormal conditions, big brakes will perform better.... aka street vs track... and if I was driving solely on the street this would be a waste of money.
These would be a waste on the track too...
National title winning S550's are on factory rear calipers.
Hell, the AP Racing kit is less than these Brembos.

https://www.essexparts.com/essex-designed-ap-racing-competition-brake-kit-rear-cp5040340mm-s550

Here; half the price and WAY better quality
Sponsored

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
I too like symmetry, which is why I wouldn't go with the Wilwood option... but $5000 for symmetry alone... probably not.
that's always for each to decide. which is why when I get my next GT it likely will not be a PP model, cuz I like doing the mods and stuff and mine's not a daily driver, it's a toy. so fun with brakes and suspension, wheels and paint, HP stuff and etc. but that's everyone else's decision to make. one of the great things about mustangs is that there are so many ways to customize it to your liking. was the same way back in the 90's when i had my fox

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Check with the GT4 guys (Kohr, Ozark Team maybe Phoenix but actually never seen it on Phoenix cars but they may know)

Steeda will be no help, nor will most people on this Forum as it’s just not a popular mod unless you’re Endurance Racing (4hours+)

OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
that's always for each to decide. which is why when I get my next GT it likely will not be a PP model, cuz I like doing the mods and stuff and mine's not a daily driver, it's a toy. so fun with brakes and suspension, wheels and paint, HP stuff and etc. but that's everyone else's decision to make. one of the great things about mustangs is that there are so many ways to customize it to your liking. was the same way back in the 90's when i had my fox
"Mods" amen. Too many to count.

Mine isn't a daily driver either, it one of many toys...

OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1

Sponsored

OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Check with the GT4 guys (Kohr, Ozark Team maybe Phoenix but actually never seen it on Phoenix cars but they may know)

Steeda will be no help, nor will most people on this Forum as it’s just not a popular mod unless you’re Endurance Racing (4hours+)
Nice, nice, nice... appreciate advice. THX!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
For all you GT350 and GT500 owners... I have a ~14" rotor single piston floating caliper brake setup I'll give you... you'll save unsprung weight, rotating mass and they will perform as good if not better then your current set up... all you have to do is get better pads. Any takers?

Putting aside what I think I need vs. what I really need... are you really hanging your hat on stock S550 brakes will ever perform as good as GT350/GT500 rear brakes. Really? I mean the extremes in an argument tend to be the tell on what's real and what is bullshit. I may need something in between stock and a $5k kit, but don't give me some bullshit about pads being the equalizer. Or big brakes aren't better!
Yeah, I can brake just as well around a track as a GT350 or GT500, despite the nicer looking parts. I've been on track (20 minute sessions) with both 350s and 500s, have you? Do they outbrake a GT, not when you put the same tires on all of them, and outfit all the cars with decent pads and fluid. To do that lap after lap you do have to address cooling on the front brakes, but IMHO the rears do fine. Maybe if you're endurance racing... I doubt you're doing that tho.

You do realize its mostly tires and then brake fluid and pads choice, and THEN thermal capacity on the front brakes. The rears are not a 'weak link' unless you mess up the wrong pad choice on the back with too much pad (relative to the front), or a pad with too little heat tolerance. Vorshlag did that by accident one time. They put GLOC R12s on the front AND rear and braking distance increased. R12/R10 is a known good combo that keeps the front/rear bias correct for optimial braking.

Are the GT350 brakes (Front and rear) "nicer" than the GTs? Sure they are nice parts. I have complaints about maintaining the seals on the single piston rears over many track sessions ... but can I generate the full braking forces I need on demand when combined with known good track pads? You betcha.

Brakes are not magical and you can't judge a book by it's cover.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I had AP brakes on my race bike... freaking outstanding stuff.

I know a couple guys that have used Wilwood and Baer brakes and they have loved them. IMHO, if you're not on the track really pushing the limits the biggest reason to get big rear brakes for a street car is to match the brembo's on the front. the stock PP1 rear brakes work just fine, they're just ugly. it's not beneath me to do something for looks as long as they are functionally excellent as well. if I could get a ford factory PP1 matching rear brembo kit I'd do it. haven't heard of one without going to the full GT350 kit or something like that, which I'm not beneath doing for looks as well. :p

ya, sometimes I'm shallow like that. I like the symmetry of four corner matching brakes, be they brembo, baer, wilwood, or AP Racing, they are all gonna WHOA that horse just fine and look good doing it. just my uninformed .02 worth :p
There is nothing wrong doing something for look, as long that you don’t pretend or believe that it is for performance
The OP seems to want the big brake kit to add “performance “ to the rear and everyone that knows how a braking system work are telling him that it would be both a mistake and waste of money
It’s his car and his money therefore he can do whatever he want but no one on this forum is going to agree with him that it’s a performance enhancement or simply needed with the pp1 system

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
Z26 front and rear.
I think I found your problem. But if you want to spend money you don't need to, go right ahead.

Not sure I'd spend that kind of money to solve a problem that just different pads would fix.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'm going to chime in....

Z26 are street pads and have no place on track. Change pads to a track pad and install 2 piece rotors, your fade will go away.

Now if like another posted, you are endurance racing then the bigger set up might be an improvement. 5K for looks plus you will need to add an adjustable bias block or you will lock the rears everytime you get aggressive on the brakes.

I get you on the looks, the stock rears are fugly compared to the front.

Sorry no help on fitment.

Sponsored
OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Yeah, I can brake just as well around a track as a GT350 or GT500, despite the nicer looking parts. I've been on track (20 minute sessions) with both 350s and 500s, have you? Do they outbrake a GT, not when you put the same tires on all of them, and outfit all the cars with decent pads and fluid. To do that lap after lap you do have to address cooling on the front brakes, but IMHO the rears do fine. Maybe if you're endurance racing... I doubt you're doing that tho.

You do realize its mostly tires and then brake fluid and pads choice, and THEN thermal capacity on the front brakes. The rears are not a 'weak link' unless you mess up the wrong pad choice on the back with too much pad (relative to the front), or a pad with too little heat tolerance. Vorshlag did that by accident one time. They put GLOC R12s on the front AND rear and braking distance increased. R12/R10 is a known good combo that keeps the front/rear bias correct for optimial braking.

Are the GT350 brakes (Front and rear) "nicer" than the GTs? Sure they are nice parts. I have complaints about maintaining the seals on the single piston rears over many track sessions ... but can I generate the full braking forces I need on demand when combined with known good track pads? You betcha.

Brakes are not magical and you can't judge a book by it's cover.
In a straight line stop with equal tire set ups... the GT500 wins the braking contest over the Mach 1 HP... it's out there on the internet and not hard to find... I am pretty sure the 2019 GT350 does too

The Camaro SS 1LE with brembos on all for corners and smaller tires (front/back) stops better than the Mach 1 HP... yes the 1LE weighs less (~80lbs)

of course these are straight line stops and not sustained track braking where stock S550 rear brakes fade faster

Do you even know what "IMHO" opinion means.

You take a stock Shelby 350 or 500 and a stock PP2... a single 20 minute session each, with the same driver and there isn't a chance in hell the PP2 brakes will perform as good as the squared brembos (insert AP, etc...) over the course of 20 minutes.

And yes, I've been on the track with semi pro drivers they brake later and harder over the course of 20 minutes then my stock S550 rear brake can - CAUSE they fade. I even let one of those semi pro drivers take it for a spin and the verdict was, "hey man there some brake fade there"...

So I asked him a simple question, " what do you think I should do" and you know what he said, "go post it on the 6g forum and when you get tired of the stupid fuckers with their stupid fucking answers come back and ask me again."

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
The OP said he tried the GT 350 kit but they won't clear the front because of the magnaride knuckles. He then stated that the shelby knuckles are ~700 each. It would be 4K cheaper to just buy the shelby knuckles and use the 350 kit, unless he sold the 350 setup. If he said that he did, then I missed it.

By using the 350 kit he gets what he wants and it will be cheaper than the rear brembo kit for 5400.

OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I'm going to chime in....

Z26 are street pads and have no place on track. Change pads to a track pad and install 2 piece rotors, your fade will go away.

Now if like another posted, you are endurance racing then the bigger set up might be an improvement. 5K for looks plus you will need to add an adjustable bias block or you will lock the rears everytime you get aggressive on the brakes.

I get you on the looks, the stock rears are fugly compared to the front.

Sorry no help on fitment.
I have considered the 2 piece rotors, but that is almost $2K for a square set up... I am more concerned with that being a $2K mistake over the Brembo's $5K.

If the S550 rear brakes are so good with a simple fluid and pad change, why are they not on the 350 or 500... because Brembo's simply looks better or so that Ford can charge more $$$...

This car is a toy that sees mostly track time, everything thing I do to this car is for sustained track performance.

Not directed at you K4fxd... I asked a fitment question and holy shit the dickheads come out...

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
This car is a toy that sees mostly track time, everything thing I do to this car is for sustained track performance.
The biggest issue with the one pot rear set up is the rotor is reversed cooled. At least that is the way my car was. When I went 2 piece on all 4 corners the fade went away.

OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
The OP said he tried the GT 350 kit but they won't clear the front because of the magnaride knuckles. He then stated that the shelby knuckles are ~700 each. It would be 4K cheaper to just buy the shelby knuckles and use the 350 kit, unless he sold the 350 setup. If he said that he did, then I missed it.

By using the 350 kit he gets what he wants and it will be cheaper than the rear brembo kit for 5400.
I was so pissed at AM that I sent the 350 brake kit back... but you are absolutely correct and I am seriously considering a reorder and purchase the knuckles.

Of course that will be a bit more than the rear Brembo kit, but it's worth it to know it will fit.

After the install I'll invite some of these forum clowns to a track day w/back to back sessions, just enough time to gas up... and we'll see who's brakes last longer... squared Brembo's vs. stock s550 calipers... rotors, pads and fluid of you choosing... I'll do the same ....put some money on it.
Sponsored