Brembo 15" on the rear

OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Fix your brake pads selection then. Surface area doesn’t help brakes like it does tires. All your getting is more thermal mass. Higher temp pads get the same result for less than 10% of the cost

That looks like the worst way to spend $5k on a mustang that I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been active here for 7 years.
I am not sure why I need to justify why I want to buy better brakes... when simply looking for fitment experience...

But here I go... there are no pads that will improve braking for a single piston floating caliper ~14" rotor , to the performance of a 4 piston fixed caliper 15" rotor with more surface area... NONE...
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
So you can feel a bit of fade from the rear… but not from the front?
Can you explain how do you come to this conclusion?
Even if true, and I really doubt it, it’s an issue that can easily be solved with a different/correct rear pads
seriously...! is this a graded assignment...?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I am not sure why I need to justify why I want to buy better brakes... when simply looking for fitment experience...
seriously...! is this a graded assignment...?
We're just trying to save you $4800 by accomplishing what you need with different measures.

If you want to spend $5000 to marginally "improve" braking and do absolutely nothing for your brake fade issues, go right ahead. But we're trying to save you the money and our hassle of having to see yet another thread in a few months titled "I spent all this money on my brakes and I still get fade".

OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
We're just trying to save you $4800 by accomplishing what you need with different measures.

If you want to spend $5000 to marginally "improve" braking and do absolutely nothing for your brake fade issues, go right ahead. But we're trying to save you the money and our hassle of having to see yet another thread in a few months titled "I spent all this money on my brakes and I still get fade".
$5,400 is certainly excessive.... Q is, will I get $5,400 worth of braking when I could've went Wilwood for half... the problem is I have brembos on the fronts already. And I've already gone down the GT350R Kit route this past summer... they don't fit the magnaride (2018+) front knuckles.... Shelby knuckles are $700 per (L & R). And no pad will improve stock S550 rear brakes to Brembo 15" 4 piston.... yada yada yada.

I have been working through this value prop issue for 18 mons...

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

But here I go... there are no pads that will improve braking for a single piston floating caliper ~14" rotor , to the performance of a 4 piston fixed caliper 15" rotor with more surface area... NONE...
You can install those brakes, but then you'll just have to have a way to turn down the bias until they perform just like the single piston stock caliper or the bias will be off and all you're going to do is lock up the rear brakes and underperform a stock mustang's braking distance.

Here's a video on what bigger brakes are good for -

I personally run 305 RE71R/ 315 RT660s on tracks very hard and have threshold braked down from speeds up to 140 at CotA and other tracks reliably w/o fade with just that little single piston caliper in back, but with good GLOC track pads and Motul 660 fluid, so I'm not just giving you my opinion in theory. I've glazed pads, boiled fluid, overheated tires, triggered ABS, and run out of vacuum boost on track and know what all of those things feel like to drive. (boiled fluid is not fun!)

The rears are correctly sized for the fronts, and you can fine tune the brake bias with pads alone. Caliper and rotor size don't do what you think they do (see the linked video for a better explanation of friction between the pad and rotor). If you're asking about braking performance and looking at calipers and rotors that size for the rear, I'm chiming in because I'm worried you're about to make a $5000 mistake and am trying to help you avoid that, that's all.

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I don’t have much knowledge to add other than what’s been said. You seem to already know what you want. I haven’t seen anybody go with those brakes. Outside of the OEM brembo brakes, the only other brake kit I’ve seen people use is the AP racing kit.

I am just curious though, I must’ve missed it, but what are you trying to achieve ? You have people competing at the National level in Time Trials and Super Touring with the OEM PP kit. Only brake upgrades done were pads, rotors and cooling.

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
I don’t have much knowledge to add other than what’s been said. You seem to already know what you want. I haven’t seen anybody go with those brakes. Outside of the OEM brembo brakes, the only other brake kit I’ve seen people use is the AP racing kit.

I am just curious though, I must’ve missed it, but what are you trying to achieve ? You have people competing at the National level in Time Trials and Super Touring with the OEM PP kit. Only brake upgrades done were pads, rotors and cooling.
I had AP brakes on my race bike... freaking outstanding stuff.

I know a couple guys that have used Wilwood and Baer brakes and they have loved them. IMHO, if you're not on the track really pushing the limits the biggest reason to get big rear brakes for a street car is to match the brembo's on the front. the stock PP1 rear brakes work just fine, they're just ugly. it's not beneath me to do something for looks as long as they are functionally excellent as well. if I could get a ford factory PP1 matching rear brembo kit I'd do it. haven't heard of one without going to the full GT350 kit or something like that, which I'm not beneath doing for looks as well. :p

ya, sometimes I'm shallow like that. I like the symmetry of four corner matching brakes, be they brembo, baer, wilwood, or AP Racing, they are all gonna WHOA that horse just fine and look good doing it. just my uninformed .02 worth :p

OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
You can install those brakes, but then you'll just have to have a way to turn down the bias until they perform just like the single piston stock caliper or the bias will be off and all you're going to do is lock up the rear brakes and underperform a stock mustang's braking distance.

Here's a video on what bigger brakes are good for -

I personally run 305 RE71R/ 315 RT660s on tracks very hard and have threshold braked down from speeds up to 140 at CotA and other tracks reliably w/o fade with just that little single piston caliper in back, but with good GLOC track pads and Motul 660 fluid, so I'm not just giving you my opinion in theory. I've glazed pads, boiled fluid, overheated tires, triggered ABS, and run out of vacuum boost on track and know what all of those things feel like to drive. (boiled fluid is not fun!)

The rears are correctly sized for the fronts, and you can fine tune the brake bias with pads alone. Caliper and rotor don't do what you think they do (see the linked video for a better explanation of friction between the pad and rotor). If you're asking about braking performance and looking at calipers and rotors that size for the rear, I'm chiming in because I'm worried you're about to make a $5000 mistake and am trying to help you avoid that, that's all.
This was a cool video... but as he states normal vs. abnormal conditions, big brakes will perform better.... aka street vs track... and if I was driving solely on the street this would be a waste of money.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

I know a couple guys that have used Wilwood and Baer brakes and they have loved them. IMHO, if you're not on the track really pushing the limits the biggest reason to get big rear brakes for a street car is to match the brembo's on the front. the stock PP1 rear brakes work just fine, they're just ugly. it's not beneath me to do something for looks as long as they are functionally excellent as well. if I could get a ford factory PP1 matching rear brembo kit I'd do it. haven't heard of one without going to the full GT350 kit or something like that, which I'm not beneath doing for looks as well. :p

ya, sometimes I'm shallow like that. I like the symmetry of four corner matching brakes, be they brembo, baer, wilwood, or AP Racing, they are all gonna WHOA that horse just fine and look good doing it. just my uninformed .02 worth :p
Yea AP brakes is what is used on the FP350S so I’m sure there are top tier. I completely understand the aesthetic of having matching rear calipers. At the end of the day, I think no matter the purpose, we all do things to our cars that we feel enhances the looks. It’s just the matter of how much are you willing to spend for the change. As mentioned by others if the OP doesn’t mind spending 5k on just the rears and they are compatible with the car then have at it. The OP mentioned braking performance so he/she got feedback related to that.

But again, people at the national competition level are running the same set up so what does the OP need exactly from the brakes? Is it possible that it’s set up or driver error?

OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1

I too like symmetry, which is why I wouldn't go with the Wilwood option... but $5000 for symmetry alone... probably not.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
This was a cool video... but as he states normal vs. abnormal conditions, big brakes will perform better.... aka street vs track... and if I was driving solely on the street this would be a waste of money.
:facepalm:

OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Yea AP brakes is what is used on the FP350S so I’m sure there are top tier. I completely understand the aesthetic of having matching rear calipers. At the end of the day, I think no matter the purpose, we all do things to our cars that we feel enhances the looks. It’s just the matter of how much are you willing to spend for the change. As mentioned by others if the OP doesn’t mind spending 5k on just the rears and they are compatible with the car then have at it. The OP mentioned braking performance so he/she got feedback related to that.

But again, people at the national competition level are running the same set up so what does the OP need exactly from the brakes? Is it possible that it’s set up or driver error?
All the OP (he) really needs is someone that has experience with fitment to weigh-in on how they actually fit... The OP searched for installation videos on Utube with no luck. And while the OP may have problems with the factory rear S550 brakes, it is certainly possible that the Brembo kit will be a bit overkill. Probably similar to the obnoxiously loud (overkill) exhaust the OP has.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
All the OP (he) really needs is someone that has experience with fitment to weigh-in on how they actually fit... The OP searched for installation videos on Utube with no luck. And while the OP may have problems with the factory rear S550 brakes, it is certainly possible that the Brembo kit will be a bit overkill. Probably similar to the obnoxiously loud (overkill) exhaust the OP has.
I see… may want to contact Kohr then. They may have an idea or PAE.

Also you get more compliments on exhaust than brakes 😁

Good luck on finding the answer

OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
For all you GT350 and GT500 owners... I have a ~14" rotor single piston floating caliper brake setup I'll give you... you'll save unsprung weight, rotating mass and they will perform as good if not better then your current set up... all you have to do is get better pads. Any takers?

Putting aside what I think I need vs. what I really need... are you really hanging your hat on stock S550 brakes will ever perform as good as GT350/GT500 rear brakes. Really? I mean the extremes in an argument tend to be the tell on what's real and what is bullshit. I may need something in between stock and a $5k kit, but don't give me some bullshit about pads being the equalizer. Or big brakes aren't better!

OP
OP

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I see… may want to contact Kohr then. They may have an idea or PAE.

Also you get more compliments on exhaust than brakes 😁

Good luck on finding the answer
Hey Biggsy... thanks for not assuming you know me, asking me to explain why I need something, trying to make me justify through insults or trying to show how smart you are and by correlation how stupid you think I am.

I get it, some people want to live larger than their actual life and the only way to do that is to be an internet mother/father to everyone that comes along.

I tire easy of drama queens... I simply want to know if there is someone out there that has fitment experience with this brake kit.

Again Thanks Biggys
Sponsored

Last edited: