Sponsored

BREITLING, ROLEX, TUDOR, OMEGA, anybody into high end watches?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
What is that?
I haven't decided which model yet, and I really don't need another watch, but my wife would say they were like handbags for me. lol, she may have been correct.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What is that?
I haven't decided which model yet, and I really don't need another watch, but my wife would say they were like handbags for me. lol, she may have been correct.
WIS
Abbreviation of “watch idiot savant”—a term used by watch nerds to refer to themselves in all kinds of watch forums.

The typical way to determine if somebody is a WIS, is by loudly proclaiming that you are about to buy a <INSERT FASHION BRAND HERE> QUARTZ watch. A real WIS will furiously interrupt you, only to teach you three essential things:
1. <FASHION BRAND> is not a real watch brand. WIS will narrate a 20 minute story of horology and how the only watches actually worth buying are from Switzerland, Germany, or Japan.
2. Only mechanical watches are real watches—screw quartz! If you don't need to routinely adjust the time on your watch, you're not appreciating it's heritage.
3. WIS will advise you to start with a Seiko 5, now that you decided to start collecting watches …
IMHO, Tudor is a more understated choice than Rolex: You won't get envious views from your non-WIS co-workers when you're desk diving wearing a Pelagos.

You need to go here.......
https://forums.watchuseek.com/search.php?searchid=157168029

As far as the GSARS's, presuming your not going to spend the cash on the Valjoux 7750, go with any of the ETA 2824-2's More $$$ but better than the SW200's. See now you know what a WIS is. :like:

And by the way your wife is 100% spot on. Nobody "NEEDS" another watch. Never stopped any of us in the past. :cwl::crackup:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WIS
Abbreviation of “watch idiot savant”—a term used by watch nerds to refer to themselves in all kinds of watch forums.

The typical way to determine if somebody is a WIS, is by loudly proclaiming that you are about to buy a <INSERT FASHION BRAND HERE> QUARTZ watch. A real WIS will furiously interrupt you, only to teach you three essential things:
1. <FASHION BRAND> is not a real watch brand. WIS will narrate a 20 minute story of horology and how the only watches actually worth buying are from Switzerland, Germany, or Japan.
2. Only mechanical watches are real watches—screw quartz! If you don't need to routinely adjust the time on your watch, you're not appreciating it's heritage.
3. WIS will advise you to start with a Seiko 5, now that you decided to start collecting watches …
IMHO, Tudor is a more understated choice than Rolex: You won't get envious views from your non-WIS co-workers when you're desk diving wearing a Pelagos.

You need to go here.......
https://forums.watchuseek.com/search.php?searchid=157168029

As far as the GSARS's, presuming your not going to spend the cash on the Valjoux 7750, go with any of the ETA 2824-2's More $$$ but better than the SW200's. See now you know what a WIS is. :like:

And by the way your wife is 100% spot on. Nobody "NEEDS" another watch. Never stopped any of us in the past. :cwl::crackup:
Question, from a practical perspective, if the watch is as accurate and reliable as one can expect, then why would anyone pay more because of the movement?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Question, from a practical perspective, if the watch is as accurate and reliable as one can expect, then why would anyone pay more because of the movement?
The word practical is not in the Horology dictionary. If you want the utmost in accuracy buy a quartz Timex or Swatch (really). In terms of mechanical movements, either hand wound or semi-automatic we are talking about precision and sophistication. Here's a couple of good starters for you.

https://www.tourneau.com/watch-education/watch-movements.html

To some us this is a work of art.

upload_2020-5-30_11-24-26.jpeg

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Did anyone catch what watches the Astronauts were wearing for the Space X launch? From the in-cabin video feed, you could clearly make out they were wearing watches on the exterior of the suit. My best guess would be Omega, just cuz.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't worry about it. Those people are in space.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Aahhh, good find. I also couldn’t tell from any footage during the launch if Hurley was also wearing one. They only mentioned Behnken.

And I wouldn’t buy lottery tickets off this one call. Just playing the odds with the Omega call. Seemed completely logical given the heritage. I even think I woulda been slightly disappointed had it been something else.

Sponsored

Horseplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 401A Magne-Ride Recaro show stopper red
Did anyone catch what watches the Astronauts were wearing for the Space X launch? From the in-cabin video feed, you could clearly make out they were wearing watches on the exterior of the suit. My best guess would be Omega, just cuz.
C6365B65-7A5E-4FE7-AEA4-8EEDAF97636D.jpeg
BEAF4829-FBEA-41CB-B3AE-42C757A4421C.jpeg

Omega X-33

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@Bikeman315 LOL...that was pretty good Ira. Enjoyed that post. I'm surprised I'm not on any watch forums yet. Probably should. I'm sure there's some good reading. The only thing I've been reeeaalllyyyy intrigued and curious about is my Breitling B50. It's one of 100. I'd be super curious to get on a forum and track down other owners.

E6CD1DF4-F94B-4E34-B905-1B87C9F56FFA.jpeg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I do some work for Richemont NA. They import Cartier, Paiget, Panarai, Monblanc, IWC and many more. They have some expensive watches that equal some people retirements.

Me, I have a Watch Dog.
Sponsored