Sponsored

BREAKING: 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Confirmed as the Most Track Capable 5.0L V8 Mustang Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
Why can't it just take the Bullitt slot... price wise? Is the bullitt sticking around?
Sponsored

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 2, 2004 Porsche Boxster S
because Ford Marketing is a bunch of ass-hat wankers who will neuter anything and everything.
Both the PP2 and purported Mach1 should have had the GT350 brakes and all necessary coolers. But Marketing in their infinite stupidity thought that would rob GT350 of sales which is an asinine position. Anyone considering a 65,000 car doesn't give a shite about what the 45-50,000 car segment is doing. And anyone whose budget runs out at 50k isn't going to suddenly come up with another 15 grand.

I don't see a point in having much in the way of options on a Mach1. Like the Bullitt it'll probably be choice of trans (come on Tremec), choice of seat, and choice of California-style spoiler or '19+ swing. PP1 brakes standard. If you want GT350, dish out for the FRPP retrofit kit separately, though it would be nice if there was a factory-installed option. Probably 4 color choices (orange+black, black+orange, lime or gotta green, fire red though maybe a medium blue) and a throw-back sticker set to mimic blacked out/NASA hood. 19" wheels in same pattern as current Bullitt but in 2-tone silver instead of black, and probably EB/HPP or PP2 wheels in anthracite and one the current "premium" trim 20" in a silver. Digital dash option for 2 grand (likely baked into the A10 option, extra cost for M6) to placate the "modern technology" crowd even though it's supposed to be a throw-back car. BLIS, auto-cruise and other driver aids all included standard. That Ford has the nerve to charge extra for these piss-ant features is tone deaf.

MSRP 50-55k just like Bullitt
As a dealer, I feel the same way about the Ford marketing people. I have a PP2 and I have set it up very well for the track with a diff cooler and now a Tri Max shifter and depending on who is driving a GT350, I am very competitive with them and I do pass them. The PP2 chassis is magic and the aerodynamics work so well, and the only bad thing about the Cup 2's are their price, but boy do they stick. While in the air with the shifter swap, I noticed the clever engineering in the design of the front brake cooling system. The brakes have never let me down and work so well. When running in Track Only mode, this car is so sweet. My benchmark is the Porsche GT3 and this car is running with them, passing some of them, but not quite up to the GT3 RS standard. I really like the look of the half cage on this Mach One and I would like one of those. If you have a PP2, get out to the track for some seat time, that is where it's home is.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
not
The true residence of a PP2, the track.
Area 27 Velocity 7.jpg
just hoping the Mach is every bit as good on the track and some as the PP2. I have not been in a PP2 or driven one, just heard, and if what that article is true, that this is the most track ready non-shelby mustang ever. then hell yeah.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Why can't it just take the Bullitt slot... price wise? Is the bullitt sticking around?
Because it'll have a lot more content than the Bullitt (potential Tremec and 10-speed auto.......coolers......brakes.....etc). The Bullitt is a 2 year only deal ('19/'20MY)

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Nice. A slam at Idaho. Thanks for showing who/what I'm dealing with here. And it's "You're" not "Your".

Bang that empty head of yours against the wall all you want. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay 60+k for a Mach 1.

I'm done with you.
Bikeman is just pulling your leg. But I agree with him, there are already well optioned GTs (PP2/GT auto conv) that are well over $50k, and if this Mach 1 has GT350 content, $55k wouldn't surprise me :)

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
Because it'll have a lot more content than the Bullitt (potential Tremec and 10-speed auto.......coolers......brakes.....etc). The Bullitt is a 2 year only deal ('19/'20MY)
That's fair, but there is potential they have already hit a break even point with all of the engineering and production costs associated with S550 and may not need to sell another limited edition car at such a high price point. Maybe I am being hopeful or naive...

AJMTZ985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe.
I heard that Ford said it would be the most powerful 5.0 they’ve made. Any ideas how they can accomplish this?
different heads/cams. New intake unique to the Mach. Stupid high red line. Light flywheel. Stuff like that. Hopefully Ford underrates the shit out of it. What I don't get is why people in the thread are bummed about getting the Bullit motor like its bad thing.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
The Mach 1 was never a track car in it's past incarnations it was a go fast and kick ass car. Ford saying it's the Most Track Capable 5.0L Mustang ever tells me this is the GT350's replacement.
Yeah, that's my guess too. GT350 going out of production but introducing the Mach 1 with obviously a pretty much GT350 bumper is totally like a refresh for the GT350. Will be really interesting to see first lap times from magazines.

Also using the Coyote might be a chance that the Mach 1 could come to europe since they already have a EU homologation for the Coyote in the Bullit

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
60k is big money for a gt. Even a fully optioned gt with a stripe kit and a unique set of wheels. The gt350 got away with it because of the Shelby badge and the unique engine. Price wise ford have have to balance up if there are enough folks out there prepared to spunk 60k on a non Shelby Mustang who don’t already have a Shelby in these uncertain times . If the answer is no, then expect nothing more than a gt with stripes matched with a bullet price tag. Personally I could not justify 60k on any mustang without serious pedigree. That figure puts it firmly in the firing lines of higher class competition
But Nick, it's not a GT. It's a "Mach 1". A major part of our heritage and our legacy. This is a big, big deal. Maybe even bigger than a Shelby. Hopefully Ford feels the same way and makes it really special.

Sponsored

Fordified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several Mustangs thru the years
I mentioned this in another Mach 1 post earlier, so for whatever it's worth:
I spoke to a sales dude from an SVT dealer back in mid-winter and we briefly discussed what the Mach 1 would be from a meeting he had with Ford.
The bump in power will be from using some head parts from the 5.2 GT350's engine (he didn't say what parts), intake and a tune. HP figures were not mentioned but probably around the 500HP mark. It will have an auto as an option and use the Mustang GT's manual as standard. The suspension will be the fine tuning of the PPL2 from the Mustang GT option list, bringing it very close to the GT350's capabilities. Now that the Bullitt and GT350 is over, it seems quite believable that Ford could/can fill the gap with the 2021 Mach 1, especially for non-SVT dealers to offer something more "upscale" and a name that has a lot of brand recognition. He wasn't aware of pricing because that always comes from Ford later than sooner (like colors, options, trim levels, etc.).
This was a few months back, so we'll see what we actually get. Should be a pretty good package though!

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I hope the Mach 1 is a big success . My idea of a Hybred Mach 1 would be a Mach 1 variant stuffed with a 5.2 liter FPC engine.

AJMTZ985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe.
I mentioned this in another Mach 1 post earlier, so for whatever it's worth:
I spoke to a sales dude from an SVT dealer back in mid-winter and we briefly discussed what the Mach 1 would be from a meeting he had with Ford.
The bump in power will be from using some head parts from the 5.2 GT350's engine (he didn't say what parts), intake and a tune. HP figures were not mentioned but probably around the 500HP mark. It will have an auto as an option and use the Mustang GT's manual as standard. The suspension will be the fine tuning of the PPL2 from the Mustang GT option list, bringing it very close to the GT350's capabilities. Now that the Bullitt and GT350 is over, it seems quite believable that Ford could/can fill the gap with the 2021 Mach 1, especially for non-SVT dealers to offer something more "upscale" and a name that has a lot of brand recognition. He wasn't aware of pricing because that always comes from Ford later than sooner (like colors, options, trim levels, etc.).
This was a few months back, so we'll see what we actually get. Should be a pretty good package though!
Sounds to me like this car might have a fat redline

AJMTZ985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe.
I hope the Mach 1 is a big success . My idea of a Hybred Mach 1 would be a Mach 1 variant stuffed with a 5.2 liter FPC engine.
Question. Do you just enjoy the idea of a hybrid vehicle or are you environmentally conscious? Performance hyrbids aren't cheap and the tech would put a mustang into super car territory. When I see comments about hybrids I always wonder what someone envisions.

The EPA was gutted when Trump became President. The pressure to turn Mustangs into the new Prius isn't the same as when Obama was around.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Question. Do you just enjoy the idea of a hybrid vehicle or are you environmentally conscious? Performance hyrbids aren't cheap and the tech would put a mustang into super car territory. When I see comments about hybrids I always wonder what someone envisions.

The EPA was gutted when Trump became President. The pressure to turn Mustangs into the new Prius isn't the same as when Obama was around.
not the person you were asking, but imo not on this chassis, too heavy already. I would not mind seeing that ICE RWD with part time electric front wheel drive assist I've seen tossed about, but on a lighter chassis so you don't end up with a 4500lb car.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.