Sponsored

BREAKING: 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Confirmed as the Most Track Capable 5.0L V8 Mustang Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1979

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
I’m thinking maybe they do 2 Mach 1 packages similar to what they did with the 12-13 Boss Laguna Seca. One for street/track and one for track. Would also allow them to stagger the price tag as well.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ddin't read all of the comments but wouldn't be surprised if 2021 MY was the last year for the PP2. And some consolidation happens. And 2022 Mustang brand looks like:

Mustang
Mustang PP
Mustang GT
Mustang GT PP
Mustang Mach 1
Mustang GT500

And Mustang EV:

Mach-E. And then something like Mach-X or whatever to compete with the likes of Porsche, Tesla, and other incoming performance EV SUV's. Then Maki, Mock Me, Mocking Bird, and Muwahahahahaha!

Okay sorry, got kinda carried away there....

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
If this will be a limited production, it could easily end up being a $60K Mustang particularly with potential ADM. If the focus is track oriented, why not just add coolers to the PP2 and spend $5K on a good driving school and some track time? You'll be seconds ahead of the pack and have $10K left over for tires.

Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Chances they offer the DCT from the GT500??

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I just can't see the 350 going away forever, and the Mach replacing it. It does not make any sense. The Mach name is not going to carry a 60K car to profitability. There are Bullitt's with cobwebs on them...

Shelby is a name ingrained with the Mustang. Ford would absolutely have lost their mind to drop 350 and replace it with the Mach. The 350 is worth every nickle, and a lot of that comes from the Shelby name itself.

I'm sticking with the Mach being a stopover for a couple years until the 350 returns...

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
Really been looking forward to this.
BUT, the round grill lights/induction reminds me of the 2013-14 added to the S-550 ??? I will try to remain positive on the final production look of that feature but my first take was it kinda seemed odd.
Parts bin boy racer Shelby spoiler ???
Please no all black wheels, been played out way too long... at least offer a retro or silver wheel finish as an option.
And I will bet the price will be close to 60K or maybe more.
I'm going to go hug my 2003 Mach1 tonight.
I still say the absolute BEST rendering was the Azure Blue that has been on these forums for quite a while, just my opinion.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Love the front end. Track ready means the cost will probably be higher than I want to spend. Wonder if it will get AT option.

Sponsored

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
So nothing here we didn't already know - and no details at all other than the revised front end (lots of air flow) , Cup 2, and the existing PP2 Brembos. Nice to see that it doesn't have any juvenile fake scoops. The pics purposefully didn't show the rear brakes of the Mach 1... but the spy pics showed ye olde single piston caliper. That is very disappointing.
Also nice to see that Ford has finally realized that some announcements right now would help them a lot. We have to wait a month for the F-150 announcement... and the two Broncos (the most important news of the remainder of the year, in addition to the promised start of the Mach E production) could be announced now to generate a lot of interest, reassure analysts, and get that stock started upwards. Heck, even Nissan with all it's woes has shown the new Z and generated a lot of press!
To make the track claim work, unlike the PP2 which immediately fails in aggressive track work (per Car & Driver test), it needs a transmission cooler (which means a different transmission, since the current one is not capable of supporting a cooler), a diff cooler (a known science: off-the-shelf), and a more serious engine cooling (air-to-oil cooler - again, off-the-shelf). And better rear brakes, versus ye olde single piston iron caliper (which too many of us have been stuck with since 1984. Keep in mind that even a Camaro SS has all this available, and it's best realized in the terrific 1LE. Magnetic suspension has to be standard to make this work, it's that important. Good news is the excellent Cup 2 tires. And those wheels might be forged. In other words, a GT350 with the pedestrian 5.0. Which means a lot of money, where the press release suggests otherwise. But nobody wants to be stuck with an expensive car that goes into limp home mode, if it doesn't first gark it's fluids (as too many of my Mustangs have done too often).

Alex1979

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
I don’t see this car anywhere near 60k base. MAYBE optioned to that point. I’m assuming starting price of 48999 or 51999 msrp. Ford already knows that the bulitts weren’t selling well at 49k as there are still a ton on the lot, raising the price on this would mean this would do the same. The Shelby started at 60k and as it said in the article it is not a Shelby replacement and hopefully wouldn’t justify a Shelby replacement price tag.

Pedal2Metal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2010 Shelby GT500, 2019 Explorer
Mustang Mach 1 Returning for 2021 Model Year As Limited-Edition Pinnacle of Style, Handling and 5.0-liter V8 Performance | Ford Media Center

Mach-1-Teaser.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich., May 29, 2020 – With speed, style and a name that embodies both, Ford today announces the Mustang Mach 1 is roaring back to life this year, with its debut coming this spring.

The iconic fastback coupe that debuted during the first golden era of muscle cars in the late-1960s now returns for global Mustang enthusiasts looking for the epitome of naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8 performance in a new golden age of power as a new choice in the lineup of the world’s best-selling sports car.

“Mach 1 has a special place in Mustang history, and it’s time for this special edition to claim the top spot in our 5.0-liter V8 performance lineup and reward our most hardcore Mustang enthusiasts who demand that next level of power, precision and collectability,” said Dave Pericak, director, Ford Icons. “Like the original, the all-new Mustang Mach 1 will be true to its heritage, delivering great looks and as the most track-capable 5.0-liter Mustang ever.”

Continuing the legacy of Mach 1

Mach 1 debuted for the 1969 model year and immediately carved out its place in the Mustang lineup, delivering performance and improved dynamics with its GT handling suspension. In the years that followed, Mach 1 saw improved performance versus Mustang GT and was more attainable than Shelby and Boss variants.

“Mach 1 has always been that bridge between base Mustangs and the Shelby models,” said Ted Ryan, heritage brand manager, Ford Archives. “From a style and handling perspective, the original Mach 1 managed to stand out as unique, even in the Mustang lineup – and as the name implies, it could really move.”

Two years after its debut, Mach 1 with its competition suspension hit the streets in 1971 longer and larger than the original, with an assortment of powerful engine options. In 1974, Mach 1 again saw major changes, reimagined for the first time as a hatchback. This Mach 1 generation enjoyed a five-year run and beefed up its handling capabilities more with an optional Rallye Suspension Package.

Mach 1 returned for 2003 and 2004 model years, blending modern power with the nostalgia of 1970s-era Mach 1 design elements. Its unique Mach 1 handling suspension with larger Brembo front-disc brakes improved on-road performance, while its matte black spoiler and hood stripe helped the coupe standout.

Seventeen years later, the all-new 2021 Mustang Mach 1 is set to return as the most track-ready 5.0-liter Mustang ever, once again delivering design magic while adding to its performance legacy.

Mach-1-Teaser-1.jpg

Mach-1-Teaser-2.jpg

mustangfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Will have to see the final version in non-camo and the parts list. Fair to assume this would be around for at least 2 model year cycles

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
I bet it's basically a PP2 with coolers and a different front fascia. I'm curious about the power updates. Maybe it'll use the new Ford power pack or just be a copy of the Bullitt with the GT350 intake manifold. I am a litlle disappointed they went with the Cup 2 tires here, most guys will have to swap them out with more streetable tires. Hopefully this is available with the 10-speed!
I would say pretty confidently it will have an A10 option.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.