Sponsored

BREAKING: 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Confirmed as the Most Track Capable 5.0L V8 Mustang Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Mustang Mach 1 Returning for 2021 Model Year As Limited-Edition Pinnacle of Style, Handling and 5.0-liter V8 Performance | Ford Media Center

Mach-1-Teaser.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich., May 29, 2020 – With speed, style and a name that embodies both, Ford today announces the Mustang Mach 1 is roaring back to life this year, with its debut coming this spring.

The iconic fastback coupe that debuted during the first golden era of muscle cars in the late-1960s now returns for global Mustang enthusiasts looking for the epitome of naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8 performance in a new golden age of power as a new choice in the lineup of the world’s best-selling sports car.

“Mach 1 has a special place in Mustang history, and it’s time for this special edition to claim the top spot in our 5.0-liter V8 performance lineup and reward our most hardcore Mustang enthusiasts who demand that next level of power, precision and collectability,” said Dave Pericak, director, Ford Icons. “Like the original, the all-new Mustang Mach 1 will be true to its heritage, delivering great looks and as the most track-capable 5.0-liter Mustang ever.”

Continuing the legacy of Mach 1

Mach 1 debuted for the 1969 model year and immediately carved out its place in the Mustang lineup, delivering performance and improved dynamics with its GT handling suspension. In the years that followed, Mach 1 saw improved performance versus Mustang GT and was more attainable than Shelby and Boss variants.

“Mach 1 has always been that bridge between base Mustangs and the Shelby models,” said Ted Ryan, heritage brand manager, Ford Archives. “From a style and handling perspective, the original Mach 1 managed to stand out as unique, even in the Mustang lineup – and as the name implies, it could really move.”

Two years after its debut, Mach 1 with its competition suspension hit the streets in 1971 longer and larger than the original, with an assortment of powerful engine options. In 1974, Mach 1 again saw major changes, reimagined for the first time as a hatchback. This Mach 1 generation enjoyed a five-year run and beefed up its handling capabilities more with an optional Rallye Suspension Package.

Mach 1 returned for 2003 and 2004 model years, blending modern power with the nostalgia of 1970s-era Mach 1 design elements. Its unique Mach 1 handling suspension with larger Brembo front-disc brakes improved on-road performance, while its matte black spoiler and hood stripe helped the coupe standout.

Seventeen years later, the all-new 2021 Mustang Mach 1 is set to return as the most track-ready 5.0-liter Mustang ever, once again delivering design magic while adding to its performance legacy.

Mach-1-Teaser-1.jpg

Mach-1-Teaser-2.jpg
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Guess we'll just have to wait for the drip feed of spec information though :like:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So basically a PP2 with a fancy badge.
“Mach 1 has a special place in Mustang history, and it’s time for this special edition to claim the top spot in our 5.0-liter V8 performance lineup
ll-new 2021 Mustang Mach 1 is set to return as the most track-ready 5.0-liter Mustang ever,
If this comments are true than this will be a lot more than just a PP2. Are we talking about beyond the GT350? We'll see.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It won't top a GT350......I'm sure they're specific in say "top spot in the 5.0 performance"...........it'd imagine a suspension/brake setup being a mix of PP2/GT350 along with the coolers from the GT350. Power-wise, hopefully a little more than the Bullitt.......500hp would be cool

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
It states right in the damn article that the Mach's were always a bridge between base and Shelby. This is not going to be any different. Think tweaked PP2. It's a good move for Ford as slapping another 65K+ car under the brand would not be a money maker. If I'd guess, I'd say it's stopover to the 22 GT350/550 cars.

Not a bad looking car, and it's great to see the Mach name again. Had a 2003 and loved it...

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
If this comments are true than this will be a lot more than just a PP2.
I just wonder what exactly can they do to go above and beyond the PP2 but still stay well clear of the GT350.

The PP2 already has updated mag ride suspension, similar to the GT350. The PP2 already has Torsen diff like in the GT350, radiator like in the GT350,

That's why I think they should and will include the coolers from the GT350, and maybe a bit more power. But the PP2 is already pretty high up there with the GT350 besides the power obviously.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I concur - it’ll be a PP2 with a power bump (hopefully starting with a 5), plus Mach specific styling inside and out. Coolers would be awesome.

The defining GT350 separation is 5.0 vs 5.2.

Excited about this one!

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It won't top a GT350......I'm sure they're specific in say "top spot in the 5.0 performance"...........it'd imagine a suspension/brake setup being a mix of PP2/GT350 along with the coolers from the GT350. Power-wise, hopefully a little more than the Bullitt.......500hp would be cool
DUH! Good point on the 5.0. Need to clean my glasses. :giggle:

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I bet it's basically a PP2 with coolers and a different front fascia. I'm curious about the power updates. Maybe it'll use the new Ford power pack or just be a copy of the Bullitt with the GT350 intake manifold. I am a litlle disappointed they went with the Cup 2 tires here, most guys will have to swap them out with more streetable tires. Hopefully this is available with the 10-speed!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ughh those bastards at Ford just had to make the Mach 1 so cool that I want one bad! Excited to see it without the camo and get the final details!

The wheels look different and cool - I like the rear spoiler... not thrilled with the circular openings but if they are something like Dodge does with openings inside fog lights they might look good.

Hopefully it has the GT350 transmission with a cooler and a rear diff cooler. Those are the real key functional items for me.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
305s on the front!. I see a roll cage in it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.