Sponsored

Brand New to Mods - How do you select your tune?

cjj237

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Guard
I'm looking at getting a CAI (PMAS) and a Lund tune, but didn't know which tune to get, or how to even decide which one to get. I'm going to keep it off of E95, but other than that, I don't know the first thing that I should be investigating. Could you provide me with a basic link to start comparing them and what I should even be interested in? Thanks.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You should ask Lund, but basically it comes down to what type of gas you plan on using. That's really the main deciding factor for a tune.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
what do you mean which tune? you choose your fuel and tell them your mods

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Your best choices (in no particular order) are: AED, Lund, PBD, VMP in my opinion. All will give similar results.

I'd suggest contacting each of them and let them know what you are trying to accomplish.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Tune based on the gas available in your area. For me, it was a 93 octane tune, then they will ask you what your bolt on mods are from there. That's all it takes.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'm looking at getting a CAI (PMAS) and a Lund tune, but didn't know which tune to get, or how to even decide which one to get. I'm going to keep it off of E95, but other than that, I don't know the first thing that I should be investigating. Could you provide me with a basic link to start comparing them and what I should even be interested in? Thanks.
I hate to be captain obvious here, but you will need a tuning device along with the tune file. You load the tune file via a computer onto the tuning device and then take the tuning device and plug it into your car and upload the tune. SCT x4 and Ngauge are popular tuning devices. I personally have the x4.

Tuning isn't cheap either. The tuning device plus the tune costs at least $600. But yes, you email whoever you want a tune from and tell them your goals whether this is a race car or just a car you enjoy driving spiritedly on public roads. After that, tell them your mods(all of them including rear-end gears and tire size) and what type of fuel you want to run. I'd get a minimum of 2 tunes in case you run into an area that doesn't have that particular gas type. Say an 87 and a 93 tune or a 91 and an e85 tune.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
chose by reputation of shop & locale to me. Started with Bama canned tunes for life from AmericanMuscle. Custom tune > canned tune!

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
If you guys are looking for tunes I love our tune on my 2016 mustang GT. I run a flex fuel tune so you can run either e85 or 93 octane and have our severe windstorm cold air intake and 160 degree thermostat and have no issues. You will also get a datalogging touch screen device for easy programming and use. Unbelievable performance that you can feel in your seat. If you want to call me at 313-561-5500 ext 126 my name is Jake and I will be more then happy to discuss tunes with you and what would work best.https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/shop/page/4

ex_q90_w680_h_windstorm.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
My experience with my 2015 extends to Bama and Lund. I ran several Bama tunes and even tried their Flex Fuel tune.

At first I thought Bama was awesome and my posts reflect that. I've seen a lot of bad press against Bama but couldn't understand it and I even defended them on multiple occasions. UNTIL, I tried adding a JLT intake. Man, they could just not get the car to run right. I don't know what it was. But after 4 revisions still didn't run to my satisfaction. But I was satisfied with the power increase at the time, not knowing about any other tune companies.

Fast forward a little bit and I decided to try Lund Racing. Their tune simply turned it into an animal. It pulled like a freight train and the responsiveness of the pedal feel is really good. It wanted to get up and go. Now after adding a ported 2018 intake manifold and Ford Racing 47lb. injectors it runs stronger and SMOOTHER than it ever has since I bought the car, even with the IMRCs locked out. Dakota at Lund did a great job with my tune.

IME Lund has been very responsive. Dealt with Greg, Alex, John Nardi, Dasan and now Dakota.

Back to Bama - before I added the new intake manifold I decided to try Bama one more time. Tunes for life right?! Can't lose. I wanted to try their Flex Fuel tune due to my success running Lund's. Was not pleased with it. Car didn't run right and felt slugglish compared to the Lund tune.

Lund and Bama both require datalogging (which is a must IMO to make sure it runs right).

Fellow forum member @BmacIL switched recently from the Livernois tune to AED and he's been really satisfied with the improvement and the drivability of the tune. He can chime in if he feels like it. From what I've heard about Shaun @ AED, he is very meticulous to detail. Even going as far as requiring some people to datalog their stock tune w/o any mods to make sure there are no issues before proceeding. Especially if you have an automatic, the word is Shaun has it down at least on the 6R80 transmission. So I would recommend AED based on what Bmac as told me and what I have heard from other forum members.

No experience with PBD or VMP but both of them seem to get rave reviews.

Stick with the big four: Lund, VMP, PBD, AED. In the datalogging process you will hopefully learn certain things to look at to make sure your car is running right. They are all EMAIL tunes YES... But all cars are different and what works on other cars may not work on yours. It probably will 98% of the time. But the tuner will adjust fueling and MAF curve to match the data they are seeing from your car. Fuel trims within 1-3% is very good. Just something to look out for.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
They will tell you they suggest a 170 degree thermostat over a 160 and I can tell you the 160 will still reach normal operating temps. And I know because I have one and live in Michigan. So it does get cold in winter. The only reason he suggests his is better because he thinks it doesn't reach operating temps in extreme cold. One most people don't drive there performance cars in extreme cold and 2 I have driven mine in under 20 degree weather and still see operating temps above 200 degrees. I am not here to put any company down and I'm sure the 170 degree thermostat is better then stock but on our dyno 160 degree thermostat worked the best for us. And that was with testing proof.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Livernois customer service may be good but AED's is much better. You speak directly with the tuner himself. The one, the only. His tunes are much better too.

I can't speak for other tuners as I haven't used them but Livernois and AED I have both used and I can say one hundred thousand percent AED is better. If you have an automatic AED is the best.

Also they only just came out with that new device and weren't offering any of their current loyal customers upgrade / trade in programs for their old tuner device. I would have been happy with 50-100$ off for trading in my old one, but they were adamant even to current and loyal customers there would be no such thing. $599 for the new device and tune regardless.That's not how you keep customers. That's how you send them to buy a better tuning device and seek out another tuning company.

Its not about "watching gauges and datalogs", it's about taking datalogs and sending them to your tuner so he can tweak your tune and personalize it for YOUR CAR, and seek out and fix any issues and make adjustments. Pay for 5 new dynos? You don't need a dyno to take datalogs. None of these BIG 4 tuners require you to use a dyno to take datalogs so that isn't really an issue for the OP nor a reason to be steered towards Livernois. Their old my calibrator CAN NOT datalog so I don't know why your saying it can. Stand alone it can't.

Why do you need 5 tunes? That's just ridiculous. I'd rather have one/two amazing tunes than 5 ok tunes.

Since the op wants to know about tunes, i'm just giving my honest opinion on two tuners that I have experience with. The good and the bad. So far with AED there has been no bad so that's why I'll always recommend them.
Sponsored

Last edited: