Brand New S550 GT But Paint Seems Not OK

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Bring it back and have them give you a new GT. I looks as if the car had a previous repair based on your posted photos. I would not accept it and I would not accept a repaint on a new car. Or they can refund you the cost of a repaint.
Not gonna happen (them giving OP a new GT). OP already took delivery of the car, it’s his. They’ve offered to respray which is the proper fix. Either OP takes the respray or leaves it as is. Either way, Ford is not buying it back at this point, they are afforded the opportunity to fix it first.

It’s a paint defect, it happens. Not saying I wouldn’t be pissed if it was my car because I would be, but I’d also give them the opportunity to make it right (respray as they’ve already said). If the respray didn’t fix the issue, that’s when you start escalating. And as Cobra Jet stated earlier, OP can open a case with Ford Customer Service and they’ll be able to monitor the repair as well.
Sponsored

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I also found some small scratches and a dent on my new 2022 GT after a first wash. The dealer told me to bring it in this Friday so hopefully everything gets fixed up then.

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
1BE2D3D0-DAAC-4525-893E-C5B6539303A5.jpeg
CD08976C-0AE5-4F19-BF6E-1C3CB17CA3EA.jpeg
54C77712-AE20-429E-85D9-556ED349E45B.jpeg

My car had these paint issues and the fender was corroding away within the first year. Now both front fenders are corroding and the hood too. They fixed my car, gave me a nice F150 lariat to drive for a few days to fix it.
so before the corrosion warranty ran up i brought it in to get the hood and fenders fixed again one last time and they denied it because there wasn't a perforation in the panel. Some drilled holes in theirs and brought it back. I didn't.
However, i bought me a Chevy for the first time in my life instead of the F150 for this very reason. Do i think Chevy has messed up their paint before? Absolutely i do, but so far, fit and finish has been way better than ford on my 22 Silverado.
the OP has every right to be upset about the situation, but this can and certainly does happen with all manufacturers. Doesn't take away from the fact he paid $45000 or more for something that should be perfect and isn't. I know for some of you $45000 ain't much but for a lot more of us normal people out here, it's a ton. Especially on a car that's really not very practical. IMHO, get it fixed so it doesn't bother you every time you shine it up and enjoy your car, it's still a phenomenal machine. Mine runs and drives great even with a rotting hood 🤷‍♂️

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
Being an S550 they aren’t going to reorder a new vehicle for you (an unlikely option even if currently being produced), I would simply live with it…if trading in a few years will likely be ignored, if keeping the vehicle long term eventually you may pick up stone chips on the front end and will have a quality body shop repair the area, have it addressed then. I wouldn’t let Ford paint the quarter panel, I’d be afraid of the result, but would bet that it stands out more (negatively) than your current A pillar!

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Put a sticker over the paint defect or get it fixed for free, and drive it, its a Ford! 🚗 🤪

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I just got it checked at 2 different reputable third party body shops.

Apparently that's the factory paint, nothing happened on the way or at the dealer, paint has the same thickness all around with a very slight variation.

They both advised me to drive it as it is if it's not bothering me that much.

Because it most likely will cause devaluation of my car even though it doesnt show up on Carfax. Like me, most people who love these cars show up with a gauge to check the paint..

Anyways, I know I should've been more careful but that does not give Ford or any manufacturer the right to sell me a car with a defect. It is just not right.

At this point, all I want from Ford and/or the dealer is some kind of compensation to be honest.
No one is going to come with a paint gauge to see your car EVER..... Not even if you lock it in a cargo container for the next 30 years. It's a BASE Mustang.

This repair will not devalue your car....

You are likely not getting any 'compensation' for loss of value or your feelings.

If the blemishes bother you that much, demand a quality paint repair, and before taking it back examine every square inch. I made a dealer repaint a bumper 3x back in the 90's. Third time was at a body shop of my choice.

If having that much of the car repainted bothers you, live with the blemish and consider it a 'birth mark'

It's just a car, isn't perfect, and in 90 days will have other 'imperfections' Drive it, ENJOY it, and don't stress about it.

dsiggi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Before I had my GT350R I had a 15 PP1 that I ordered new. Sold my 2002 C5 to get it. Never was a mustang guy before, but I liked the upgrades the S550 had over prior models and was looking for a new summer daily for work. I had a good friend that worked with the Plant Manager at a prior plant before he was at Flat Rock. I asked if I could do a tour or watch it come off the line and they said they really didn't do that anymore. So I just kindly asked if they could hold it for a quality inspection after.

Fast forward to picking it up in April of 15 at my dealer. It didn't get held, and had some paint issues on the rear bumper pealing day 1 and a good drip on the drivers door.

I sent a picture to my friend just saying I was kinda bummed but real nice. I got a text back immediately that no matter who you are that never should have passed even the normal off the line inspection but things happen.

Within an hour I had a call from the quality manager at Flat Rock asking when I could bring the car back to the plant for them to make things right. This was after I had taken delivery of the car. These things don't happen, all my friends thought I was making it up.

I happened to have to go to a customer down that way on business the Friday of that week. I was personally met by the quality manager at the front gate of Flat Rock. He had 4 guys looking at my car with in a few minutes, well beyond the paint issues, looking at fits etc. and proceeded to take me on a tour of the plant for the next 4 hours while my car was being worked on.

This was also as they were starting the builds for the overseas models and were setting up the anti-corrision booth and spraying seams with an anticorrosive to meet European standards so got to talk to those guys for a while. It was in a building right next to where they pulled cars to do the stripes and other customs stuffs they cant do directly on the line.

It was an amazing experience. This was when the GT350 and GT350R were still in pre production phase, Ill have to find the photos on my phone and post them. Got to look them all over in Flat Rock.

I'll never forget walking around with the Quality Manager and him saying "You know why this car got brought back to the factory right? Because I got a direct call from the Plant Manager saying this guy sold his C5 to get this car, make this right."

Moral of the story. Sometimes you get lucky and "know a guy who knows a guy".

Ended up being a great story!

IMG_3382.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

Drivers Side Door Paint defect. I couldn't find the picture of the passenger rear bumper to quarter panel peeling due to the tight fit.
IMG_2886.JPG

Last edited:

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
- If it turns out to bubble or whatever in a couple years, the note will be in Oasis report.
- Now get back on the road and forget about it.
this is horrible advice. the paint should at the very least be blemish and trash free from the factory. this isn't orange peel, its an actual defect.

Bigred911s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big Red
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Before I signed the paperwork and picked up my 22 I went over it with a microscope and it was perfect. If I found anything I would have walked away. i never purchased a new car with any defects and I wasn’t going to do so with my 22. But hey that’s just me.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
this is horrible advice. the paint should at the very least be blemish and trash free from the factory. this isn't orange peel, its an actual defect.
Sure, reject the car, it's "defective". lol

How many paint "defects" will this replacement car have?

Anyone that states that there vehicle has zero defects is an idiot.

Drive it jk550!

Sponsored

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
Sure, reject the car, it's "defective". lol

How many paint "defects" will this replacement car have?

Anyone that states that there vehicle has zero defects is an idiot.

Drive it jk550!
Not what i said. they should make it right.

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
For the most part, I’d rather have a paint defect/blemish sealed under factory clear coat than have a large percentage of my vehicle painted aftermarket.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
For the most part, I’d rather have a paint defect/blemish sealed under factory clear coat than have a large percentage of my vehicle painted aftermarket.
so you'd rather have a shitty OEM paint job than a good one? weird flex but okay.

there is nothing special about factory paint.
in many ways it is inferior to what the average body shop can produce.

its only better if it isn't garbage and this is absolute garbage.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Very true, and the supply chain issues are still a real problem. The first-year S650 owners are in for a wild ride.
True on the latter point, but the supply chain excuse is wearing thin...

Case in point, I took delivery of a new Wrangler Rubicon yesterday. I ordered it 2-27, you do the math. I wanted a Bronco, but didn't know when/if I'd ever see it. Supply chain isn't an issue for some apparently.

And based on my conversation with my salesperson at Granger, her take is the general quality is better on the Jeeps versus Bronco (especially interior) - didn't see that coming based on past experience with them, but the new ones are light years ahead of the JKs I had.

Ford needs to step it up.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
I noticed a couple VERY SMALL blemishes like something airborne settled into the color coat. I looked the car over well at the dealership but still missed them. They are not bad enough to worry about and if the car was resprayed in Eruption Green I think the blend would possibly be more noticeable than the defect. I will monitor it and see if the defect stays the same before the warranty ends.

In the OPs situation it seems the defect is much more prevalent and the color so much easier to blend.
2C2342E2-EDF1-4877-97FC-799505B86A2D.jpeg
3E5C5408-CF1B-4E28-A42E-C7C08FC56C42.jpeg
Sponsored