Sponsored

Brand New And Broke

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Farley is aware of Quality Control issues. He recently fired the head of quality control and made quality control number 1 priority at Ford plants. Farley is not afraid of making changes at Ford.
Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
$3,400 in 1971 is worth $24,916.29 so Mustang pricing is wildly inflated today compared to yore.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/mustang-prices-through-the-years#1971
While it sounds like it's a lot more expensive, we have to remember that the S550 drives and handles so much better than the 3200 lb. '71 Mustang and that $3400 was for a 302-2V model which had no posi-trac rear end (2.79 gear ratio), drum brakes all around, gave about 15 mpg out of the 210 HP (gross rating which dropped to 170 HP in 1973 when they went to net rating like it is today), etc. I love my base GT which has vehicle stability, ABS, traction control (which it needs with 460 HP at the crank), adaptive cruise, lane keeping assist, 20+ mpg, auto headlights, auto wipers, etc. I think all these improvements is well worth the $10K additional cost, not to mention the niceties of having an IRS which makes the handling so much better. I admit I still wish I had that Mach 1 but it would never outperform my current Mustang. Even after putting in a cam, manifold & carb, shift kit for the C4 auto, 3.50 gears from a '66 Mustang (8" differential) application, Lakewood traction bars (as it had no posi-trac rear end), headers and duals, dual point distributor with modified advance curve to maximize power, the best it ran was 14.2 on the 1/4 mile uncapped. Granted I didn't do anything to the bottom half meaning it still had 9.5:1 compression and I'm sure if it had our 12:1 it would've been a lot quicker though still wouldn't match the stock GT of today.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Farley is not afraid of making changes at Ford.
firing the top guy doesn't solve the minions not caring especially if they aren't personally held responsible, nor the ethos in the engineering department, in receiving, in assembly line...

There used to be "ruthless" captains of industry - now they just lick banker ****. The lessons of Mulally didn't stick obviously. I realize perfection is the enemy of good, but when the foreign brands who manufacture in CONUS can pull it off, it clearly isn't cost-prohibitive to do so.

Last edited:

FlatRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N0404
I was surprised to see the “Mach 1” logo on the engine cross brace is actually just a sticker and not really riveted to the piece. Fooled me.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
People seem to have a bias towards very low mileage failures, when in reality that's the most likely point a defect is going to show up. If you work around machines enough you'll find they can fail in every way possible, even ways you didn't think were possible, lol.

Sponsored

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I would place the blame on the world we are living right now. If you pay attention to the things you are buying these days you might notice that quality is slipping everywhere. From the food we buy to the durable goods for sale in big box stores.

My friend owns an auto repair shop and the number of replacement part defects he is reporting is incredible. His practice has always been to carefully inspect, measure and test (when possible) replacement parts before they install them on a customer's car. These days it is not uncommon to see a 50% failure rate. The biggest offenders have been precision replacement parts like wheel bearings and u-joints. These are common parts for domestic cars.

Ford is dealing with the same issues.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
PDI is supposed to catch crap that slips past the assembly plant. Sounds like it worked as designed.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Luckily, the 22’ MT-82s are outsourced from Mexico, instead of China like previous years. The TR-3160 also comes from Mexico. The MT-82’ for the 22’s is smooth and satisfying to shift. 👌

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Luckily, the 22’ MT-82s are outsourced from Mexico, instead of China like previous years. The TR-3160 also comes from Mexico. The MT-82’ for the 22’s is smooth and satisfying to shift. 👌
Bueno

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Didn't mind buying my 2019 GT350 with less than 2K miles. Was in perfect condition, top/bottom (examined it on a lift at the sellers facility). Just enough time on it to at least bring out infant mortality failures Has been perfect since. Lucky that the price was $58K, a low point in pricing.

Sponsored

BLACKMACH1NE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
So a supplier sold Ford a bad radiator and Dearborn didn’t catch it. Talk about a quality control breakdown.
Customers and dealers complaining about the wait times for units, the factory cutting corers to push units out . Suppliers with no workers pushing units out in a rush.
SHYT happens when you rush. It might have passed the q/c check and let go after loaded onto the hauler.
This is why I would not touch a vehicle built from may 2020-till 2024. when things normalize.Covid, under staffed and rushed= All units are Friday afternoon built cars no matter when screwed together.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Errybodee bitchin' about Ford QC as if other companies and vehicles don't have issues.

The 992 911s have a history of rattles from the dash. BMWs are basically just ticking shit-bombs waiting to explode. Even Hondas and Toyotas have serious issues from the factory.

The real issue is the emotional over-reactions to normal things like a bad radiator because "mah Mustang!!!". These things happen, they get fixed, it's no big deal.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Cars have become extremely complicated with what some would consider way too much non essential junk. More to go wrong and it sometimes does.
My complaint would be with the quality of the work to correct issues. Most of us have had issues with repairs not correctly done or worse damage to other things on the car during it s visit. Part of life I guess. Worse things in life for sure.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Errybodee bitchin' about Ford QC as if other companies and vehicles don't have issues.

The 992 911s have a history of rattles from the dash. BMWs are basically just ticking shit-bombs waiting to explode. Even Hondas and Toyotas have serious issues from the factory.

The real issue is the emotional over-reactions to normal things like a bad radiator because "mah Mustang!!!". These things happen, they get fixed, it's no big deal.
YUP. Crap happens. Always has, no matter the badge on the deck lid/fender
Sponsored