Brand New And Broke

gfitzge2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mach 1 M1545
The supplier is supposed to do the quality control. No way to pressure test it when the car is being built on the line. Unless it was leaking when they drove it off the line and noticed. Managing the supplier and their percentage of defects is very much Ford's job.
Just an interesting note. In an assembly plant, there is automated fluid fill equipment for coolant. It pulls a vacuum in the system. It holds that vacuum for long enough to check for leaks. If all is well it releases the coolant and it fills very quickly. Similar process for brake and air conditioning systems. You should see them fill tires. It happens in about a second and the valve stem is not involved.

I suspect that is a defective part from the supplier . It just held up for a while but ultimately failed. I agree that Ford is responsible for managing the supplier and their percentage of defects. And of course warrantee claims.
Sponsored

gfitzge2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mach 1 M1545
Another note the window sticker states ( Fighter Jet Gray ) but when you run an OASIS report the color is ( Cactus Gray ) . Ford being constantly inconsistent.........LOL
:crackup: Are those marketing folks doing their jobs or what? Cactus Grey sounds a lot better on a Bronco or Ranger than on a Mustang. My M1 is FJG but the plant build info sheet calls it Cactus Grey and the paint code is the same.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I've had five new Mustangs with manual transmissions. Two were Tremec and three were Getrag. All of them were flawless.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I've had five new Mustangs with manual transmissions. Two were Tremec and three were Getrag. All of them were flawless.
I have also had good luck with my various cars and the MT82…my 13 Boss was the worst, but a Barton shifter cured it.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Every car gets a three mile road test?
No ........LOL .........Most vehicles that come off the truck have about 5 miles . Most of the miles are from transport ...... moving from rail yard to truck ........ at least that what I see in AZ . Have to justify the 1900 destination charge ..... LOL
Agree with @fmc_smt, it's not that all vehicles go for a 3 mile road test. Some can be pulled by random off the assembly line and get more than 3 miles.

The point I was trying to make with my initial response was that - with the vehicle being started probably numerous times after assembly, moved X-times, and has 3 miles on it, that radiator was surely was a leaker from the start . . . and it was ignored.

Do they even have final QC any more at the Ford Plants? Maybe instead of Farley racing around a track, he should be more concerned with QC and the Billions in Warranty Claims by actually going to the Assembly Plants to see what's really happening.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
I suspect there is no FINAL QC going on.

From the factory (bought the car with 7 miles on it) it came with a broken windshield sprayer hose - when activating the sprayers it would dump fluid onto the engine. And a very harsh jank transmission.

So yeah. Not surprised this happens.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Union rules probably prohibit QC. If you don't do it you can't hold union accountable. American Union labor is incompatible with quality by it's very nature. Doesn't have to be...

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Have to remember the parts used go to the lowest bid ......sad to say . If you all new of the APIM issues right now would blow your mind . Sync is great , when it works
Just had a new APIM put in my car this month. Been waiting on it since October. I missed my SYNC!!!

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If a problem like this isn’t caught at the right QC station it just rolls on even if it is caught later.

Ford knows the cost. Ford knows how many bad radiators are acceptable from X supplier. Ford has all the information and uses it to maximizes profit.

Also an extended warranty is just an insurance policy. You are just betting against Ford. I did get an 8 year 75k. Cheap insurance.

Sponsored

johnnytequila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 performance blue GT350
Union rules probably prohibit QC. If you don't do it you can't hold union accountable. American Union labor is incompatible with quality by it's very nature. Doesn't have to be...
Union enforces quality. I know because I was in 2 different unions, 2 different trades for over 30 years and seen the incompetent workers get the slip and shown the door.

johnnytequila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 performance blue GT350
Did anyone remember the guy paying double for a z06 vette and have it crap out on him just over 50 miles? No one is gonna trash talk Chevy?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Union enforces quality. I know because I was in 2 different unions, 2 different trades for over 30 years and seen the incompetent workers get the slip and shown the door.
you were in trades. Where in some cases they do police their own. Automotive is not a trade.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I suspect there is no FINAL QC going on.

From the factory (bought the car with 7 miles on it) it came with a broken windshield sprayer hose - when activating the sprayers it would dump fluid onto the engine. And a very harsh jank transmission.

So yeah. Not surprised this happens.
My car had a washer issue as well. I didn't notice it until I had to use it a couple months after I bought it. I could hear the pump motor running, but no fluid on the windshield. I opened the hood and found no fluid anywhere so no leaks.

The dealer told me they found that the washer would spray with the hood open, but not with it closed. Apparently, the way the washer hose was routed, it got bent when closed which caused it to not allow fluid to flow (you know they use these hard plastic hoses now, not like the old days with the rubber hoses that would be forgiving in cases like this.) So they ordered a new one and replaced it and all is fine now. Little glitches that we have to expect in a car literally made with thousands of pieces that are assembled by humans. Clearly my old '71 Mach 1 didn't have anything near the kind of components and systems these new cars have (also different costs as my Mach cost $3400 back in '71; yeah, I know it's in the tens of thousands in today's dollars).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase