Sponsored

Brakes locking up?

RushGotti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Anyone had an issue with this? The brakes work wonderfully on a day to day basis, However on an emergency, When you slam the brakes, for me they lock up and take a long time to come to a full stop even at low speeds.

The first time I had to do this, Some guy ran a stop sign and stopped right in front of me when he saw me, I slammed my brakes only to find myself skidding towards him and I was only doing 35-40MPH, I swerved to the left and still got halfway past his car until I came to a full stop.

The 2nd time, The guy in front of me was cut off and slammed on his brakes, I slammed on my brakes as well, His car stopped, Mine? Yeah. It stopped alright.

So I'm just looking to see if anyone has felt anything wrong with their brakes. Once the car is repaired, I'll be going to an empty road/big empty parking lot, Taking the car up to 35mph and slamming on my brakes to see if it stops or does the same thing, I'll be making a video of that soon.
Sponsored

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Anyone had an issue with this? The brakes work wonderfully on a day to day basis, However on an emergency, When you slam the brakes, for me they lock up and take a long time to come to a full stop even at low speeds.

The first time I had to do this, Some guy ran a stop sign and stopped right in front of me when he saw me, I slammed my brakes only to find myself skidding towards him and I was only doing 35-40MPH, I swerved to the left and still got halfway past his car until I came to a full stop.

The 2nd time, The guy in front of me was cut off and slammed on his brakes, I slammed on my brakes as well, His car stopped, Mine? Yeah. It stopped alright.

So I'm just looking to see if anyone has felt anything wrong with their brakes. Once the car is repaired, I'll be going to an empty road/big empty parking lot, Taking the car up to 35mph and slamming on my brakes to see if it stops or does the same thing, I'll be making a video of that soon.
Thats why I never tailgate, and always leave two-three car lengths in front of you. IF you think your brakes are acting weird, get it looked it ASAP.

badass03ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 GT 'vert, 1973 Fastback
Sounds like there might be a problem with anti-lock, and yeah, like opensesame said, if I ever even thought my brakes were an issue, they be getting looked at!!!

AndreG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
If the tires were locked up you wouldn't have been able to steer.

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Yeah, I dunno , something doesnt seem right. Theres a lot of things that could contribute sliding and the ABS to be percieved as not working. The only way to concrete prove that ABS failed was a distinct tire track mark of the skid into the vehicle, in which case I probably would have taken a photo of at the time of the accident.

Did you get ticketed? Much like a rear-end collision, unless you werent paying attention you should see certain things coming.

Andre is also right, Ive locked up my brakes on a road course in my S197, and that has ABS, and I wasnt able to steer. The sliding was caused by something else which ABS wouldnt have been able to help with.

Sponsored

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
Have the shop check out your brake system while it's in for repairs! Shoulda went with the Brembos.... just kidding! The brake force distribution system may be screwed up.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Do summer tires lose braking power when the temps drop below acceptable levels (below 40F)? I know that summer tires' rubber becomes stiffer at lower temps than A/S or winter tires.

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
Do summer tires lose braking power when the temps drop below acceptable levels (below 40F)? I know that summer tires' rubber becomes stiffer at lower temps than A/S or winter tires.
I would have to assume that the harder the compound becomes (due to lower temps) the less grip it has, so yes the braking would be negatively affected.

OP
OP

RushGotti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Have the shop check out your brake system while it's in for repairs! Shoulda went with the Brembos.... just kidding! The brake force distribution system may be screwed up.
I actually tried braking again, At 40MPH and the car stopped fast without a problem.

My friend told me he remembers the car jumping when I slammed my brakes the day of the accident... Must have been that certain situation, With the road and all.

I've began braking from a further distance after that, Should really put more room between my car and the ones ahead of me anyways.

Sponsored

Danger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015, Performance Package, Ingot Silver
I have the GT with performance package, no problems here brakes work really good compared to my Camaro SS I had. I have done hard stops and they work just as they should.

Danger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015, Performance Package, Ingot Silver
Very sorry about your accident, for the looks of it your frame should be in tact.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
My friend told me he remembers the car jumping when I slammed my brakes the day of the accident... Must have been that certain situation, With the road and all.

That would have been the abs pulsing and doing its job. You also should have felt it on the brake pedal.

OP
OP

RushGotti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
That would have been the abs pulsing and doing its job. You also should have felt it on the brake pedal.
Honestly it all happened so fast, All I remember was ending up under him...

Very sorry about your accident, for the looks of it your frame should be in tact.
Yeah! Most of the things are repairable, I just had to buy a couple of things.

The insurance didn't cover me, Long story... It's getting repaired next weekend.

EngineerDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 401A + Extras, 98 F-250LD
Do you have the collision avoidance system? (red light beam that pops up when you are getting too close to something at speed?)

I ask, because that actually does change the breaking system in collision situations and maybe defective, if it caused your car to act up prior to a collision, but not on open roads with nothing to trigger it. There's a whole section in the manual on the different things it does to the breaks depending on how long the warning is up etc.
Sponsored