Sponsored

Brake rotor question... UGHHHHH, I am a squid!

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
I know I'm going to sound like a tard so I'm just going to come out with it... what drilled and slotted rotors for the GTPP have the most bling??? I'm talking blind you if the sun hits it right bling! But seriously looking for the brightest rotors that are still good quality. Just looking for something to offset the black performance pack wheels. Doing the upgrade for looks. not necessarily performance (I know, I know.). Looking to keep the stock calipers, fwiw. Thanks in advance and let the flaming begin... roast away!!!

EDIT: I'm also frugal (ok, cheap so I'd like to keep it reasonable, for an insane looking set I'd spend a grand though. But they would have to be saaaawwwwwheat!!!

SECOND EDIT: I'm an even bigger moron than I realized because I just read an article that says brake rotors apparently aren't made from stainless! Although it is Napa...

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/brake-rotors-the-six-different-types/
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
I think for the bling I'm talking about I'm going to need to get a two piece rotor? Except for that awful caliper! And the weird drilled slotted with black paint thing, wth!

H10047_main-01.jpg

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Do some G2 caliper paint whatever color your heart desires. I did that and the Baer eradispeed 2 piece rotors and z26 powerstop pads. I also put a coat of ceramic on the hats to keep em nice.. OCD

CD0BA01D-D79F-4ED5-BEE6-7EF6029BAA2D.jpeg

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Whatever you do, don’t do the $600.00 Baer Sport slotted/drilled.
I went with them for my street setup while waiting for my back-ordered 2PC Steedas.
Ended up doing a few track days, and they’re pretty much toast.

9C4B6D80-81AF-4457-A03F-42178CD84C16.jpeg
F983087B-6F09-4C1D-8982-18165F9CE1A9.jpeg
DD2467DD-0F7C-4A41-98DE-D493C8F6170A.jpeg
9CE30E38-9F1A-4058-86F0-61A6FED42210.jpeg

E0A4051D-DA0D-4D47-AF7E-98B5B06DEE74.png

Sponsored

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
No matter how shiny they are when you buy them, rotors are going to rust. Especially cheap ones...
Not necessarily the drilled and slotted braking surface, but the outside edges and the hat; rust will build up on those surfaces unless you get something with treated or coated surfaces...
The centrics I have have a black, anti- rust coating on the hats and the outside edges. It's not shiny and sexy, but it's still dark black, and not ugly, rust-brown. And it looks great with my gloss black wheels and bright calipers.

Many people around here have the z26s or z23s from Powerstop and said good things about them; although I have seen other mixed reviews.

I get that you're looking for a visual upgrade; I was as well after I got the new Wheels. But at the end of the day I changed my mind and stayed away from the drilled and slotted rotors. I got the sense that it's more marketing and appealing to people's visual ascetic rather than quality and functionality.
And; like the guy above me points out; drilled rotors seem to frequently end up cracking like crazy... the more I see the more it looks like a gimmick

I did a ton of research and kept hearing that a "high carbon alloy" is the way to go. Who cares how good they look if they warp and crack.
And forget cheap... I learned the hard way after 3 sets of warped rotors on my 2001 Pontiac Grand Am. If only I knew then what I know now.
3 sets of cheap rotors cost more than one set of good ones.

And really the high carbon, USA made Centrics I got weren't that expensive, $260 for the fronts, $180 for the rears. So you don't necessarily have to spend a grand either.
I guess my advice would be; don't focus on the bling factor; focus on quality.

What they look like fresh out of the box doesn't mean shit after they're on your car for a year... and good quality rotors are probably the ones that will look better down the road anyway.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Drilled is by far the best bling for the street only though. Can't handle the hi temps unless they are extremely expensive made with special process similar to what Porsche does so there's no cracking around the holes.

Holes and grooves are a bit much.
Yea, isn't the hole cracking the most common problem with the "drilled" rotors? To me, just that alone is throwing money in the trash. It was a problem years ago and seems to still be an issue with certain rotors today, even ones used on daily drivers let alone for track days.

Is it true that the slotted rotors are less prone to the cracking?

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
You’re best bet to remain frugal and have a good look behind your rims is get some G2 caliper paint from Amazon and paint them to whatever color you like… rotors are really difficult to make look good, especially on a budget.
Sponsored