Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
After 3 track days, I noticed a "diagonal" wear pattern to the thickness of the pads on the driver's side caliper.

The thickness at the top of the outboard pad is 1mm thinner than at the bottom.
The thickness at the top of the inboard pad is 2.5mm thicker than at the bottom.

The wear pattern (looking from the rear forward) is like this:
|\ \|

The pad set is right down even with the scratchers, so I am replacing them before the next track day.

What's the deal?
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Seems like something might be binding at the caliper. Everything properly lubed and clean? Any odd wear pattern on the metal base of the pads?

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Yeah lube the hardware when you install the new pads and see if they wear the same. Per things I’ve read about race car prep many cars get pad hardware cleaned and lubed multiple times per race weekend so it seems to be critical to even pad wear. Pad wear will never be totally even but hopefully you can get closer.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
My rear pads have done this on two Mustangs. I’ve never seen it on front pads. The rear caliper bracket is too flexible I believe.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
My rear pads have done this on two Mustangs. I’ve never seen it on front pads. The rear caliper bracket is too flexible I believe.
Exactly, especially if you just have GT calipers, which are single piston sliders. These are notorious for all sorts of taper wear issues.

Sponsored

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Exactly, especially if you just have GT calipers, which are single piston sliders. These are notorious for all sorts of taper wear issues.
What brake set up do you recommend for track use?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
What brake set up do you recommend for track use?
I haven't really gone down this road, yet, but it seems the Shelby lash-up is pretty tough to beat.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
After 3 track days, I noticed a "diagonal" wear pattern to the thickness of the pads on the driver's side caliper.

The thickness at the top of the outboard pad is 1mm thinner than at the bottom.
The thickness at the top of the inboard pad is 2.5mm thicker than at the bottom.

The wear pattern (looking from the rear forward) is like this:
|\ \|

The pad set is right down even with the scratchers, so I am replacing them before the next track day.

What's the deal?
My OE pads wore the exact same way as you're describing. I had 3 track days on them, and less than 3,000 total miles on my 2020 PP1 S550. I swapped over to G-Loc pads for the last track day I had, and just pulled those pads last night, they wore even. I swapped back the OE's for weekend drives during this winter while the tracks are closed.
Sponsored