Sponsored

Brake Pads and Rotors for Street/Track use

qdog9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I have been taking my Mustang Ecoboost on the track and after racing at VIR, I ended up scoring my rotors. What would the best rotor/brake pad setup be for some track use on a car that is normally a daily driver without risk of ruining another set of rotors.
Thanks
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly because of the rotor cooling issues these brakes (non-Brembo) have because of the flipped vane inlet (on the outside vs. inside), upgrading to the Brembos is the best thing to do.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Honestly because of the rotor cooling issues these brakes (non-Brembo) have because of the flipped vane inlet (on the outside vs. inside), upgrading to the Brembos is the best thing to do.
So, are you saying they designed the stock rotors wrong?

Are all the aftermarket rotors made wrong too? Like brakemotive, ebay stuff etc.?

Last edited:

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Yes, the stock GT/EB PP front rotors are designed "wrong" for track use. I have never seen another brake rotor designed with cooling vanes on the outside of the hub. This makes it impossible to get cooling air directed to the center of the rotor so that it can flow out through the vanes and cool the rotor. To be fair, this rotor design will not be a problem for street driving, or even autocross. But if you go to a track, and start doing repeated hard braking from in excess of 100 mph, you will cook the front brakes. I know this from experience, having just done this at Road America in May. Brake pedal went to the floor after 6 laps, boiled fluid. Yes, racing fluid will help, as will track pads. But as you push the car harder, you will need to get cooling air to the rotors. The stock 4 piston rotors are worthless in this regard.

Sponsored

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
That's pretty crazy that they designed them that way. Wonder if the PP Brembo rotors are the same way?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
PP and GT350 rotors are done up the right way.

From a Vorshlag post elsewhere (earlier this year) . . . "Of course the S550 15" PP1 brakes (below) and 15.5" Shelby brakes don't have ass-backwards venting and they can be cooled for proper track use..."

B61G2104-L.jpg

Norm

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Brembo 6.jpeg
Here is a pic of the GT PP1 brakes from the outside (as installed on my car). No external venting.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
PP and GT350 rotors are done up the right way.

From a Vorshlag post elsewhere (earlier this year) . . . "Of course the S550 15" PP1 brakes (below) and 15.5" Shelby brakes don't have ass-backwards venting and they can be cooled for proper track use..."

B61G2104-L.jpg

Norm
Ok, I see
I haven't paid much attention to the stock brakes but you are saying with the rotors being open on the bottom. It prevents the rotors from cooling properly?

$.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I see
I haven't paid much attention to the stock brakes but you are saying with the rotors being open on the bottom. It prevents the rotors from cooling properly?

$.jpg
It's because they draw air from the outside face through the rotor, rather than the inside face where cool air can be ducted. You cannot see the vent inlets of the PP rotors when it is installed on the hub.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ok, I see

$.jpg
Correct on not cooling properly. But the airflow goes outward from the center, not inward from the outer diameter. Basically, the vanes between the faces of the rotors turn the rotors into centrifugal air pumps, flinging the air molecules radially outward . . .

When the center inlet is on the wheel side, you're not going to be getting large mass air flow (which is what it takes to cool down a rotor heated by hard braking of a heavy car). No way are you going to be able to run any cooling ducts to give these backwards-designed rotors the help they need even more than normal rotor designs.

Norm

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
ahh I see. That makes sense. Really crazy they would design them light that.
Wonder if the aftermarket rotors are the same.

Thinking more about the PP upgrade now. lol

Thanks for all the info guys,

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
All the aftermarket one piece rotors are the same. I've been talking with one company about developing one with the inlet on the inside though. Their early analysis showed some promise.

vteckiller2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
All the aftermarket one piece rotors are the same. I've been talking with one company about developing one with the inlet on the inside though. Their early analysis showed some promise.
Anything further on this? I just got an 18 EB PP and would rather not spend $1500 on the baer two piece rotors or swap most of my braking system for the brembo stuff.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Anything further on this? I just got an 18 EB PP and would rather not spend $1500 on the baer two piece rotors or swap most of my braking system for the brembo stuff.
They're working on it. Nothing concrete for timing yet, but it is being developed.
Sponsored