Sponsored

Brake pad suggestions for stock non-brembo brakes

YellowMelo28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Hey all, what pads are you using on your non-brembo, 4 piston brakes? Looking to replace all of them soon, need suggestions! (Anything easy to purchase in Canada is a bonus!)
Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
ford's oem are indestructible for regular driving, I'm at 56k miles and no need for replacement yet, how do i know? i bought new pads and my current pads are pretty good still lol

OP
OP

YellowMelo28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Ruby Red
ford's oem are indestructible for regular driving, I'm at 56k miles and no need for replacement yet, how do i know? i bought new pads and my current pads are pretty good still lol
During the winter the rears were squealing but probably because of the cold, but now the front ones are also making a slight bit of noise at random times. The occasional squealing is making me think they are due for a change soon:crackup:

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
During the winter the rears were squealing but probably because of the cold, but now the front ones are also making a slight bit of noise at random times. The occasional squealing is making me think they are due for a change soon:crackup:
Are you able to jack up the car yourself and pull the wheels to inspect pad life?

OP
OP

YellowMelo28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Are you able to jack up the car yourself and pull the wheels to inspect pad life?
Unfortunately no, I park in an underground lot and don't have access jacks. I had the brakes checked about a year and a half ago and the pads were 8mm in the front, 6mm in the back. Rotors were 31mm front and 25mm rear. I also drive mostly highways and don't brake too harsh. Would you think they would need to be replaced soon from that info?

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
mine does that too... that's why i bought the new pads, when i was going to change them, we noticed the original pads were in extremely good shape

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Unfortunately no, I park in an underground lot and don't have access jacks. I had the brakes checked about a year and a half ago and the pads were 8mm in the front, 6mm in the back. Rotors were 31mm front and 25mm rear. I also drive mostly highways and don't brake too harsh. Would you think they would need to be replaced soon from that info?
I see, that's what I was thinking, which is why I asked.
It's hard to say, because there are so many variables. If you're able to get someone to take a look first (whether trusted indy tech or dealer) this at least gives you an informed decision on whether you need to be replacing them now, based on what remaining life is left.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
See if you can find a small inspection mirror, kind of like what dentists use except a little bigger (and probably with a telescoping handle). That and a flashlight ought to be enough to get a rough idea.

There are also scales specifically for measuring pad wear, but I'm not sure how useful they might be with the wheels still mounted.

Norm

OP
OP

YellowMelo28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Ruby Red
mine does that too... that's why i bought the new pads, when i was going to change them, we noticed the original pads were in extremely good shape
Always nice to have backup. Any clue on what the part # is for the OEM 4 piston pads?

65 falcon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
grahame
Vehicle(s)
65 ford falcon / Audi Q2
Hey all, what pads are you using on your non-brembo, 4 piston brakes? Looking to replace all of them soon, need suggestions! (Anything easy to purchase in Canada is a bonus!)
i personally would try PFC brake pads in Z rate, better than stock pads, good for fast road and trackday use.Must be a pfc dealer in canada, worth a try in my opinion!.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I get 90k out of my Scion tC pad set. I change tires and pads together every 90k. Did it at 90k and 180k

I assume I will get about 70k out my mustangs Gt pads
Sponsored